The Student Room Group

Does anybody think that Ross Barkley is currently overrated?

Scroll to see replies

Agreed. People were calling for him to be played in the WC but when he came on all he tried were big solo runs before inevitably getting tackled. Very overrated.
Original post by Manchester United
He's good, but he's not Adnan Januzaj.

No one is.
Original post by manchesterunited15
No one is.

PRSOM :wink:
Original post by tengentoppa
Agreed. People were calling for him to be played in the WC but when he came on all he tried were big solo runs before inevitably getting tackled. Very overrated.

Have you seen him play for Everton? All the players in the WC were crap
Original post by TheAnusFiles
Have you seen him play for Everton? All the players in the WC were crap

I'm not denying he had a good season, but people said he should be starting for England. Based on his performances for England, he clearly should not.
He's no Jack Wilshere
Bale wasn't pulling up any trees at Barkley's age either really but look what's happened the last 3 years or so. He's got the potential to go a long way so long as he doesn't get too comfortable like we've seen with plenty others down the years. Would be a travesty for him to end up warming the bench at City/Chelsea.
He's got a lot of developing to do still imo.
Reply 28
He's a good player with good potential. He had one good season at Everton, to be a good player you need to consistently have good seasons where you improve year on year.

At the moment if he continues improving and playing well he could be worth the hype but the jury is still out on him :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by scriggy
Bale wasn't pulling up any trees at Barkley's age either really but look what's happened the last 3 years or so. He's got the potential to go a long way so long as he doesn't get too comfortable like we've seen with plenty others down the years. Would be a travesty for him to end up warming the bench at City/Chelsea.

Gareth Bale at the age of 21(one year older than Barkley) got a hattrick vs inter milan...
Original post by jam278
Gareth Bale at the age of 21(one year older than Barkley) got a hattrick vs inter milan...

And at 20 he was the guy that looked like a monkey who went 24 games without being on the winning side for Spurs. He had potential but little else then, same as Barkley now.
I'm not denying he had a good season, but people said he should be starting for England. Based on his performances for England, he clearly should not.

Neither should rooney or wishere or anyone except sterling
he didn't have much of an impact in the England team, he did have his moments though with the odd getting past defenders.
Reply 33
All season I never saw what the fuss was about... He could become great, but he's certainly not great right now. Looks like he's permanently confused and he plays like it too, only has one thought at all times - run at the goal and shoot. If he wasn't English he'd be a complete nobody.
Original post by Zürich
He's no Jack Wilshere

Wilshere is crap
Original post by mhsc
All season I never saw what the fuss was about... He could become great, but he's certainly not great right now. Looks like he's permanently confused and he plays like it too, only has one thought at all times - run at the goal and shoot. If he wasn't English he'd be a complete nobody.

How many everton games have you seen?
Reply 36
How many everton games have you seen?

Can't say I counted, but quite a lot - every game against top 4, both games against Utd, both games against Southampton all for sure. Possibly some others as well. Watched them quite a lot because of Lukaku, and Fantasy Football. Pretty sure Barkley didn't play in all of them tho.
(edited 9 years ago)
Neither should rooney or wishere or anyone except sterling

Agreed on Wilshere, but Rooney got a goal and an assist. He deserved to be included.
Wilshere is crap

lol
Reply 39
Agreed on Wilshere, but Rooney got a goal and an assist. He deserved to be included.

I hate it when people use this line. His general performance was poor bar those two imo as was the rest of the team.

Also think that Hodgson tactics ****ed up the whole team.

Quick Reply

Latest