The Student Room Group

No idea!

Hi,

Have no plans what to do after uni which is weird giving that I am 29!:mad:

Starting this year and will be 4 years in total.....

Wanted to become a Solicitor but rapidly went off the idea giving the poor pay /work-training ratio! Plus my own Solicitor stating he wish turning back time was available...

Teaching within university but something tells me the jobs are slim.. So not sure on that.

Wondering if I should just see where things go... Hope for the best I suppose!

I have been out of work for a while due to illness which is mental health. So have a large gap of being unemployed! So have no idea what this will do to me? A few things that make my situation complex and again pondering what the employer will be thinking? Might be illegal to discriminate however we all know it's very easy to get round it!
(edited 9 years ago)
What is it you'll be studying? Are you sure doing a degree is what you want?
Age has nothing to do it - its never too late to get started. In this case your career obviously needs careful thought and it's worth figuring out where your skills lie and how these can be transferred into a suitable job. Have you gone through that process?
Reply 3
Original post by thatonethere
What is it you'll be studying? Are you sure doing a degree is what you want?

Law and Psychology. Yeah sure I want a degree.

Original post by TheCareersGuy
Age has nothing to do it - its never too late to get started. In this case your career obviously needs careful thought and it's worth figuring out where your skills lie and how these can be transferred into a suitable job. Have you gone through that process?

No.....
Reply 4
29? ..my ,,i know a guy who is in his mid thirties and has more or less been a student all his life. I have not known him to do any real work i.e 9-5 40 hours a week stuff.

I do find the world of the mature student incredible. How do people manage?

By 29 i had become employed (at 16..but not as a chimney sweep !), learned skills which have kept me employed all my life,worked and earned pay, share options and pension entitlements for 13 years.
Reply 5
Original post by Limpopo
29? ..my ,,i know a guy who is in his mid thirties and has more or less been a student all his life. I have not known him to do any real work i.e 9-5 40 hours a week stuff.

I do find the world of the mature student incredible. How do people manage?

By 29 i had become employed (at 16..but not as a chimney sweep !), learned skills which have kept me employed all my life,worked and earned pay, share options and pension entitlements for 13 years.

Manage as in?
Reply 6
Original post by NightOwl1985
Manage as in?

I'm just thinking how does someone who doesnt have a full time job or no job as a mature student going into his late twenties/early thirties manage financially?

Isnt it a worry that you have reached half way through a "normal" working life span and yet have not had a full time "proper" job?

Not being critical,,just wondering..
Reply 7
Original post by Limpopo
I'm just thinking how does someone who doesnt have a full time job or no job as a mature student going into his late twenties/early thirties manage financially?

Isnt it a worry that you have reached half way through a "normal" working life span and yet have not had a full time "proper" job?

Not being critical,,just wondering..

I have been out of work due to something which resulted me living a rather dangerous as in a few close shaves with death. Just happened when it did and recently I have been getting on my feet. Called life I suppose.... Stuff can happen that you would never dream would...

So been relying on disability payments.

Also what makes you think I have never had a ''proper'' job? You don't need uni to produce a proper job......
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
I have been out of work due to something which resulted me living a rather dangerous as in a few close shaves with death. Just happened when it did and recently I have been getting on my feet. Called life I suppose.... Stuff can happen that you would never dream would...

So been relying on disability payments.

Also what makes you think I have never had a ''proper'' job? You don't need uni to produce a proper job......

No i agree with you. I've never been to Uni. I left school at 16 and have never been out of work since and made a good living.

By proper job i dont mean job type, i just mean regular full time employment.

I suppose im just referencing my view to the guy i know of who has always been a student and doesnt seem to have much visible means of support.
Reply 9
Original post by Limpopo
No i agree with you. I've never been to Uni. I left school at 16 and have never been out of work since and made a good living.

By proper job i dont mean job type, i just mean regular full time employment.

I suppose im just referencing my view to the guy i know of who has always been a student and doesnt seem to have much visible means of support.

He could have savings I have often read some old person dying and then millions sit in their bank account! Yet you would never even think of such wealth .

So why on here? Thinking about education?
He could have savings I have often read some old person dying and then millions sit in their bank account! Yet you would never even think of such wealth .

So why on here? Thinking about education?

No he doesnt have savings. He still lives at home and his parent(s) are retired and poor. He doesnt even pay his way in the home.

Why am i here? Well i originally joined or read the board just to get a handle of student life/student perspectives on live and learn more about the youth of today.

Of course im always up for learning new tricks and every day is an opportunity.

Bottom line though is that Uni wasnt an option for me as a kid because times were different,much more difficult and only the elite went to Uni. Also it isnt an option now as i have a good job/career/whatever that pays me enough plus a pension and im closer to retiring than starting out !
Original post by Limpopo
No he doesnt have savings. He still lives at home and his parent(s) are retired and poor. He doesnt even pay his way in the home.

Why am i here? Well i originally joined or read the board just to get a handle of student life/student perspectives on live and learn more about the youth of today.

Of course im always up for learning new tricks and every day is an opportunity.

Bottom line though is that Uni wasnt an option for me as a kid because times were different,much more difficult and only the elite went to Uni. Also it isnt an option now as i have a good job/career/whatever that pays me enough plus a pension and im closer to retiring than starting out !

cool :smile: Can't believe I said cool..... lol....

He must be getting student funding. But even that is restricted.........

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending