The Student Room Group

GTA 5 is a work of art

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MostUncivilised
I'm a huge fan of the Wire, the Sopranos, Six Feet Under, X Files, Game of Thrones, Stanley Kubrick movies like A Clockwork Orange, The Shining. Francis Ford Coppola movies.

I enjoy Shakespeare, I read Dostoyevsky. And from all of this, from all of this artistic sensibility, I say

GTA 5 is a work of art! What an exceptional work. It's a master parody of the times in which we live, it's an incredible satire of social media, the film industry, video games and pop culture. I rate GTA 5 very highly

What do you think?

I couldn't agree with you more! :biggrin:

So are you getting it on the PS4 as well?
The nods and the satire were good points of the game but the main characters were boring.

Franklin doesn't go through any sort of growth at all.

Micheal does actually go throw a tiny bit of growth and was probably the most intresting but not as good as previous protagonists.

Trevor was entertaining to watch in the trailer but got boring really fast.

The entire story seemed to be just waiting around for the characters to realise "hang on, we're murderers lets just kill the people we don't like" and then they do in a really short mission that involves hardly any car chases. (I guess franklins is meant to be a chase mission but it was far easier to get off the bike and simply kill all the people chasing you).#

The game is so ridiculously bloated with crap I'll never play for instance I have no desire to play the stockmarket, or do yoga.

Short version: San Andreas was better.
Original post by mikeyd85
Agree with both of these. It's a technical masterpiece on the 360 and PS3, but it is a boring game with dull characters.

You want a gaming piece of art with incredible writing, go play The Last of Us. By far the most compelling game I've ever played.

Can't wait to get it on the PS4! :biggrin:
That ending music is just:coma:
Original post by Solemn Rain
I couldn't agree with you more! :biggrin:

So are you getting it on the PS4 as well?

I'll consider it, maybe I'll buy a second-hand playstation. If The Last of Us is as good as has been suggested, then perhaps I will purchase a playstation to experience this game.

I adore video games as contributions to pop culture, they are as important and profound a contribution to our 21st century pop culture as music in the 1960s, as film was in the 1970s and serialised cable dramas in the early 2000s.

If someone appreciates pop culture in all its forms, in its discrete media, then one has to be willing to purchase consoles to access these artistic contributions. If that means buying a PlayStation, so be it
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Gwilym101
The nods and the satire were good points of the game but the main characters were boring.

Franklin doesn't go through any sort of growth at all.

I do agree on that point. Franklin did not have an appreciable arc, though I feel he did grow more independent as the game went on, culminating in his

Spoiler

Micheal does actually go throw a tiny bit of growth and was probably the most intresting but not as good as previous protagonists.

I loved CJ, but he didn't really have an arc. He felt like the same guy at the end as he was at the beginning, more of a cipher and a vessel for the player to inhabit, Whereas the GTA 5 characters felt more movie-like, it felt like you were watching their development in addition to playing them.

Trevor was entertaining to watch in the trailer but got boring really fast.

I hated Trevor at the start, I felt he was a complete psychopath and I hated him. But he grew on me as the game went on, though at the end I was happy with how things turned out

The game is so ridiculously bloated with crap I'll never play for instance I have no desire to play the stockmarket, or do yoga.

I see that as valuable content, not bloating. I love the golf game, and the stockmarket is absolutely vital if you want to make the big bucks (and thus buy the best properties

Short version: San Andreas was better.

Will have to agree to disagree. I really enjoyed San Andreas, but I prefer GTA 5 (though I do wish the properties you could buy included additional safehouses... I would have loved a nice house by the beach)

It's also a great game in that it expanded my music tastes, that's a brilliant achievement for a console game.

Yeah, I have to admit I have pretty much all the songs from Radio Mirror Park on my iPod :colondollar: .
I characterised myself as a literate person who appreciates fine cinema, fine literature and fine television. Admittedly, I didn't really watch too much of what you posted, that was unfair.

But I profoundly disagree with the people claiming the game was ordinary or rubbish. It was clearly a substantial work of artistic expression, that involved a very large number of artists co-operating with one another, whether voice actors, script writers, programmers, animators, sound engineers, and so on. To create this work from all those disparate parts, to create something with such impressive satirical bite along with good gameplay, is in my opinion an achievement worthy of respect.

No worries, we all make slips in our judgement from time to time :smile:

I agree with you disagreeing with people claiming that the game is absolutely rubbish. That's a ridiculous notion and would be said only to make a lazy attempt at a "shock-comment".

It's admirable that you take the time to consider the effort to make a game of such a grand scheme with so many fine details, usually people choose to glance over everything and anything they see without ever thinking about it. But like I've said before, it's also good for us to consider the negative aspects of what we like, since it leads to personal growth and enhancement of our evaluative abilities. Let's face it, GTA V is a great game and most gamers will sincerely love it, but I personally don't think it's a masterpiece - it needs to have a lot more to be considered on par with the Half-Life series, Deus Ex, Thief 2, Portal and so on.

But anyway, I agree with most, if not all, positive aspects you brought up about the game sans the masterpiece part :biggrin:
GTA 5 was hit and miss for me. The campaign was entertaining but the three character thing kinda ruined it. I'd have much preferred to just play the entire game as Michael or Franklin. Also the city seemed a bit confined, in comparison to GTA:s-smilie:A's rendition of Los Santos. I felt that that the satire was forced at times, and was too overt as to make it completely obvious. It felt as if I was playing a movie, which is not an entirely negative thing but not what I expect from GTA. The Radio stations were good, but nothing in comparison to GTA III, Vice City or San Andreas.

I hope that they bring the next instalment in the series back in time, to say 1970s Liberty City. Get rid of all the flashy but essentially pointless features and focus on the characters, story and trying to capture the feel and message of the time period.
Original post by HexBugMaster
But like I've said before, it's also good for us to consider the negative aspects of what we like, since it leads to personal growth and enhancement of our evaluative abilities.

That's absolutely fair enough, and I'll go back and watch the youtube video in full. Such criticism also leads game developers to up their "game" and hopefully improve on what they've already done, so I take your point entirely.

Let's face it, GTA V is a great game and most gamers will sincerely love it, but I personally don't think it's a masterpiece - it needs to have a lot more to be considered on par with the Half-Life series, Deus Ex, Thief 2, Portal and so on.

I absolutely loved Deus Ex, and I'm old enough to have been around when it came out (admittedly I was fairly young). I've always loved cyber-punk, I played Deus Ex shortly after I read Neuromancer (have you read that book?) and it was fantastic. I haven't played Thief 2. I do accept Portal was a very good game, it pushed the boundaries in many ways.

I think, in terms of masterpiece, we might be talking at cross purposes. I would agree with you it's not a masterpiece, GTA 5 was very good but it didn't quite make it to that level. But I think it does deserve kudos as an exceptional piece of art, I think a lot of people don't really understand just how impressive it is to integrate all of those disparate elements I mentioned such as scriptwriting, voice actors, animators, programmers, researchers, etc. That GTA 5 managed to pull all of these off, in the manner of a "blockbuster" (and let's face it, GTA 5 is to gaming what the blockbusters like Top Gun were to cinema in the 1980s) while still being quite subversive, is brilliant.

But anyway, I agree with most, if not all, positive aspects you brought up about the game sans the masterpiece part :biggrin:

To be fair, did I actually say masterpiece? If I did, I would temper that and say it's a demi-masterpiece.
That's absolutely fair enough, and I'll go back and watch the youtube video in full. Such criticism also leads game developers to up their "game" and hopefully improve on what they've already done, so I take your point entirely.

I absolutely loved Deus Ex, and I'm old enough to have been around when it came out (admittedly I was fairly young). I've always loved cyber-punk, I played Deus Ex shortly after I read Neuromancer (have you read that book?) and it was fantastic. I haven't played Thief 2. I do accept Portal was a very good game, it pushed the boundaries in many ways.

I think, in terms of masterpiece, we might be talking at cross purposes. I would agree with you it's not a masterpiece, GTA 5 was very good but it didn't quite make it to that level. But I think it does deserve kudos as an exceptional piece of art, I think a lot of people don't really understand just how impressive it is to integrate all of those disparate elements I mentioned such as scriptwriting, voice actors, animators, programmers, researchers, etc. That GTA 5 managed to pull all of these off, in the manner of a "blockbuster" (and let's face it, GTA 5 is to gaming what the blockbusters like Top Gun were to cinema in the 1980s) while still being quite subversive, is brilliant.

To be fair, did I actually say masterpiece? If I did, I would temper that and say it's a demi-masterpiece.

You're right - you didn't actually say it's a masterpiece. Sorry. :smile: I jumped to that conclusion due to me not being careful when reading what exactly you were implying :biggrin:

And *high-five!* on liking Deus Ex - I love that game :biggrin: I wish that people at some point would revert to liking games that don't have cutting edge graphics - you can't have the same depth to the game with them and pretty images and shiny surfaces is not what makes a game superb. Perhaps then we can have something like a second golden age of gaming. But luckily for us, Valve is doing a great job in regards of consistently making great games(I don't think they even made a bad one) so not all hope is lost!

And I haven't read "Neuromancer" but you have peaked my interest with it. Is it the one written by Gibson(there seems to be a lot of books with this title)? It's going on my "to-read" list.
Original post by HexBugMaster
You're right - you didn't actually say it's a masterpiece. Sorry. :smile: I jumped to that conclusion due to me not being careful when reading what exactly you were implying :biggrin:

No worries at all :smile: I also jumped to conclusions on things you were saying, no harm no foul.

And *high-five!* on liking Deus Ex - I love that game :biggrin: I wish that people at some point would revert to liking games that don't have cutting edge graphics - you can't have the same depth to the game with them and pretty images and shiny surfaces is not what makes a game superb. Perhaps then we can have something like a second golden age of gaming. But luckily for us, Valve is doing a great job in regards of consistently making great games(I don't think they even made a bad one) so not all hope is lost!

I could not agree more. Coincidentally, I downloaded Deus Ex a couple of months ago to replay it, but unfortunately it didn't work on my computer :frown:

And I haven't read "Neuromancer" but you have peaked my interest with it. Is it the one written by Gibson(there seems to be a lot of books with this title)? It's going on my "to-read" list.

Yes, William Gibson was the author. It's a brilliant book, it was actually the seminal book of the cyberpunk genre (man/machine modifications and interfaces, hegemonic corporations, a dystopian future with exotic sex workers and underground factions, organised crime etc). If you have a passing familiarity with earlier computer technology and what computers were capable of in the 1980s/90s, then you'll really appreciate this book
No worries at all :smile: I also jumped to conclusions on things you were saying, no harm no foul.

I could not agree more. Coincidentally, I downloaded Deus Ex a couple of months ago to replay it, but unfortunately it didn't work on my computer :frown:

Yes, William Gibson was the author. It's a brilliant book, it was actually the seminal book of the cyberpunk genre (man/machine modifications and interfaces, hegemonic corporations, a dystopian future with exotic sex workers and underground factions, organised crime etc). If you have a passing familiarity with earlier computer technology and what computers were capable of in the 1980s/90s, then you'll really appreciate this book

Try getting the GOG version. It stands for "Good Old Games" and the company tweaks old games so they'd be playable on modern machines. :smile:

And the book sounds like exactly my kind of stuff :biggrin:

Try the gog.com release of Deus Ex. That should work fine. Gog.com basically take old games, get them working on Windows 7/8 and sell them on. Coincidentally, I have just been playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution and that is an excellent game too.

Regarding everything you've said about GTA5, I do agree that putting everything together as Rockstar have done is nothing short of an outstanding achievement. Whilst I don't it was a particularly groundbreaking game, it's an excellent refinement of a formula that Rockstar have been doing for a long time now. I'm quite looking forward to seeing what they do with the next generation (though as a now PC gamer, I'll undoubtedly be months behind).

Can't wait to get it on the PS4! :biggrin:
That ending music is just:coma:

It's funny that I had no recollection of that music, yet the second it started playing on YouTube and there was a picture of Joel and Ellie... dem feels all come back! :yep: I must admit, that whilst I'm currently just playing on PC, I will probably get a PS4 for TLOU HD and whatever Naughty Dog come up with next. :yep:

It's funny that I had no recollection of that music, yet the second it started playing on YouTube and there was a picture of Joel and Ellie... dem feels all come back! :yep:

I obviously haven't played the game, but I've heard it's a very emotionally moving game, one of the most involving games most reviewers have played. And friends have said to me they've never felt so emotionally invested
I obviously haven't played the game, but I've heard it's a very emotionally moving game, one of the most involving games most reviewers have played. And friends have said to me they've never felt so emotionally invested

Yeah, I would completely agree with that. I've never played a game that sucked me in so much. I remember shouting at the TV, Leave my Ellie alone. At that point I realised this game had totally got me.
yeah the graphics on GTA 5 is amazing, but i think its still a crap game.
Try the gog.com release of Deus Ex. That should work fine. Gog.com basically take old games, get them working on Windows 7/8 and sell them on. Coincidentally, I have just been playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution and that is an excellent game too.

Regarding everything you've said about GTA5, I do agree that putting everything together as Rockstar have done is nothing short of an outstanding achievement. Whilst I don't it was a particularly groundbreaking game, it's an excellent refinement of a formula that Rockstar have been doing for a long time now. I'm quite looking forward to seeing what they do with the next generation (though as a now PC gamer, I'll undoubtedly be months behind).

It's funny that I had no recollection of that music, yet the second it started playing on YouTube and there was a picture of Joel and Ellie... dem feels all come back! :yep: I must admit, that whilst I'm currently just playing on PC, I will probably get a PS4 for TLOU HD and whatever Naughty Dog come up with next. :yep:

How could you !? Hahah
As for me, It just stuck with me ever since I finished the game, I just can't get IT out of my head ahhhh
Dem feels man! It's so overwhelming ahhhh:biggrin:

How could you !? Hahah
As for me, It just stuck with me ever since I finished the game, I just can't get IT out of my head ahhhh
Dem feels man! It's so overwhelming ahhhh:biggrin:

Because I was like :eek: after the end of the game. :lol:
Because I was like :eek: after the end of the game. :lol:

Haha fair enough man:tongue: I forgive you:h:

I bet it looks gorgeous on the PC:coma:
Haha fair enough man:tongue: I forgive you:h:

I bet it looks gorgeous on the PC:coma:

It isn't on PC. I bought a PS3 to play it which I have since sold. It is a PS exclusive.

Quick Reply

Latest