The Student Room Group

Medicine in USA

Hello,
does anybody is currently studying medicine in USA?

I'm looking for someone already in the medical school who went through application proccess being an international student.

Any information will help,
You probably already know, but you need to have a degree first before you can apply to do medicine :smile:
Reply 2
Along with suitable contacts and a huuuuge pile of money.
Reply 3
Original post by LadyEcliptic
You probably already know, but you need to have a degree first before you can apply to do medicine :smile:

Yes I do know that, I was thinking about Psychology as my undergrad.
Reply 4
Original post by 345rty
Along with suitable contacts and a huuuuge pile of money.

That's right, I'm wondering how hard is this degree to pursue?
Original post by Alexandra33
Yes I do know that, I was thinking about Psychology as my undergrad.

That's technically ok as long as you meet the course prerequisites (usually a combo of chemistry, biology, physics and maths from what I remember) however many other students will be doing more biology related subjects and they may have a leg up on you as they will know topics in more depth and may have also been able to do more clinical and medical research attachments. As you're an international student and so will probably be focusing on the calibre of colleges which give need based tuition to internationals, you may want to consider doing a double degree if you're that interested in psychology although it may take an extra year. As there's a very low acceptance rate for US medical schools normally, let alone as an international you should also consider that you will likely have to fall back on that degree and so whether a psychology degree will get you a job you want.
Reply 6
Original post by Alexandra33
That's right, I'm wondering how hard is this degree to pursue?

Well the chap I heard of who did it already had a UK medical degree and had a close family friend who was a Prof at a US medical school, ontop of piles of family money to cover the fees and living costs.

I would say forget it unless you are in a similar position. That doesn't mean you can't work in the states just that your choice of specialities and locations will be limited.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending