The Student Room Group

What salary are you realistically expecting to earn?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by calky360
Moving from Australia, is 23K-25K starting grad salary okay to be comfortable outside of London (North-West England region)? Probably living quite frugally in share accommodation, but I'd like to travel a lot whilst in UK.

Have you got a car? Because rail ticket prices are extortionate here... In places like Newcastle the rent is pretty cheap though, so you should be fine. You can live reasonably comfortably on that of money in the north, whereas you'd be pretty miserable in London.

Posted from TSR Mobile
At least £52,000+

If I get good at my job, at least £150,000+

If I am great at my job, at least £1,000,000+

Hopefully I end up being great at my job haha!
Reply 182
Original post by Arithmeticae
£20000-30000 hopefully.

Poor boy
I really couldn't care less as long as I can live reasonably comfortably.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Crazy92
At least £52,000+

If I get good at my job, at least £150,000+

If I am great at my job, at least £1,000,000+

Hopefully I end up being great at my job haha!

What segment of the financial industry do you work in?
Original post by NightOwl1985
PMSL.....

A fair amount on this thread wee bubble will be pop when reality comes down upon them!

And who are you to determine what someone's 'reality' is going to look like?

Just because people have ambition doesn't mean you can come on here like some all knowing sage and put on this 'wiser than thou' act to reel people into your definition of 'reality'. This forum is heavily skewed towards overachievers and the fact is there are indeed some people here who have (and will eventually have) had financial success in their careers.
Original post by Princepieman
What segment of the financial industry do you work in?

Trading
I want to get an MEng from an RG Uni, which should start me off at a minimum of £25k. If I can work up to a CEng, I don't see why I couldn't earn at least £50k
Original post by Nirgilis
Some sort of research chemistry (either academic or industrial) :h: . Will probably start out on about £18k as science graduates are undervalued, but there are plenty of opportunities to rapidly expand into the £28-36k bracket :yep:

Mate was a fresh grad at AZ R&D last September, he gets 33k plus his golden handshake, he'll be knocking 50k pretty soon.

OP-41k, 44k, then 96k for the next 3 years, beyond that dunno, maybe 500k?

Original post by neal95
Corporate city law 90k plus eventually, obviously as a graduate it will be far less and would have to work my way up

Eventually? You'll be in for a pleasant suprise when you see what the partners earn, I'll make that as a NQ.
(edited 9 years ago)

Just because people have ambition doesn't mean you can come on here like some all knowing sage and put on this 'wiser than thou' act to reel people into your definition of 'reality'. This forum is heavily skewed towards overachievers and the fact is there are indeed some people here who have (and will eventually have) had financial success in their careers.

Wind yer neck in!

Reality: as reading this is stinks of head in the cluds mentality with some. Not reeling but you obviously feel under threat,poor soul. You wee bumble bursting..?

Wind yer neck in!

Reality: as reading this is stinks of head in the cluds mentality with some. Not reeling but you obviously feel under threat,poor soul. You wee bumble bursting..?

Wish I was 17/18 again. Such fun!
Wind yer neck in!

I expect to earn at least £52k pa straight out of uni.

Do you think my bubble will burst, or is it unrealistic?

What do you think?
Wind yer neck in!

Alright, now you're referencing my age for what exactly?

Yeah, and is there anything wrong with that? Why can't people set goals and have ambition for their careers? Why settle for mediocrity if you have the opportunity, skills and education to better yourself?

And no, my 'bumble' isn't bursting I don't even know what that expression is alluding to.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 193
Original post by Crazy92

What do you think?

There is nowhere that is going to pay a new graduate near that amount. New grads are risky enough without paying them such huge salaries. The vast majority of degrees will start you out on about 18k-25k, with the higher end ones reaching around £30k.
Original post by Crazy92

What do you think?

What do you want to do?

Unless you want to do certain City finance work, get pupillage at some seriously brutal set or be an engineer somewhere with danger pay (ranging from the rigs to Isis controlled Syria) it's probably fairly unlikely.
Original post by Le Nombre
Mate was a fresh grad at AZ R&D last September, he gets 33k plus his golden handshake, he'll be knocking 50k pretty soon.

OP-41k, 44k, then 96k for the next 3 years, beyond that dunno, maybe 500k?

Eventually? You'll be in for a pleasant suprise when you see what the partners earn, I'll make that as a NQ.

are you realistically expecting to earn 500k eventually?
Original post by CJKay
There is nowhere that is going to pay a new graduate near that amount. New grads are risky enough without paying them such huge salaries. The vast majority of degrees will start you out on about 18k-25k, with the higher end ones reaching around £30k.

Excluding Oil and Gas, Investment Banking, Consulting and Corporate Law..

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/9441915/Graduate-jobs-top-10-starting-salaries.html
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by The Assassin
are you realistically expecting to earn 500k eventually?

I dunno really, depends how good I turn out to be at my job, which I have no idea about yet, but if I made equity partner at a decent City firm or moved in house and got a GC role it's not beyond the bounds of possibility. It's probably about a 1 in 3/4 shot? It's not probable but it's not unrealistic for me to get there.
(edited 9 years ago)
£100k+ or I'm gonna kill myself srs.

I'm not gonna work a crap job for meagre pay, slaving away on almost little sleep and being bored out of my mind.
All jobs are boring as f. Gotta aim high or you have nothing to work for.
Reply 199
Excluding Oil and Gas, Investment Banking, Consulting and Corporate Law..

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/9441915/Graduate-jobs-top-10-starting-salaries.html

I just looked through all the links on that page and I can't find anything mention those four.

Original post by I'veGotAHadron
£100k+ or I'm gonna kill myself srs.

I'm not gonna work a crap job for meagre pay, slaving away on almost little sleep and being bored out of my mind.
All jobs are boring as f. Gotta aim high or you have nothing to work for.

In all likelihood you will be slaving away on almost little sleep and being bored out of your mind on £100k as well. It's pretty much an inverse bell curve of salary:slavery.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending