The Student Room Group

Mathematical Proof Problem! Oxbridge interview,

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DomStaff
Yes that makes perfect sense. It's just why the number of subsets = 2^n.

The induction proof makes perfect sense, namely that assume k elements {1,2...k} has 2^k subsets, so if we introduce another element, giving us k+1 elements, we have all the subsets from before and each subset with the k+1th element as well, hence 2 * 2^k = 2^k+1.

The proof which I am struggling to get my head around is that for every element we can either put it in the subset or not, hence 2^n different ways of choosing subsets.

But the way it is worded is that x_1 can either be in the subset or not, but all elements end up in a subset, hence I don't see where this comes from? As if we applied this rule to every subset we make, then it seems to me the total would be greater than 2^n; I am obviously overlooking a small, trivial detail.

All elements do end up in a subset, certainly - but you're overcounting here. You're adding {1, 2} twice, for instance - once for 1 and once for 2. (The Inclusion-Exclusion principle tells you how to do this exactly - it's closely related.)

The "reason" it's true is that I can specify any subset by the following method: "1 is in; 2 is not in; 3 is in; n is in". This can be represented as a binary number (in this case, 101…1) with 1 for "in" and 0 for "not in". What's the number of binary numbers of length n? Obviously 2^n.

The inductive one is fine, though.
Reply 21
Original post by Jammy Duel
I'll use spoilers to let you consider the question before looking at the solution. You should also get given some guidance with questions, after all, they don't expect you to know everything already, they want you to have to think.

So, in a practice interview I was asked something along the lines of "How many trailing, non-decimal, zeros are there are on 100!?"

Spoiler

After going through this it was followed up by "How many trailing, non-decimal, zeroes in 1000! ?"

Spoiler

Thank you for the insight, however, I had already came across a question like this the other day, hence I didn't have to 'think' much.

May I ask whether you applied to Oxford/Cambridge and which questions they asked you in your real interview?

Thanks.
Thank you for the insight, however, I had already came across a question like this the other day, hence I didn't have to 'think' much.

May I ask whether you applied to Oxford/Cambridge and which questions they asked you in your real interview?

Thanks.

To be fair on everyone, typically recent interview questions aren't shared publicly. This is a controversial policy (because if you went to an elite private school, they'd give you plenty of questions from past students). However I agree it's the right thing to do, because it just further creates an imbalance of people who know specific questions and those who don't.

The good news is I can give you a massive source of questions at the appropriate difficulty; STEP I questions have been adapted for interview questions. It might be slightly overkill to prepare for interview with STEP I, but you'll have to take STEP to get in eventually, so might as well get used to the papers now :smile:

Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not everybody will have come across it before :tongue:

In the end, I did not apply, didn't put enough effort into AS, however the practice started pretty early at my school, in the spring term of AS IIRC.

Quick Reply

Latest