The Student Room Group

A level history

Hello, i have chosen to take a level history and i was wondering for anyone who does it what's it like? Is it a difficult course? And i have not taken History at GCSE but am fairly good at writing as i hope to get an AA in English Lit and Lang, thanks for the advice.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lkaratu
Hello, i have chosen to take a level history and i was wondering for anyone who does it what's it like? Is it a difficult course? And i have not taken History at GCSE but am fairly good at writing as i hope to get an AA in English Lit and Lang, thanks for the advice.

I think LilyLouise member or bookworm has done the subjects of yours. Join with them:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by lkaratu

There are different topics available depending on the exam board.

A-level History is a demanding course, as History is an academically rigorous subject. However History mainly involves reading, remembering key facts and writing essays. A-level English, and History are similar. History requires more revision than English.

Let me know if I can help further.

Reply 3
If you are studying Edexcel, contact Mr Ben Williams, he is a History and English tutor. I can PM you his email address if you require.
Reply 4
Original post by KH94
There are different topics available depending on the exam board.

A-level History is a demanding course, as History is an academically rigorous subject. However History mainly involves reading, remembering key facts and writing essays. A-level English, and History are similar. History requires more revision than English.

Thanks, so you're saying that A-level History is harder than A-level English Literature? And also my school is doing the AQA examination board, dO you have any information or opinions on how difficult/interesting A-level History is? And also do you think it will be okay if i have not studied History at GCSE?
Original post by lkaratu

I've recently finished the course and I absolutely loved it! Depending on the topics, it's very interesting :smile: it is considered a fairly difficult A level however, if you enjoy it and are prepared to put the work into it, you shouldn't struggle too much. You'll need a pretty good memory to remember everything as their is A LOT of content and literally anything could come up in the exam.

You'll also need to be fairly talented at writing essays if you want to hit the top marks, which with your potential English grades, seems like you'll cope just fine. Source analysis can be a bit tricky at times but if you practise, you should manage well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did AS History, studying the Tudors - from Richard III to Henry VIII and Wolsey - all about international relations, relations with nobility, Richard's downfall as well as the Woodvilles
Also I studied Civil Rights which I found far more interesting tbh
AS consists of 2 papers - cw in A2
It's a lot of work ngl and you have to learn a hell of a lot of dates whatever topic you study but as long as you keep good notes filed throughout the year and practice essays throughout the course you'll be well prepared when it comes to revision

good luck
Reply 7
Original post by Changing Skies
I've recently finished the course and I absolutely loved it! Depending on the topics, it's very interesting :smile: it is considered a fairly difficult A level however, if you enjoy it and are prepared to put the work into it, you shouldn't struggle too much. You'll need a pretty good memory to remember everything as their is A LOT of content and literally anything could come up in the exam.

You'll also need to be fairly talented at writing essays if you want to hit the top marks, which with your potential English grades, seems like you'll cope just fine. Source analysis can be a bit tricky at times but if you practise, you should manage well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the advice, do you think it will be okay to take A-level History if i have not done it at GCSE?
Original post by lkaratu
Thanks for the advice, do you think it will be okay to take A-level History if i have not done it at GCSE?

You're welcome :smile: definitely, they're so different it won't really benefit you much if you do the GCSE. I don't think mine helped me much, anyway :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by lkaratu

I found History to be the easiest of my A-levels (for me it was a lot easier than English Lit) but some people also find it really difficult. A lot of people in my class didn't take it at GCSE so it shouldn't be too much of a problem - I did, and it was completely different to GCSE anyway. My advice would be to focus on the exam technique - you don't need to memorise every single fact and date to get a top grade, the way you write your essays is more important.
Reply 10
Original post by pseudonymegg
I did AS History, studying the Tudors - from Richard III to Henry VIII and Wolsey - all about international relations, relations with nobility, Richard's downfall as well as the Woodvilles
Also I studied Civil Rights which I found far more interesting tbh
AS consists of 2 papers - cw in A2
It's a lot of work ngl and you have to learn a hell of a lot of dates whatever topic you study but as long as you keep good notes filed throughout the year and practice essays throughout the course you'll be well prepared when it comes to revision

good luck

Thanks for the help
Original post by lkaratu

I took it at A-Level without taking it at GCSE. I got an A in AS and am hoping for an A in A2. There is absolutely not reason why you can't do well, as long as you're willing to work hard. The only difference between you and those that have done it at GCSE is that they will have experience with sources. However, the source evaluation/analysis at A-Level is much different to how it is at GCSE (or at least that's what I was told by my teachers).

Good luck!
Reply 12
Original post by StephenNaulls
I took it at A-Level without taking it at GCSE. I got an A in AS and am hoping for an A in A2. There is absolutely not reason why you can't do well, as long as you're willing to work hard. The only difference between you and those that have done it at GCSE is that they will have experience with sources. However, the source evaluation/analysis at A-Level is much different to how it is at GCSE (or at least that's what I was told by my teachers).

Good luck!
Thanks for the help.
Reply 13
Original post by lkaratu
Thanks, so you're saying that A-level History is harder than A-level English Literature? And also my school is doing the AQA examination board, dO you have any information or opinions on how difficult/interesting A-level History is? And also do you think it will be okay if i have not studied History at GCSE?

I find History very interesting. It is probably easier than A-level English Literature if you are good at remembering facts and writing essays. It is more revision, and you need to use your own knowledge and be able to use sources effectively.

I myself did not take GCSE History, and instead studied GCSE Geography. It is not a problem that you have not studied History at GCSE level, and if it concerns you at all my advice would be to buy some books or speak to a GCSE History teacher, it is very easy to condense the curriculum. However I must emphasise this is not at all necessary, what is necessary I would say is in interest in History and a good grade in GCSE English Language.

The subject will be easier if you enjoy it.

If you like I can look at the AQA specification and give you some more specific advice? I myself study Edexcel A-level History.

KH94,
Edexcel A-level History student
Reply 14
Original post by TheZoo
I found History to be the easiest of my A-levels (for me it was a lot easier than English Lit) but some people also find it really difficult. A lot of people in my class didn't take it at GCSE so it shouldn't be too much of a problem - I did, and it was completely different to GCSE anyway. My advice would be to focus on the exam technique - you don't need to memorise every single fact and date to get a top grade, the way you write your essays is more important.
Thanks, i'll defiantly take it on board when i start History.
Reply 15
Original post by KH94
I find History very interesting. It is probably easier than A-level English Literature if you are good at remembering facts and writing essays. It is more revision, and you need to use your own knowledge and be able to use sources effectively.

I myself did not take GCSE History, and instead studied GCSE Geography. It is not a problem that you have not studied History at GCSE level, and if it concerns you at all my advice would be to buy some books or speak to a GCSE History teacher, it is very easy to condense the curriculum. However I must emphasise this is not at all necessary, what is necessary I would say is in interest in History and a good grade in GCSE English Language.

The subject will be easier if you enjoy it.

If you like I can look at the AQA specification and give you some more specific advice? I myself study Edexcel A-level History.

KH94,
Edexcel A-level History student
Thanks for the advice i wouldn't want to trouble you with that! bUt thanks anyway.
Reply 16
Original post by lkaratu
Thanks for the advice i wouldn't want to trouble you with that! bUt thanks anyway.

It would be no trouble at all. It is my pleasure to help. Let me know if I can help further.

Good luck with your A-levels.

Original post by KH94
If you are studying Edexcel, contact Mr Ben Williams, he is a History and English tutor. I can PM you his email address if you require.

I'm doing edexcel history a-level this september.
What can he give me?
Original post by lkaratu

Sometimes History at GCSE can be lucky or unlucky.
If you studied GCSE History, for instance Womens rights 1900-2000, and the sixth form has womens rights in its curriculum, then students who have studied it are lucky.
Although, most of the time it's not the case.
I've just finished AS History, and enjoyed it...kinda :P
It really depends on what topics you do; one of mine was focused on British Political History in the 18th century, which as you can imagine, was not the most thrilling of things to learn about...
But seriously, if you get goods units and you're willing to work hard for it, then yeah, you should really enjoy it

Quick Reply

Latest