The Student Room Group

Am I being stupid turning this opportunity down?

I've been offered a job teaching English for a year in Japan but I'm considering turning it down.

I have already spent a year teaching English in china and whilst the experience of living abroad has been amazing and I think I would love Japan I just don't think my heart is in spending another year teaching English. I am going to apply for teach first so that I will hopefully have a job for next year.

I have wanted to be a doctor for a really long time so in the meantime I'm going to try and get work as a healthcare assistant and do that for the experience. But everyone is telling me I'm being stupid and I'm going to waste a year of my life and probably won't get into medicine anyway. I know this is a possibility and I also know that staying in the UK and working as a HCA won't be as fun as going to Japan. I also don't actually have a job yet.

My parents think I should go to to Japan and now I don't know what to do I feel like it's now or never if I want to try and do something other than teaching. I'm 23 now and would be 24 by the time I got back. What should I do?
Reply 1
To be honest its up to you. Going to Japan will give you a break from `normal work` in the UK lol, it will be in a new country, where you can gain more experience and learn a new language. I`d suggest researching more into your options, so you can make a better idea:smile:
Reply 2
I would follow your true dream and work as a HCA.
Reply 3
Based on your age and the near impossible odds (imo) of going into medicine from being a healthcare assistant, perhaps you should just stick with teaching - it's also more fun after all.
Reply 4
Without sounding too cheesy ... do what you truly want to do and what you love, otherwise you will be stuck doing a job for a year that you don't really feel passionate about and the thing that you would regret more if you took the job in Japan is postponing being a Doctow which is what you actually want to be. Hope this helped good luck! :smile:
Reply 5
There is a significant possibility you won't get to medical school even with good grades etc. If you can put your life on hold and won't look back on it as a waste even if you don't get in then I'd say go for it.

Original post by Sigma44
Based on your age and the near impossible odds (imo) of going into medicine from being a healthcare assistant, perhaps you should just stick with teaching - it's also more fun after all.

Except it's touted as the gold standard for work experience for medicine applications...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending