The Student Room Group

How do astronauts urinate or defecate in space?

I watch a lot of sci fi films and they never address this. Does anyone know how they do it both on space walks and in the space station?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Brann
I watch a lot of sci fi films and they never address this. Does anyone know how they do it both on space walks and in the space station?

Toilet bit starts at like 4:45
I imagine they just float around amongst their poos and wees.
Reply 3
Thanks for sharing your knowledge
Original post by Brann

The video above says how they do it on the space station. I think on space walks they have some kind of nappy. It sounds pretty unpleasant as space walks can last many hours.
During launch and on space walks they wear nappies or diapers as Americans call them. When that woman astronaut cracked up and drove across the country to kill her love rival she used the same technique lol. All this is progress from the first American in space Alan Shepard. His launch was badly delayed until he errrrrrrrrr relieved his bladder inside his suit lol. After that NASA paid more attention to unscheduled bodily functions. Apparently in the Apollo missions the stench in the spacecraft after the flight was absolutely unbearable. The recovery divers needed to open the hatch and stand well back for some time.
Oh in his book Buzz Aldrin admits to relieving himself early on during his moon walk.
Reply 7
Original post by Manitude
The video above says how they do it on the space station. I think on space walks they have some kind of nappy. It sounds pretty unpleasant as space walks can last many hours.

So astronauts wear nappies!?! They don't seem as cool as I thought lol.
They wait till they are orbiting over Russia and pee over the side of the spaceship, shouting USA! USA!
Original post by Brann
So astronauts wear nappies!?! They don't seem as cool as I thought lol.

They're wearing nappies while travelling at nearly 30,000km/h, 400km above the Earth's surface in the vacuum of space. It's still awesome that there's people up there, and there's been at least one human in space for nearly 14 years.
But how do they wipe their ass without bits of turd floating off? How do they change said diapers without this issue? I always thought they stuck a suction pipe onto their relevant bits before relieving themselves. As far as im aware, no astronaut has spewed in space. You how sometimes you just have to without warning.
Original post by Laomedeia
But how do they wipe their ass without bits of turd floating off? How do they change said diapers without this issue? I always thought they stuck a suction pipe onto their relevant bits before relieving themselves. As far as im aware, no astronaut has spewed in space. You how sometimes you just have to without warning.

Il let Chris Hadfield the legend explain..
[video="youtube;5JPuaRBTMKs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JPuaRBTMKs[/video]
Original post by College_Dropout
Il let Chris Hadfield the legend explain..

That is a fascinating explanation on the business of going to the bog.
They wear disposable nappies for the launch and space walks. Their is a bit in the science museum explaining it I think with some of the nappies on display. Apparently the g force is so strong at the launch that the balder evacuates filling up the whole nappy.
Reply 14
Original post by Laomedeia
As far as im aware, no astronaut has spewed in space. You how sometimes you just have to without warning.

That is allegedly where the expression "suck it up" comes from - in this case, quite literally. Originally applying to fighter pilots.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
Step outside the shuttle and urinate facing the back wheel. Alternatively just hope you happen to pass a tree... Although it's dark so I doubt anyone will see you anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
What do they do if they run out of nappies???
Reply 17
Original post by Maid Marian
I imagine they just float around amongst their poos and wees.

LOL that's disgusting!
Reply 18
Just to point out something here - no human being has ever actually been beyond the earth's atmosphere or anywhere in space. This whole astronaut business is a complete farce. I don't know how NASA has been able to continue to sell this farce for so many decades.
Good to see there is still an interest in astronauts. Most of the time I feel like nobody has been bothered about it since the shuttle was in use, but it's always nice to see people intrigued by it and asking questions. I genuinely hope it can be my future profession in around 15-20 years.

If it turns out that way, I'll make sure I come back to this and let you know what it's like from personal experience!
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest