The Student Room Group

GTA 5 is a work of art

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Entangled

Personally, I would have liked to see more made of Michael's story. Essentially, he is my preferred character because I feel that he has the most relatable brand of dysfunction between the three; I can identify to an extent without feeling as though I have lived through the story before

I completely agree, I thought Michael was very relatable. I really enjoyed GTA 5 and I actually preferred the multi-character conceit as it allowed you to take a break from certain characters... it actually felt as though they were more fleshed out in that you had a sense that they had a life outside of what you could see (i.e. when you flash back to them, and Trevor is on top of a mountain in a dress)

Coming up with the next individual protagonist is tricky though (unless you dip back to reprise a previous character). 'Black vs white' and 'immigrant vs native' are two fairly easy stories to get across but they've been done now

I'd like to see a woman protagonist
Original post by MostUncivilised
I'm a huge fan of the Wire, the Sopranos, Six Feet Under, X Files, Game of Thrones, Stanley Kubrick movies like A Clockwork Orange, The Shining. Francis Ford Coppola movies.

I enjoy Shakespeare, I read Dostoyevsky. And from all of this, from all of this artistic sensibility, I say

GTA 5 is a work of art! What an exceptional work. It's a master parody of the times in which we live, it's an incredible satire of social media, the film industry, video games and pop culture. I rate GTA 5 very highly

What do you think?

The satire is 10/10. Every corner there is a parody and it's beautifully done, whether it's a cocaine parody of 420 or a reference to Magnum P.I.

My favourite (or one of them) is Gruppe Sechs (Group 6 in German), a piss-take of G4 security, and obvious reference to group sex.
Original post by TheAnusFiles
The satire is 10/10. Every corner there is a parody and it's beautifully done, whether it's a cocaine parody of 420 or a reference to Magnum P.I.

My favourite (or one of them) is Gruppe Sechs, a piss-take of G4 security, and obvious reference to group sex.

Absolutely. I get so much joy just listening to the talk radio station.

And have you watched the Loneliest Robot in Great Britain movie in the GTA 5 cinema? There are so many beautiful little details like that. Some of the satire is a bit heavy-handed (but hits the mark, no doubt about it) but a lot of it is superbly written.

And it needs to be considered in the context of the medium; not only is the satire fantastic, but the graphics are exceptional and the gameplay, the driving, the cars, are really enjoyable. As are the minigames (like golf and tennis, triathlon, racing). It's like that you cannot detach how well a movie has been written from its cinematography.

You can't detach GTA 5's satire and brilliant writing from its excellent graphics and gameplay, they all fit together marvellously.
Thought it was overhyped. Also, I personally would of much preferred if it was longer and more serious rather than joking around.
Also, did you not appreciate the splendid graphics in terms of depicting cities, and water (the water graphics were exceptional), and so on? Of realistically depicting Southern California?

"Splendid" graphics is a bit of a push, ok, for such a weak platform they weren't bad, but even when considering it being open world they were still nothing to boast about really.
Original post by Stinkum
X

While I don't agree with your conclusions, I +1ed you for a well-written contribution.

I personally feel this was better written than GTA San Andreas; CJ lacked agency. He felt like a cipher for the player, often I didn't quite understand why he did what he did.

But to be fair, GTA SA was a brilliant game. I absolutely loved Zero as a character, and it portrayed the early 1990s very well. And I do take your point that GTA is not about the graphics, but you can't detach the work from its medium. It would be like saying a certain series of movies, the writing makes the cinematography irrelevant.

At the time of GTA SA, the graphics weren't state of the art but the great writing more than made up for it. I think GTA 5 returned to the funny, slightly cartoonish aspects of GTA San Andreas and the series generally, whereas GTA 4 became too serious and was poorly written,.
Original post by Jammy Duel
"Splendid" graphics is a bit of a push, ok, for such a weak platform they weren't bad, but even when considering it being open world they were still nothing to boast about really.

I'm not a huge gamer (I own an Xbox, I buy games like GTA, Red Dead Redemption, I don't really do multiplayer or Call of Duty, etc). But I have been around for a while, and personally I've never seen the ocean depicted so beautifully and realistically.

The buildings weren't always state of the art graphics, animals looked a bit dinky, but the cars were very good. Perhaps you can point to a game where the graphics are as good across such a wide range of scenarios (cars, planes, landscape, roads, ocean, etc).

And you can't detach any single element, one must look at it as a whole. And as a whole, the writing, the graphics, the gameplay, the depth, were excellent.
I really do agree with OP here. Some times I find the satire a little too obvious and unfunny, but the reality of the situation is that the game is not supposed to be mid or high brow - yet one gets the sense the creators aren't afraid to sneak in social commentary even at the risk of alienating their 13 year old fan base ^_^. In terms of aesthetics, it is supurb. My friends thought I was a bit odd for this, but for the first two evenings after I bought the game, I would simply drive slowly around Blaine county with radio Mirror Park on, those mountain sunsets, damn. Really quite tempted to purchase a copy for my Xbox One purely because of the improved graphics.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'd like to see a woman protagonist

That would be a really interesting direction to take - that said, presenting a female protagonist to a predominantly male audience would take a lot of bravery on Rockstar's part. You'd then need to work out how you're going to model it (cf. probably the most famous female lead of all time, Lara Croft, and the ensuing controversy). And then it would need to be written well - establishment of strong character would be critical, but writers shouldn't allow it to go so far as to become a parody of women in society.

It sounds very difficult but would make for a hell of a game if Rockstar could pull it off.
Original post by scotttb
Rdr> gta 5

I'm only about 15% of the way into Red Dead Redemption But to be honest, thus far a lot of it feels quite samey. It doesn't feel quite as fleshed out as GTA 5.

Original post by mikeyd85
Agree with both of these. It's a technical masterpiece on the 360 and PS3, but it is a boring game with dull characters.

You want a gaming piece of art with incredible writing, go play The Last of Us. By far the most compelling game I've ever played.

I've heard really good things about it, I'll check it out. Thanks for the heads up :smile:

Original post by Olie
I often wonder whether the finer details like the satirical elements of the game, or the stunning graphics (which still amaze me even now) or even the attention to detail in the city and the countryside have always been a bit lost on many gamers who still just see GTA as a game to 'kill people and blow **** up', which is a shame cause there is just so much more to the game.

Spot on. Many gamers who are more of the shooty-bang-bang disposition won't appreciate the lovingly crafted attention to detail. I lived in SoCal for 6 months in my early 20s, and I absolutely loved GTA 5 because it felt like going back there. There is a lot more to the game; if Rockstar wanted to they could cut out so much of the top notch writing and voice acting, and just make it a shooty-bang-bang game and they would probably still shift the same number of units.

It's because of their commitment to their craft that they have made such a beautifully fleshed-out game.
Original post by Entangled
That would be a really interesting direction to take - that said, presenting a female protagonist to a predominantly male audience would take a lot of bravery on Rockstar's part. You'd then need to work out how you're going to model it (cf. probably the most famous female lead of all time, Lara Croft, and the ensuing controversy). And then it would need to be written well - establishment of strong character would be critical, but writers shouldn't allow it to go so far as to become a parody of women in society.

It sounds very difficult but would make for a hell of a game if Rockstar could pull it off.

Absolutely :smile: I know it would be tough to pull off, but if anyone could, I think Rockstar could.

And I have a feeling it could go far beyond just being funny or a good game, it could be revolutionary in terms of gaming's relationship to women, both to women gamers, and its depiction of women to its primarily male audience. It could even usher in a whole new generation of female gamers, if they marketed it right and had an exceptional script and voice acting to back it up.

And I don't think they'd even need to hold back in terms of sending up many aspects of modern womanhood, as long as they have a good team of female writers alongside male writers working the script. And as long as the protagonist is genuinely interesting and a strong character, rather than just an opportunity to perv or take issue with certain aspects of female behaviour. Which is why female writers would be critical, but it has to be universally relatable, it has to say as much to male gamers as female.

I would so love to see Rockstar take a crack at it. Completely agree with everything you have said. One last thing, I'm thinking maybe the next city could be Chicago. It's such a classic city, Midwest is an interesting setting and it's probably the most iconic city outside NY and LA.
(edited 9 years ago)
I've heard really good things about it, I'll check it out. Thanks for the heads up :smile:

You're most welcome. It's the best game of the last generation by a long way in my book and is quite possibly the best game I've ever played. I don't say that lightly either having been a gamer for just over 2 decades now! :yep:
Original post by mikeyd85
You're most welcome. It's the best game of the last generation by a long way in my book and is quite possibly the best game I've ever played. I don't say that lightly either having been a gamer for just over 2 decades now! :yep:

I was just searching and I couldn't find any mention of it on Xbox :frown: Is it only on Playstation?
i agree, the old point i raise, is that it could have been longer other than that its perfect
I'm a huge fan of the Wire, the Sopranos, Six Feet Under, X Files, Game of Thrones, Stanley Kubrick movies like A Clockwork Orange, The Shining. Francis Ford Coppola movies.

I enjoy Shakespeare, I read Dostoyevsky. And from all of this, from all of this artistic sensibility, I say

GTA 5 is a work of art! What an exceptional work. It's a master parody of the times in which we live, it's an incredible satire of social media, the film industry, video games and pop culture. I rate GTA 5 very highly

What do you think?

It's a work of genius, summed up perfectly by one line of yours: "It's a master parody of the times in which we live."
I refute you thusly:
[video="youtube;CcHH13T4mpo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcHH13T4mpo[/video]
Original post by pane123
It's a work of genius, summed up perfectly by one line of yours: "It's a master parody of the times in which we live."

It has so much to say about so many issues, even on the most mundane issues like hand sanitisers (and what the satirical send-up interestingly says about our immune systems), or high concept comment on the banking system and financial crash of 2008, I think GTA 5 is exceptionally perceptive about the American dream, about consumerism, about social media and the new world we're living in as a result of information technology.

And of course, just as you cannot detach a movie's script from its cinematography, GTA 5 also has superb graphics and gameplay. It hits its target on all fronts. Is it perfect? Of course not, but no work of art is perfect. What it is, is a substantial contribution to the popular culture of our day, and I think for that it should receive plaudits and kudos
I'm not a huge gamer (I own an Xbox, I buy games like GTA, Red Dead Redemption, I don't really do multiplayer or Call of Duty, etc). But I have been around for a while, and personally I've never seen the ocean depicted so beautifully and realistically.

The buildings weren't always state of the art graphics, animals looked a bit dinky, but the cars were very good. Perhaps you can point to a game where the graphics are as good across such a wide range of scenarios (cars, planes, landscape, roads, ocean, etc).

Enter CryEngine (all of them really, obviously taking into account their times) and Frostbote engines for a start. Give it a couple of years and you can throw in a load of stuff running on UnrealEngine 4 too.

And you can't detach any single element, one must look at it as a whole. And as a whole, the writing, the graphics, the gameplay, the depth, were excellent.

A failing in any of them brings down the whole though, graphics may be decent, but aren't excellent, gamplay seems to be improved from IV, as does the writing, but that's not exactly difficult.
Original post by Jammy Duel
Enter CryEngine (all of them really, obviously taking into account their times) and Frostbote engines for a start. Give it a couple of years and you can throw in a load of stuff running on UnrealEngine 4 too.

We're not talking about a couple of years from now, we're talking about games that are out now. In a couple of years, we can then debate on the relative merits of titles that are out then. Otherwise it's simply a counterfactual debate with as much merit as "What would have happened if Hitler won the war?"

A failing in any of them brings down the whole though, graphics may be decent, but aren't excellent, gamplay seems to be improved from IV, as does the writing, but that's not exactly difficult

The graphics are considerably better than IV. And the writing is a lot better; IV consisted of a lot of shoot outs, and driving from point A to point B.

GTA 5 had many more funny and interesting missions (the one where you're chasing the yacht on the highway, and Franklin is swinging around off the sail?), much more in the style of San Andreas.

Anyways, maybe we will have to agree to disagree. I suspect, though, that in 20 or 30 years you will appreciate this game for the classic it is. In its day, the Godfather was considered a big budget Paramount film, not the profound work of art it is considered today.
I take your GTA V and raise you one Spec Ops: The Line. The fact that its chesthighwalloverlyviolentgearsofwarclone gameplay is generic and uninspired shows how highly I think of the story. Watching the protagonist's state of mind decay as he's thrown into a morally grey war-zone was refreshing as this idea was actually done well for once. (I'm looking at you, MW2. No matter how many civvies you mow down in 'No Russian', you were not edgy. Spec Ops does it better.)

I don't want to spoil the story at all, but damn. One of the best moments in gaming I've had. :pierre:

Quick Reply

Latest