The Student Room Group

Anyone else have bad eyesight?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kathy89
My friends know that I'm blind without glasses so they are not angry with me for not recognizing me. Fellow students on the other hand are, future optometrists hate patients like me.

Wear your glasses. Seriously. Just wear them. You're going to get yourself killed or hurt or something walking around with that prescription without correction.

You're right we hate patients like you. Because sometimes people try and blame us for the patient not wearing their glasses even though we've tried our best to get the patient to wear them.

You won't look stupid with them on, if that's your main concern. You'll look very stupid indeed when you fall down a set of stairs because you didn't see them.
Original post by Limpopo
Come come now, im sure you dont. Specs have become so trendy and fashionable now. I think a pair of trendy specs can look great..be brave,post pic..

I do! And I like eye makeup and imo my eyes are my best feature so I don't want to cover it with glasses. Also, I have a wide head so most glasses don't look right on me (my optician even said this haha).
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
Wear your glasses. Seriously. Just wear them. You're going to get yourself killed or hurt or something walking around with that prescription without correction.

You're right we hate patients like you. Because sometimes people try and blame us for the patient not wearing their glasses even though we've tried our best to get the patient to wear them.

You won't look stupid with them on, if that's your main concern. You'll look very stupid indeed when you fall down a set of stairs because you didn't see them.

I'm not that blind, thank you. I just don't recognize people's faces or writings. I drive with glasses on (the full correction). I see no life threat in walking around the town not seeing well. I see the traffic-lights well and the vehicles, I see there are people at the distance but not who they are.
And no, it is not about looking stupid. It's a bit deeper actually, but I don't really want to talk about it. It makes me feel better not wearing glasses when I don't have too. And I'm trying to improve my eyesight (at least the visual acuity).
(edited 9 years ago)
mine is -3.25
Original post by Kathy89
I'm not that blind, thank you. I just don't recognize people's faces or writings. I drive with glasses on (the full correction). I see no life threat in walking around the town not seeing well. I see the traffic-lights well and the vehicles, I see there are people at the distance but not who they are.

I'm going to apologise, because that came off way harsher than I intended it to. I'm just looking at all the people in this thread who are like 'oh I'm -7 and I don't wear them' or whatever and I'm just... ugh. Why would you not wear your glasses if they've been prescribed, regardless of what your prescription actually is?
I'm going to apologise, because that came off way harsher than I intended it to. I'm just looking at all the people in this thread who are like 'oh I'm -7 and I don't wear them' or whatever and I'm just... ugh. Why would you not wear your glasses if they've been prescribed, regardless of what your prescription actually is?
Already explained it in the eddited post...

It is not about looking stupid. It's a bit deeper actually, but I don't really want to talk about it here. It makes me feel better not wearing glasses when I don't have too. And I'm trying to improve my eyesight (at least the visual acuity).
Original post by Kathy89

It is not about looking stupid. It's a bit deeper actually, but I don't really want to talk about it here. It makes me feel better not wearing glasses when I don't have too. And I'm trying to improve my eyesight (at least the visual acuity).

It wasn't only directed at you, that's my main point. I meant to direct it at every single person in this thread (and there's at least 2 by my very vague look at it) who doesn't wear glasses when they need them.
It wasn't only directed at you, that's my main point. I meant to direct it at every single person in this thread (and there's at least 2 by my very vague look at it) who doesn't wear glasses when they need them.

Sorry for taking it so personally (you can clearly see I have issues with that).
Yeah, I was wondering why people with high prescription not wearing glasses too... especially when they clearly can't really function without them.
-3, last time I checked. Guess that's not as bad as I thought. But I still need glasses though
Original post by Kathy89
Sorry for taking it so personally (you can clearly see I have issues with that).
Yeah, I was wondering why people with high prescription not wearing glasses too... especially when they clearly can't really function without them.

Like, down to about maybe a -3 I can sort of understand. Mine's -2 on the worst axis and I can see... alright. I would probably be able to drive (though I'm not legally supposed to) without them. But people on here with -7 or -8 not wearing them? That's insane.
Original post by Kathy89
So the acuity loss is something new. When were you diagnosed?

I was about 4 (so, 1993) when I was diagnosed with Nystagmus and was diagnosed with Optic Atrophy in 2010.
Original post by OU Student
I was about 4 (so, 1993) when I was diagnosed with Nystagmus and was diagnosed with Optic Atrophy in 2010.

I supposed you are seeing a doc every half a year to see the progress. Try not to strain your eyes too much, maybe reading larger fonts while studying would make things easier for you.
Original post by Kathy89
I supposed you are seeing a doc every half a year to see the progress. Try not to strain your eyes too much, maybe reading larger fonts while studying would make things easier for you.

I'm not, no. They derided they couldn't do anything for me; so just discharged me.
Original post by OU Student
I'm not, no. They derided they couldn't do anything for me; so just discharged me.

It should be monitored to see if there are any changes.
Reply 94
Original post by Kathy89

This is something i can definitely relate to.
Its not like i won't see a car coming...Or as somebody else mentioned on here - seeing a flight of stairs. That's ludricous. I am not blind. I just don't see things clearly. I haven't been wearing glasses in public for the last 6 years and i've never done something stupid like walking into a lamp. Not wearing glasses does not risk your safety...Unless you live in an area with high crime rates. Which i don't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
-9.5 in my left eye and -11.5 in my right. I've been wearing glasses since I was 2. I have an astigmatism in my left and my right eye is squint :')
Original post by mmaryam
This is something i can definitely relate to.
Its not like i won't see a car coming...Or as somebody else mentioned on here - seeing a flight of stairs. That's ludricous. I am not blind. I just don't see things clearly. I haven't been wearing glasses in public for the last 6 years and i've never done something stupid like walking into a lamp. Not wearing glasses does not risk your safety...Unless you live in an area with high crime rates. Which i don't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But still, -7 is very high, you basically need glasses to read from a logical distance, you won't see the person next to you on a night out or when shopping it will take ages for you to find the things you need/want... I feel like that when I only have half of your prescription.
Cant remember the exact numbers but both eyes are roughly -7/8. I hate wearing my glasses because they are so thick and I get self conscious + I don't want to wear contact lenses because I hate putting things in my eyes. Meaning that I am forced to wear glasses :frown:
Reply 98
Original post by TaciturnPhantom
Ha ha, thanks. :biggrin:

No one's broken my glasses before. But I've lost them once and had to wait about a month for a new replacement. I had to hold the textbooks in school close to my face and my handwriting became big too during that time. And I've done that before: losing my glasses for a whole day - "Da*** did I do with my glasses? :wtf: ...Oh, they've been right here the whole time. :argh:" :lol:

What are contact lenses like to wear?

Contact lenses still take me a while to put in but I guess practise makes perfect :s-smilie: weirdly for me everything looks bigger when i wear contact lenses:confused:
Also after you've worn them for 12 hours they can start to dry your eyes out. Once pinched my eye while removing contact lenses and it was bleeding D:
Reply 99
Original post by LonelyPlanet
How? Surely you can't see without glasses and almost impossible to go about with your daily activities without glasses??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats why you have to wear glasses all the time:tongue: (or at least I do cos I can't see much otherwise :s-smilie:)
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest