The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

That doesn't surprise me that much. I've heard of bars sending staff to the next bar along to get more cans of energy drink when they had a jagerbomb offer on every week that they had the offer.
Not that surprising tbh, we get folks from cafe;s stocking up on milk, bread, jam etc. Cheaper than wholesale for them.
Reply 3
Not surprising to be honest I work at a 5* hotel and most of our food is from the toilet
Reply 4
Doesn't surprise me to be honest I work at a toilet and most of our food is nicked by a 5* hotel.
This is why I always order from Pizza Hut :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by James222
Not surprising to be honest I work at a 5* hotel and most of our food is from the toilet

Oh I know, Travelodge isn't it?
Reply 7
Near the last place I lived in the local Chinese takeaway was right next to a Tesco Express. They made absolutely no secret of the fact that they bought ingredients from next door when their supplies ran low, can't say it bothered me or any of the other customers. At the end of the day a potato is a potato, there's generally not much difference in quality when you're dealing with the basics.
Wait, is there any evidence that he wasn't just shopping on his way home while still in uniform? :confused:
Original post by Philbert
Wait, is there any evidence that he wasn't just shopping on his way home while still in uniform? :confused:

Exactly what I was going to say.
My friend sometimes pops into ASDA for 20p paracetamol in her Rowland's Pharmacy uniform, doesn't mean they're marking up ASDA stuff (obviously you'd see the different brandname a lot of the time, but the point stands).

Evidence is for losers. Pitchforks and torches!
Reply 11

quotes

The article points out that they were selling the wedges for almost a 700% mark-up. Do you think that this exploits customers at all?
Reply 12
When I worked in a.. Big chain pizza place.. We used to trade pizzas for KFC buckets once a week!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by thunder_chunky
Evidence is for losers. Pitchforks and torches!

:fuhrer:

That's how all the best decisions are made!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Armadillo

quotes

The article points out that they were selling the wedges for almost a 700% mark-up. Do you think that this exploits customers at all?

I'm willing to bet the wedges they get from their normal suppliers cost more than the ones bought from Aldi. You're paying for the time it takes someone to cook and deliver the food, not the ingredients.
I go to chip shops that sell other peoples' chips all the time, I even believe some are from the frozen "goods" section :smile:
Not that I eat Dominoes :smile:
Reply 17
To be honest can you imagine the quality of dominoes own-brand wedges to be any better than aldi's? I certainly can't. I mean they're probably better quality. I don't think anyone has been let down by this and anyone who is upset by it is fooling themselves concerning the quality of their dominoes food.

For those who didn't read the article:

Staff initially claimed the wedges were for their own use, according to the paper, but later admitted they had run out of their own brand of wedges, blaming the shortage on “big sporting events being in full swing”.

Only in the sense that any profit is exploitation. As Dez says, a potato is pretty much a potato. I shouldn't think they're paying much more to their regular suppliers. Who cares if a Chinese takeaway buys noodles from Lidl, or an Indian buys rice from Asda? Think about the markup on the latter - a portion of rice will cost pennies to make, and sells for £2 or so.

Original post by Dez
At the end of the day a potato is a potato, there's generally not much difference in quality when you're dealing with the basics.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 19

quotes

Not at all. If people are willing to pay that amount for the wedges then so be it. It's not like dominoes monopolises the sale of food. If people aren't satisfied with the price they ought to go elsewhere for food.

Latest

Trending

Trending