The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yep. Once a beater always a beater.
I know someone that got beaten up by her boyfriend and she forgave him and after a year later they got married and guess what, he did it again a couple of times, even when she was pregnant. So yeah. Not only her story but many others too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not absolutely, but it's a good rule. The real question is, if he could do it once, why not again? What was so terrible and extreme about that incident that you know it won't happen again? Life is full of ****ty, stressful times, there's no excuse for hitting women. Leave, leave, every time.
It depends on the situation. In most cases I'd say get the hell out of there straight away.

If I'd been with someone for ten years incident free and then they hit me, I'd have to wonder what on earth I did to warrant such a reaction, and make a judgement on whether it was a one-off or if they really did have a violent streak.
Original post by Mankytoes
Not absolutely, but it's a good rule. The real question is, if he could do it once, why not again? What was so terrible and extreme about that incident that you know it won't happen again? Life is full of ****ty, stressful times, there's no excuse for hitting women. Leave, leave, every time.

Not just women...
Reply 5

:congrats:
Reply 6
Original post by Viva Emptiness
It depends on the situation. In most cases I'd say get the hell out of there straight away.

If I'd been with someone for ten years incident free and then they hit me, I'd have to wonder what on earth I did to warrant such a reaction, and make a judgement on whether it was a one-off or if they really did have a violent streak.

Interesting..
Yeah my step dad used to hit my mum, it sucked. Don't stay with a guy who treats you like that, ever. It really ****ed up my mum and my childhood
Its not "will he" but more like "when". I think once is is one too many. Most domestic abuse stories ive heard are from being hit once then they carry on as soon as & in other cases some were after a year or 2, the violence continued.
Reply 9
If a bloke/lass hits you once, whether they'd hit you again is irrelevant, you should throw out the waste of space immediately.
Original post by That_Hijabi
I've never been in a relationship before due to personal reasons but after watching and listening to so many abuse stories, I feel like 80% of the time, a man WILL strike again after he's forgiven the first time. I can't predict the future but I think i'd leave my (future) partner the first moment he laid his hands on me.

Discuss

Not necessarily, it might have been a one-off moment and that he truly didn't mean to do it and honestly really regrets it and vows to work on self-control. But if anyone ever laid a hand on me, one-off or not, I'd be gone. It's not something I would take a chance with. Same with cheating. Sure, people can change and there are exceptions but physical abuse, emotional abuse and cheating (basically a form of emotional abuse) would **** with any relationship and there would be no room for second chances.
Original post by Mockery
If a bloke/lass hits you once, whether they'd hit you again is irrelevant, you should throw out the waste of space immediately.

What if you're married to them?
I think that's when you become a little stuck..
Can the thread be changed to partner? Because women hit men too.
And the answer is yes. If they hit you once, then they will probably carry on doing it. Even if you think its just the once, it more than likely won't be the only time. Not sure if this is about yourself or not OP, but if it is get yourself out of that situation asap.
(edited 9 years ago)
Past violence is a very good indicator of future violence.
Women also abuse men, 40% of domestic abuse is against males, but anyway.... If someone hits you once, there is a chance they will hit again and there is also a chance they will not hit again.
Original post by WelshBluebird
Can the thread be changed to partner? Because women hit men too.
And the answer is yes. If they hit you once, then they will probably carry on doing it. Even if you think its just the once, it more than likely won't be the only time.

I concur, 40% of domestic abuse is against men.

No excuse for hitting men too
(edited 9 years ago)
What if you're married to them?
I think that's when you become a little stuck..

We have this great thing called divorce.
Original post by DiddyDec
We have this great thing called divorce.

No way, captain obvious.

What I meant is that if you're a married couple, it becomes harder to just simply leave the person than if you were just dating for example. You're much more likely to be emotionally invested in the relationship and just so many other reasons.
No way, captain obvious.

What I meant is that if you're a married couple, it becomes harder to just simply leave the person than if you were just dating for example. You're much more likely to be emotionally invested in the relationship and just so many other reasons.

If you value your safety, you would make the decision to leave.

Latest

Trending

Trending