The Student Room Group

I want to go university, but I have no A-levels.

I know this might have been a million times, but I want go to university to study Graphic Design and develop my skills.... but I have no blasted A-levels =/ I have full Level 2 qualificaitons in Applied Science, Maths, English and IT along with a full Level 3 qualification in Architecture & Interior Design, but they're all not in the UCAS tarriff chart (except my IT and Science course). I do have a ton of private experience in Graphic Design and Adobe Creative Suite CS6 (Illustrator, Photoshop & Indesign). I have a good eye for textures, caligraphy and colour schemes along with actual drawing skills. I make a bit of money on the side by making flyers for bars, nightclubs and album cover artwork for musicians. I have also been involved in some community and sixth form graffiti projects where I had to design mural's with 2-5 other artists.

To note, I wasn't lucky enough to finish school properly at age 16 like most people cos of some brutal family problems that screwed everything over til now at age 21 where I properly have a good set of skills and qualifications at least for employment. Determination and hardwork is all I can give it to.

So yeah, do I sound like a good candidate for university despite no A-levels? Rejection is scary for me LoL.
Reply 1
Some universities (depending on courses) allow mature students entry to the degree without the standard, traditional requirements.
Again this is dependent on you being:
- A mature student
- Dependent on the course
- Dependent on the uni (birkbeck is the a good example of one, there prob is others).

Another popular option (which being a mature student have recently completed myself) would be to consider spending a year doing an access course. The access course is usually a year long and on successful completion would allow you direct entry into various degrees.

Good luck!
Options:
-You could do a couple of A levels
-Do some other courses that the are accepted by universities

The main thing is to call up and research different universities and explain your situation. They will guide you and point you in the right direction. Don't be scared of rejection. I think you may have to apply through UCAS unless you're going to art school, in which case there may be an independent application system. You'll still have a good chance if you're personal statement and reference displays your interest for the subject and university life.
Reply 3
Original post by 3vo
Some universities (depending on courses) allow mature students entry to the degree without the standard, traditional requirements.
Again this is dependent on you being:
- A mature student
- Dependent on the course
- Dependent on the uni (birkbeck is the a good example of one, there prob is others).

Another popular option (which being a mature student have recently completed myself) would be to consider spending a year doing an access course. The access course is usually a year long and on successful completion would allow you direct entry into various degrees.

Good luck!

Sorry to hijack this thread

I'm quite in a similar position like OP but its just i was stupid in my Education

I'm planning to do a btec but i cba to finish two years meaning that i would only get a Subsidiary diploma. Do you think with a subsidiary diploma i can get onto a HND/Foundation degree?
Reply 4
Hi, I'm not sure if this will help but in some colleges they allow students above the age of 19. However this means you may have to pay for the course (I believe its around £300-£400 depending on the type of course you take). You may be eligible for Bursary's or funding (not really sure how this work but it's worth looking into)

At the colleges you could take a level 2/3 btec course in art/design/graphics etc...
OR if you're looking to go straight into a uni try a foundation degree as they allow student of all ages and again you may have to pay and also might get funding depending on your circumstances. For this you may need to prepare a portfolio and have an interview.

Hope this helps... I'm not an expert in this but have some knowledge due to older people being on my course for my foundation degree.

Quick Reply

Latest