The Student Room Group

Poll: Leonardo di Caprio or Will Smith, who do you think has had the best career ...?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheAnusFiles
1) sales don't equal quality. the avengers made far more money than the godfather did.
2) will smith was a mediocre rapper. no fan of rap would put him 'up there'. Id rather be a great actor like di caprio than mediocre at everything
3) highly regarded black actor? so what you are suggesting is that part of smith's popularity is due to his race and not the man himself?

The question isn't about who's more skillful, who's the more crafted actor, it's about who's had the best career.
Careers are measured (by most) in money earned and ventures undertaken.

Logic therefore says that's Smith.
Original post by iheartplums
LD has the best films but WS has charisma which a lot of actors seem to lack these days. They both have fantastic careers so I don't think I could pick between the two.

This is an excellent critique. Here is mine:

WS has the best films but LD has charisma which a lot of actors seem to lack these days. They both have fantastic careers so I don't think I could pick between the two.
Original post by Drewski
The question isn't about who's more skillful, who's the more crafted actor, it's about who's had the best career.
Careers are measured (by most) in money earned and ventures undertaken.

Logic therefore says that's Smith.

Wrong. Money is an indicator of 'success' but not who will be revered in years to come.

Successful - Smith
Legendary - DiCaprio
Will Smith has had the best career I believe

Also looks a lot better

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wrong. Money is an indicator of 'success' but not who will be revered in years to come.

Can't trot out "wrong" as if you're some sole arbiter of fact, you know.

Reverence doesn't automatically have anything to do with career success either. Steve Martin is revered but a lot of his films are utter pap.
Original post by Friendly Liberal

WS has the best films but LD has charisma which a lot of actors seem to lack these days. They both have fantastic careers so I don't think I could pick between the two.

Just cos you ain't getting no pussy.
Original post by Drewski
Can't trot out "wrong" as if you're some sole arbiter of fact, you know.

Reverence doesn't automatically have anything to do with career success either. Steve Martin is revered but a lot of his films are utter pap.

Revered? I would go that far. Comedic actors generally aren't respected the same way dramatic ones are.

I'm talking like Brando, De Niro, Dean, Pacino, De Niro etc
Original post by lovingislosing
Will Smith has had the best career I believe

Also looks a lot better

Posted from TSR Mobile

Than di caprio?

Lol? The Departed alone is better than all the films WS has starred in put together.
Original post by Drewski
Hard to argue against...

"Admired by some" might be a more appropriate choice of words.

And films are an art form and all art is subjective. Quantifying one over another is largely a fools' game.

Regarding films as an art form is also subjective :wink: Don't think anyone can have a subjective view of acting in a film though, it tends to be definitive
Reply 30
Di caprio hasn't made anything that is closer to me than Fresh Prince. I'll watch that when I'm an old man.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by h3isenberg
Regarding films as an art form is also subjective :wink: Don't think anyone can have a subjective view of acting in a film though, it tends to be definitive

If it were then award shows would be needless :wink:
Original post by Cornelius
Lol? The Departed alone is better than all the films WS has starred in put together.

I was being sarcastic.
Than di caprio?

Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whaaaaat
Whaaaaat

I find will Smith more attractive, what's the issue?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

... I look kinda like di caprio...

nah theres no issue hahaha
Reply 37
Will Smith.

Next Question. Smith does amazing work to get into character and follows a strict work ethic.

While Leo's movies are brilliantly crafted and directed, Smith has grossed more than him.

They are both excellent and hard working actors.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Apparently when Will Smith was shooting for I, Robot, in the scene in his apartment, where he is in the shower, his penis was strapped to his leg because it was too long and therefore visible on camera.
Reply 39
Apparently when Will Smith was shooting for I, Robot, in the scene in his apartment, where he is in the shower, his penis was strapped to his leg because it was too long and therefore visible on camera.

Yh that happens to me all the time

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest