The Student Room Group

How to start a personal statement

i want to read economics and politics, how can i start my personal statement in an interesting manner that intrigues the admission tutors. I hear all sorts of opening lines from questions to quotes, but how can i make mine an absolute head gripper.:colondollar:

also what to include in the personal statement

thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Try and make it interesting, something that captures the reader from the first word. TSR has a collection of example Personal Statements.
Start with these words I`d say:
As
From
Since
The

not something like I...

e.g. As the world economy continues to expand as trade opportunities and economies develop the...

:smile:
what do you do you think of starting with a quote from a famous economist or a question
Original post by golden tribe
what do you do you think of starting with a quote from a famous economist or a question

incredibly cliché
Reply 4

Dont use a quote from someone, the admission tutors what to hear about what you want to say, not about what someone else'ss thoughts or opinions.

A good idea would be to define economics (i think thats what you want to study) but define the subject in terms of what it means to you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
The best way to start is to intorduce why you want to do your subject I.e. "I first got into blah blah blah when......." or an experience from the past that made you think yeah I like this subject sort of thing. Think of your personal statement as a timeline of things you want to do, and around the 2nd or middle paragraph mention hobbies/ work expeirence/ subjects you have chosen that are related to your subject and why. Also reseach on it. Finally do a 'what I hope for the future' paragraph

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by + polarity -
incredibly cliché

what do you suggest
what do you suggest

I'd work on the rest of the PS first, then you can come back to the beginning because whatever you write will sound a little bit mawkish. I started with a couple of big examples (I was applying for engineering) of how engineering is important. Then something about a book I read, which I used to link the big examples with why I thought engineering was the right choice for me.
Don't start with a quotation and don't try to tell the admissions tutors what their subject is. They already know that, rather better than you. Start with 'I want to study X because' as a place holder sentence to get you started and come back to it when you've got the basics down. You'll make many drafts of your ps, so a better start will come when it's good and ready.
"Hi my name's Dave and I'm an alcoholic."
Reply 10
i want to read economics and politics, how can i start my personal statement in an interesting manner that intrigues the admission tutors. I hear all sorts of opening lines from questions to quotes, but how can i make mine an absolute head gripper.:colondollar:

thanks

My friend and I both applied for economics and started pretty much exactly the same way.

Basically just said 'My interest in economics dervied from my experience of travelling to xxxx' and so on.

Telling them about your experience in another country is always a nice, simple way of getting the ball rolling.
(edited 9 years ago)

thanks

I'm starting mine with a bit of a backstory as to what first sparked an interest in my course.

"When I was a child..."

Posted from TSR Mobile
This thread just made me read what I put for the start of my personal statement.

Christ, how did I get any offers :lol:
Original post by Solivagant
This thread just made me read what I put for the start of my personal statement.

Christ, how did I get any offers :lol:

You started with a quote, didn't you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Coffeetime
You started with a quote, didn't you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh no, it was worse than that.
Reply 15
"As far back as I remember, I have always wanted to be a filthy capitalist.."
I'm starting mine with a bit of a backstory as to what first sparked an interest in my course.

"When I was a child..."

Posted from TSR Mobile

Honestly, the admissions tutors don't care about your childhood. They want to know why you're interested now, not why you were interested as a child.

Admissions tutors have heard every opening before. Unless you've led a very interesting life, you're not going to impress them with an opening sentence. You can simply start with 'I am interested in [subject] because...' and still produce a personal statement that's stronger than 95% of other ones.
Original post by Solivagant
Oh no, it was worse than that.

Ooo. Now I'm curious. Okay. I was before. But it worked out for you, right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PythianLegume
Honestly, the admissions tutors don't care about your childhood. They want to know why you're interested now, not why you were interested as a child.

Admissions tutors have heard every opening before. Unless you've led a very interesting life, you're not going to impress them with an opening sentence. You can simply start with 'I am interested in [subject] because...' and still produce a personal statement that's stronger than 95% of other ones.

It's not like I'm writing an autobiography. I'm just stating what got me interested in the course. But I will definitely keep your advice in mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ooo. Now I'm curious. Okay. I was before. But it worked out for you, right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, it worked out, got 5 offers :thumbsup:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending