The Student Room Group

Things to know for Veterinary Medicine interviews

I'm going to be applying to vet school in October (and hopefully will get some interviews)! I was just wondering what sorts of things they ask you at interview, or if there's things that I should definitely know - I'm doing about 5 weeks of work experience this summer - are there any particular things I should ask the vets/farmers etc.? Thanks :smile:
Original post by laurensmiley97
I'm going to be applying to vet school in October (and hopefully will get some interviews)! I was just wondering what sorts of things they ask you at interview, or if there's things that I should definitely know - I'm doing about 5 weeks of work experience this summer - are there any particular things I should ask the vets/farmers etc.? Thanks :smile:

Take a notebook with you to write down what you are seeing, learning, doing.

When you get interviewed you may be asked about your work experience. I would always ask WHY a certain procedure is being carrier out (e.g. why are we neutering dogs aside from the obvious of preventing pregnancy, what are we vaccinating these animals for and why? or why not?), especially for routine/common things. If there is an interesting case you see and feel it might be something to talk about at interview, be sure to read up on it - sometimes you will be able to stear your interview into the direction of talking about something you found very interesting. The interviewers are not expecting you to know everything, but expect you to have a general overview of the role of the vet, some of the common things they do, how farming industries operate etc. If you get a chance to talk about ethical or topical issues I would do this as well e.g. asking a farmer about bovine TB if he has cattle (but remember to be sensitive as some topics can be quite emotive).

I would also mention that, although I encourage asking lots of questions, you need to do this when it is appropriate. E.g. don't ask questions in front of clients, but perhaps chat between consults or in the car if you're with a large animal vet.
Original post by SilverstarDJ
Take a notebook with you to write down what you are seeing, learning, doing.

When you get interviewed you may be asked about your work experience. I would always ask WHY a certain procedure is being carrier out (e.g. why are we neutering dogs aside from the obvious of preventing pregnancy, what are we vaccinating these animals for and why? or why not?), especially for routine/common things. If there is an interesting case you see and feel it might be something to talk about at interview, be sure to read up on it - sometimes you will be able to stear your interview into the direction of talking about something you found very interesting. The interviewers are not expecting you to know everything, but expect you to have a general overview of the role of the vet, some of the common things they do, how farming industries operate etc. If you get a chance to talk about ethical or topical issues I would do this as well e.g. asking a farmer about bovine TB if he has cattle (but remember to be sensitive as some topics can be quite emotive).

I would also mention that, although I encourage asking lots of questions, you need to do this when it is appropriate. E.g. don't ask questions in front of clients, but perhaps chat between consults or in the car if you're with a large animal vet.

Thanks, that's really helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending