The Student Room Group

Part time job AND A-Levels?

I now have 10 weeks off and I've been thinking that it's a good time to be getting a job to earn some money and responsibility. I am considering working in a clothes store of some sort. However, I have heard that such stores work you very hard and try to squeeze as many hours out of you as possible. Although it wouldn't be a problem just now..I couldn't work much during my A-Levels. I'm quite an obsessive studier and my school work is everything to me so I don't want to sacrifice my study time at all. My school insists that A-level students work no more than 12 hours per week and they expect about 20 hours of study time out of school per week..is it really the best time to get a job?
Reply 1
Original post by Gabby2805
I now have 10 weeks off and I've been thinking that it's a good time to be getting a job to earn some money and responsibility. I am considering working in a clothes store of some sort. However, I have heard that such stores work you very hard and try to squeeze as many hours out of you as possible. Although it wouldn't be a problem just now..I couldn't work much during my A-Levels. I'm quite an obsessive studier and my school work is everything to me so I don't want to sacrifice my study time at all. My school insists that A-level students work no more than 12 hours per week and they expect about 20 hours of study time out of school per week..is it really the best time to get a job?

I had a part time job around 12 hours ish a week and i found the juggle perfectly fine. As did my entire year :s-smilie:.

It depends on your subjects really. E.g. I found that for Maths, i really didnt do that much out of lesson time aside from homework past papers, whereas for Economics i had to slightly put more effort in outside of lesson.

A levels really do not take a quite deal of your time if you get to grips with your subjects well enough at the beginning.
(edited 9 years ago)

I personally had a part time job and managed to keep it going right up until the final weeks of my exams (it was only a saturday job) and i then used my holidays to book off the saturdays so i could crack on with revision. It is totally manageable as long as your efficient and organised! good luck! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Jkizer
I had a part time job around 12 hours ish a week and i found the juggle perfectly fine. As did my entire year :s-smilie:.

It depends on your subjects really. E.g. I found that for Maths, i really didnt do that much out of lesson time aside from homework past papers, whereas for Economics i had to slightly put more effort in outside of lesson.

A levels really do not take a quite deal of your time if you get to grips with your subjects well enough at the beginning.

Thank you, I'll bare that in mind..but i'm doing chemistry & biology which sound like theres a lot of work out of school /:
Reply 4
Original post by seanbolton94
I personally had a part time job and managed to keep it going right up until the final weeks of my exams (it was only a saturday job) and i then used my holidays to book off the saturdays so i could crack on with revision. It is totally manageable as long as your efficient and organised! good luck! :smile:

Okay! Thank you!
Thank you, I'll bare that in mind..but i'm doing chemistry & biology which sound like theres a lot of work out of school /:

Not too much. I did those.. homework took up a bit of time especially for chemistry

You can probs work a couple of hours a week during the school year. Intense studying should start like 2 months before exams, so there is no time for employment in that period of time imo.
I need advice too please. I'm going into Year 12 doing maths, bio, chem and english lit which will require effort to get AAAA in. I have a Saturday job from 9-5.30 so will this affect my grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by letsbehonest
Not too much. I did those.. homework took up a bit of time especially for chemistry

You can probs work a couple of hours a week during the school year. Intense studying should start like 2 months before exams, so there is no time for employment in that period of time imo.

Okay, thank you!
Reply 8

I had a part time job in retail during my A2 year (maths, bio, chem). I worked around 8-16 hours/weekend depending on the amount of overtime I chose to do. I made sure I booked holiday time off in advance for the exam period. The store I worked at did not force me to work more hours etc

I managed it well: studied during the weekdays and after work on weekends. It can be done, but it depends on how good you are at time management.

You can always give it a go if you need the money/experience and hand in your notice if you think it's affecting your A-level work.
Reply 9
Original post by nam92
I had a part time job in retail during my A2 year (maths, bio, chem). I worked around 8-16 hours/weekend depending on the amount of overtime I chose to do. I made sure I booked holiday time off in advance for the exam period. The store I worked at did not force me to work more hours etc

I managed it well: studied during the weekdays and after work on weekends. It can be done, but it depends on how good you are at time management.

You can always give it a go if you need the money/experience and hand in your notice if you think it's affecting your A-level work.

Ok, thanks a lot, I'll weight it all up!
I have a part time job but I only do 5 hours a week, every Sunday. In the holidays I do extra hours to cover people's holiday and illness and stuff so I get some extra money, but to be honest I think if I worked any more than 5 hours a week it would detract from my A-levels. By all means, get a job, but don't sacrifice your grades for it.

Quick Reply

Latest