The Student Room Group

Radical feminism infiltrating our schools

Islamic extremism in schools is concerning and has rightly been receiving due attention in the media. However, a far more worrying form of extremism is creeping into our schools almost un-noticed.

The rise of radical feminism in our schools is extremely worrying and threatens this country's social fabric. Take a look at this extremist guff.

http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6427726

We now have people working in our schools who try to impose conspiracy theories about gender on very young children. This is extremely concerning, and has led me to want to send my own daughter (aged 3) to a private school to stop her feeling such a sense of entitlement. All people, regardless of gender, will only truly achieve if they work towards their goals. Feminist thought tells them that as a woman, they should be given special privileges. I don't want my daughter to be corrupted by such nonsense. It is very concerning that our taxes are being spent on this.

Having just completed a PGCE (I have no intention of now entering teaching having seen how schools function), I have been privy to this nonsense and it horrifies me. I have seen early years practitioners encouraging, borderline pressuring, boys into wearing dresses during role play activities. This is not ethically right and is a clear example of how radical feminist thought is rising among adult women who are now trying to pass it on to our children. One practitioner looked down her nose at a parent whose son did not want to wear a dress during a school play. This boy had no interest in wearing dresses, yet the school wanted to force this on him all in the name of radical feminism. Terrifying.

More and more women are being taken in by this radical nonsense. I have seen intelligent, free-thinking young women becoming extreme feminists and spouting feminist extremism on Facebook after being exposed to these ideas at university: make no mistake, the higher education system also promotes the feminist agenda.

I am and always will be a strong advocate of equality of opportunity and equal treatment of women. What I will not support is unproven, highly controversial radical feminist conjecture being imposed on young children in state schools against their and their parents' will.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Strong bait.

:reel:
Sir - one syllable.
Miss - one syllable.

Why would kids bother wasting their time by repeating a three-syllable word once when in the same amount of time they can fit three words of one-syllable? And what's more likely to grab the attention of the person they're trying to reach? Christ on a bike, if kids can work that out then why do "mature adults" struggle with the same concept?

She's right. Sir =/= miss on a status level. But the alternative for men is "mister". A two syllable word, which falls under the same criticism as "professor".

If we're going on about status-level equality (and this is clutching at straws), then the equation of "sir" would be "madam", would it not? Another two-syllable word which falls under the above criticism. What's more likely to get the attention of a teacher who is overseeing a class of 30 kids that are all talking; "madam" repeated twice, or "Miss, Miss, Miss, Miiiiiss!"
Even kids understand the practicality that's at work here :facepalm2:
Gr8 B8 M8
Reply 4
I'm very worried about state-sanctioned extremism like this. It's not right that parents should have to pay for private schooling to stop their children being exposed to these silly ideas.
Reply 5
I would urge all parents to ensure that their children are not educated in state schools. While there are many fantastic teachers in the state sector, there is a real possibility that your child is being taught be someone with radical feminist views. It's not worth the risk.
Children don't even think about relative gender status when they call teachers sir or miss, unless they're told to by an idiot with a victim complex.
Reply 7
Original post by Skip_Snip
Children don't even think about relative gender status when they call teachers sir or miss, unless they're told to by an idiot with a victim complex.

That's exactly what I'm concerned about. Many teachers want to present unproven feminist conspiracy theories as truth.
Original post by #Ridwan
That's exactly what I'm concerned about. Many teachers want to present unproven feminist conspiracy theories as truth.

I think you may be confused as to what a conspiracy theory is. A conspiracy theory is a belief that some covert but influential organisation is responsible for an unexplained event. The complaints made by the feminists in your first post about the discrepancy between the titles "sir" and "miss" does not fit that description. The feminists were only pointing out that the titles carry an innate inequality, not trying to convince people that that inequality was deliberately put into place as part of some clandestine organisation's shadowy agenda. They all realise that it is something put into place by society in general.

They do have a point - the titles "sir" and "miss" do seem to carry a distinct difference in status. I'm unconvinced as to how important this is, though.
The background noise of TSR

Edit: How is this off topic mods??
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
I think you may be confused as to what a conspiracy theory is. A conspiracy theory is a belief that some covert but influential organisation is responsible for an unexplained event. The complaints made by the feminists in your first post about the discrepancy between the titles "sir" and "miss" does not fit that description. The feminists were only pointing out that the titles carry an innate inequality, not trying to convince people that that inequality was deliberately put into place as part of some clandestine organisation's shadowy agenda. They all realise that it is something put into place by society in general.

They do have a point - the titles "sir" and "miss" do seem to carry a distinct difference in status. I'm unconvinced as to how important this is, though.

There is no difference in status between the two terms in the context of a school. For decades nearly all schools and pupils have used these terms. Nobody who uses the terms day-to-day believes that female teachers have an inferior status to male ones. It is simply a convention that has persisted over time, nothing more.

It is a conspiracy theory: feminists believe that the "patriarchy" have carefully and meticulously constructed our society to disadvantage women. They believe that something as simple as everyday language contributes to a mostly imaginary and exaggerated misogyny among men.

These women have a victim complex, and they are trying to imply that something as straightforward and innocent as children calling their teachers "sir" or "miss" is part of a conspiracy to demean and weaken female influence in society.

These people have radical political views and cannot be trusted to teach our children.
Reply 11
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
The background noise of TSR

There is a reason feminism is discussed on TSR a lot and that is because thousands of young people - male and female - are very worried that their peers have been taken in by this conspiracy theory. It simply isn't healthy to have an increasingly large segment of society believing that there is a conspiracy to oppress women that manifests itself in harmless everyday social interactions. Feminists want to control our use of language to suit their agenda. That's what the author of the article wants to do: curtail freedom of speech to satisfy her own belief in a conspiracy theory. Worst of all, she is not imposing this on free-thinking adults, but on impressionable young children, all while being funded by the state, in other words, you and I. Our taxes are being used to promote this radicalism.
Reply 12
Feminism is far, far more dangerous than Islamic extremism. The latter will never gain mainstream support, but the former is followed by millions of women who are becoming increasingly radical in their views.
Reply 13
Original post by #Ridwan
Feminism is far, far more dangerous than Islamic extremism. The latter will never gain mainstream support, but the former is followed by millions of women who are becoming increasingly radical in their views.

Feminism has already damaged society far more than islam ever could. Millions of fatherless children can testify to that.
if feminism is legitimized in society then society will suffer as a whole from the consequences. it is unfortunate they have made big strides in society and many things that they advocate is already normalized in society.
Original post by #Ridwan
More and more women are being taken in by this radical nonsense. I have seen intelligent, free-thinking young women becoming extreme feminists and spouting feminist extremism on Facebook after being exposed to these ideas at university: make no mistake, the higher education system also promotes the feminist agenda.

You think that's bad, I see guys posting feminist stuff on facebook :no:
Reply 16
Original post by manchesterunited15
You think that's bad, I see guys posting feminist stuff on facebook :no:

Pathetic white knights. I have had periods of my life without sex but I would never stoop that low.
men who support feminism are disgraces, stooping that low probably just to get a girl, they are shameless. also we need more non feminist women to speak out against feminists.
Original post by Kool_blaze
men who support feminism are disgraces, stooping that low probably just to get a girl, they are shameless. also we need more non feminist women to speak out against feminists.

Not that they believe in equality between the sexes or anything...
Original post by minimarshmallow
Not that they believe in equality between the sexes or anything...

feminists do not believe in equality, that's for sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending