The Student Room Group

Is skin colour, gender & sexuality a valid way of assessing people

Is skin colour, gender & sexuality a valid way of making a first impression of people? For instance you could say he is a black man therefore more likely to be a fast runner, or a brown man therefore more likely to be a good sole proprietor or computer programmer, or he is a white man therefore might be good at engineering.

Or you might say he is male therefore reasonable at maths or she is female, therefore good at reading people's body language and feelings.

Or you could say he is gay and therefore likely to be aware of the latest fashion trends, or he is straight therefore more likely to have children.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Not really, no. Most stereotypes have some basis in the truth, but nowhere near enough to justify assessing people based on those properties.
(edited 9 years ago)
To a certain extent, a straight white male is likely to have different interests etc to a black lesbian.
Reply 4
Original post by manchesterunited15
To a certain extent, a straight white male is likely to have different interests etc to a black lesbian.

Funny tbh, as the only black lezzer I know is pretty much a white guy in disguise :p: Likes football, the army, etc etc. Just far more needy than a white male.
Reply 5
To some extent yes definitely...
Not everything's set in stone however.
I think that it's possible, but I don't know what you can learn.

I had a girlfriend who was ginger, and she was resistant to certain kinds of anaesthetic. She was told by the doctor it was because she was ginger; the gene had multiple impacts. Now of course that's not an assessment of her as a person, but it is a common link between two very different things. Perhaps the genes that make people black, gay, narrow-eyed or able to roll their r's have effects on personality.
no its not valid and it opens the door for stereotyping, prejudice and discrimination.

You can't just assume these things before you even speak to the person.

It's completely wrong.

I'm out.
Original post by SpikeyTeeth
Is skin colour, gender & sexuality a valid way of making a first impression of people? For instance you could say he is a black man therefore more likely to be a fast runner, or a brown man therefore more likely to be a good sole proprietor or computer programmer, or he is a white man therefore might be good at engineering.

Or you might say he is male therefore reasonable at maths or she is female, therefore good at reading people's body language and feelings.

Or you could say he is gay and therefore likely to be aware of the latest fashion trends, or he is straight therefore more likely to have children.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No. For a start I am gay and no idea of the fashion. :smile: Never have.:smile:
There has been an above average amount of bait today.

gr8 b8 m8

Original post by NightOwl1985
No. For a start I am gay and no idea of the fashion. :smile: Never have.:smile:

Exactly.

I mean, I think I'm fairly well-dressed (in a conservative sort of way), chinos, nice shirts, a fine watch, etc.

But the idea that I'm some sort of fashion guru, or that I want to go out with women to go shopping and crap like that, that's just not me. And in fact, I don't really personally know any gay guys who are like that.

Most of my gay friends are lawyers, engineers, architects, civil servants etc. None are hairdressers or in fashion etc. It's a revolting stereotype derived mainly from television

Posted from TSR Mobile

He is on TSR, therefore he is a troll.
Original post by MostUncivilised
Exactly.

I mean, I think I'm fairly well-dressed (in a conservative sort of way), chinos, nice shirts, a fine watch, etc.

But the idea that I'm some sort of fashion guru, or that I want to go out with women to go shopping and crap like that, that's just not me. And in fact, I don't really personally know any gay guys who are like that.

Most of my gay friends are lawyers, engineers, architects, civil servants etc. None are hairdressers or in fashion etc. It's a revolting stereotype derived mainly from television

Me either...
Reply 13
"Is skin colour, gender & sexuality a valid way of making a first impression of people? For instance you could say he is a black man therefore more likely to be a fast runner, or a brown man therefore more likely to be a good sole proprietor or computer programmer, or he is a white man therefore might be good at engineering.

Or you could say he is gay and therefore likely to be aware of the latest fashion trends, or he is straight therefore more likely to have children."

Urm, no?! That is such an old fashioned view! Maybe you need a reality check, I would have thought that in this day and age that we would be able to accept that people are of different race, religion, gender and sexuality yet we don't have to fit into any sort of personality or class system that is deemed fit by the minority.
(edited 9 years ago)
What? No. Based on this, you'd think Hitler was a nice well dressed man.
Too many people in each group, little difference in mean vs high variance within the group. Even if there were differences they would be hugely attenuated by statistical effects

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think stereotypes are a good way to make a first impression of people because the stereotypes can be very wrong. I've got Asperger's and I'm part-Chinese but I'm not the genius that a lot of people with Asperger's and Chinese/Japanese/Korean heritage are said to be. :lol: And I don't eat everything either nor do I have a "special talent". Autism doesn't mean that I drool and don't speak either. :tongue:

I'm pansexual but I don't go up to people in the streets and yell, "I LOVE YOU!" in their faces. One of my friends is gay but he's not feminine and doesn't keep up with the latest fashion trends. I'm a boy but I'm not loud and rough like how many boys are shown to be in films. I'm actually quite shy and very quiet, pretty nervous too. :lol:

It might annoy or even offend people when your first impression of them is based on stereotypes.
Original post by TaciturnPhantom
I don't think stereotypes are a good way to make a first impression of people because the stereotypes can be very wrong. I've got Asperger's and I'm part-Chinese but I'm not the genius that a lot of people with Asperger's and Chinese/Japanese/Korean heritage are said to be. :lol: And I don't eat everything either nor do I have a "special talent". Autism doesn't mean that I drool and don't speak either. :tongue:

I'm pansexual but I don't go up to people in the streets and yell, "I LOVE YOU!" in their faces. One of my friends is gay but he's not feminine and doesn't keep up with the latest fashion trends. I'm a boy but I'm not loud and rough like how many boys are shown to be in films. I'm actually quite shy and very quiet, pretty nervous too. :lol:

It might annoy or even offend people when your first impression of them is based on stereotypes.

Awesome post, couldn't agree more :smile: Duly +1ed
Original post by MostUncivilised
Awesome post, couldn't agree more :smile: Duly +1ed

Ha ha, thanks. :biggrin: I would like people who use stereotypes to build their first impression of others to realise that stereotypes can be very wrong and offensive. I've had a lot of people judging me using stereotypes in the past and sometimes today. Because I remember telling someone that I was autistic and that person telling me that I couldn't be autistic because "you talk". :dontknow: I felt offended afterwards. And also, being asked if I use chopsticks all the time when I tell them that I'm part-Chinese. But I do love taking out my chopsticks if I've got them on me (I used to eat noodles that I cooked at home for lunch at school), snapping them together and watching their eyes go all wide. It cracks me up. :lol:
Reply 19
Original post by SophiaLDN
What? No. Based on this, you'd think Hitler was a nice well dressed man.

He was

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending