The Student Room Group

OCR A-level maths

hey, the college I wanna go does OCR maths but apparently OCR is harder and weider than AQA and Edexcel according to my maths teacher- but I cant trust what she says.... Does anyone do this???

Also im unsure if I should pick mechanics or statistics- what do they involve?? and does everyone whos doing mechanics usually do physics aswell because im not.

ALso if I pick stats one year, can I change it and pick mechanics next year?

Thanks x
Reply 1
Can't really comment on difficulty, it's probably not a reason to not pick maths because you heard the exam board is difficult.

I did mechanics, and didn't do physics. It's things like working out how far a ball goes into the air when thrown with this force, and what sort of velocity is that travelling at when something hits it etc.

Over the course of the a-level you do two applied units: you can do mechanics 1, then do stats 1 - or decision maths 1 - or equally if you really liked mechanics then you could do mechanics 2 instead of stats 1. Depends a bit on how your school timetable it, sometimes.
Original post by SweetCherry1
hey, the college I wanna go does OCR maths but apparently OCR is harder and weider than AQA and Edexcel according to my maths teacher- but I cant trust what she says.... Does anyone do this???

Also im unsure if I should pick mechanics or statistics- what do they involve?? and does everyone whos doing mechanics usually do physics aswell because im not.

ALso if I pick stats one year, can I change it and pick mechanics next year?

Thanks x

I find them all somewhat similar. I found Edexcel papers to be slightly easier and AQA papers were pretty average. Just understand the mathematics and you'll be fine.
Original post by Nymthae
Can't really comment on difficulty, it's probably not a reason to not pick maths because you heard the exam board is difficult.

I did mechanics, and didn't do physics. It's things like working out how far a ball goes into the air when thrown with this force, and what sort of velocity is that travelling at when something hits it etc.

Over the course of the a-level you do two applied units: you can do mechanics 1, then do stats 1 - or decision maths 1 - or equally if you really liked mechanics then you could do mechanics 2 instead of stats 1. Depends a bit on how your school timetable it, sometimes.

ahhh ok :smile: Thank you x

btw did you feel behind doing mechanics with people who were also doing physics?
Original post by lllllllllll
I find them all somewhat similar. I found Edexcel papers to be slightly easier and AQA papers were pretty average. Just understand the mathematics and you'll be fine.

cool thanks :biggrin: x How did you do edexcel and AQA and ocr papers??
If you get the chance check next summers exam timetable before selecting maths modules. Many of them are double booked so with the wrong choice you do two exams one after the other.
cool thanks :biggrin: x How did you do edexcel and AQA and ocr papers??

I did OCR maths. It's good to do maths papers from other exam boards in your free time because I personally wanted to save most of the OCR ones at least two weeks before the exam. Don't try this for other subjects such as Biology because mark schemes and syllabus content tends to differ a lot.
Reply 7
ahhh ok :smile: Thank you x

btw did you feel behind doing mechanics with people who were also doing physics?

I'm really bad at physics so it felt difficult for a while, and yeah some people knew some bits already or were much quicker at picking it up. Once it clicks though it's probably one of the most straight forward modules, I ended up doing far better than I thought I would.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending