The Student Room Group

What salary are you realistically expecting to earn?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tom78
Cheers for calling me a fool. What exactly is a post doc?

Cheers for rubbishing my chosen career when you clearly don't know what you are talking about..

What most people do between a PhD and academia. The research bit without the lecturing.
Reply 142
Original post by redferry
Cheers for rubbishing my chosen career when you clearly don't know what you are talking about..

What most people do between a PhD and academia. The research bit without the lecturing.

A bit precious?
Original post by Tom78
A bit precious?

Try not to sound like such a knob and people !might respond a bit more niceley :wink:

A better way to approach that if you wanted a civil response would be 'really? I thought academics earnt much less than that!'
Original post by Solemn Rain
What about your husband?
So how much would cut it?

My husbands money isnt my money. I may not ever marry :tongue:

A minimum of £800 after bills etc should do it.
Original post by CJKay
I'm not sure how you plan on working for a salary that could possibly pay for all of that and give you the time off for two holidays a year. Let's get real here, the jobs that pay you what you sound like you want to afford are not going to give you the free time that you desire.

Good thing I've already got it ayyy! :biggrin:
Reply 146
Commercial barrister, £100k in first year of practice (after pupillage), eventually rising to £1m+.
Reply 147
Medicine 500k in first year. Potentially rise to 2+ mil. First from Oxford and 5 A*s at A-Level.
Original post by Dekota-XS
Nursing, £67,000 per annum.

What type of nursing?
Commercial pilot (eventually), hopefully as a captain on a large aircraft I'd like to earn £150,000 per year.

Gonna take ages to get to that though. I'm about to kickstart my PPL flying.
Original post by JAIYEKO
Medicine 500k in first year. Potentially rise to 2+ mil. First from Oxford and 5 A*s at A-Level.

ehhh howww??!!!!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 151
Original post by brownbearxo
Good thing I've already got it ayyy! :biggrin:

And that job is..? :lol:
Reply 152
Original post by XXSimmyXX
ehhh howww??!!!!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hard work and went to a good college
I have no clue - I have no understanding of how lucrative a politics degree is but whatever I end up getting is good enough for me if I have a job I enjoy
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by CJKay
And that job is..? :lol:

The first one I was offered was in civil service. Salary is around £30,000.

The second was a gas/electricity company. It pays a little less, but I can probs squeeze one holiday in per year :wink:

You're still at uni, you could always consider a change of career if you think you're selling out! Neither are still recruiting but I'll let you know if I hear anything xx
Depends what I get into:

M&A Analysts make £50k+ as base and another £25-40k as bonus

Associate Consultant/Business Analysts at MBB is £40-45k plus a smaller bonus of circa ~£5k

Associate Product Managers at Google, FB. etc. earn about £60k plus £10-20k bonus

These are all graduate salaries by the way. Competition for these jobs is ridiculously high but there's no shame in trying.

If we're talking pipe dreams expectations then:

A Partner at a Venture Capital firm averages £600k plus £1.5mil+ carried interest
A high level exec at a tech firm gets £1-2mil
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JAIYEKO
Hard work and went to a good college

but hiw cime yoir medicine degree will earn u more money than ither people by that much?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 157
The first one I was offered was in civil service. Salary is around £30,000.

The second was a gas/electricity company. It pays a little less, but I can probs squeeze one holiday in per year :wink:

You're still at uni, you could always consider a change of career if you think you're selling out! Neither are still recruiting but I'll let you know if I hear anything xx

What are you on about? What on earth makes you think I would consider a change of career?
Original post by CJKay
What are you on about? What on earth makes you think I would consider a change of career?

Unbunch your knickers, its a joke! :biggrin:
Reply 159
Unbunch your knickers, its a joke! :biggrin:

Jokes are meant to be funny. :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending