The Student Room Group

Will people take me seriously? "Chav?"

Okay, I'm going to college soon and I'm worried that people aren't going to take me seriously. I love wearing barbie pink lips, handbags, cornrows, big earrings etc. I'm doing history, law etc and I just think people might judge and stereotype me..I shouldn't care but urgh.:s-smilie:

I'm worried that my teachers are going to get a bad first impression of me, even though I'm a kind and hard working person. Perhaps thinking "what is she doing here?". :confused: I'm not going to change myself, I just want to brace myself. I don't wear tube tops, mini skirts, heels or anything like that. (nothing wrong with that though).

Scroll to see replies

cornrows... looked that up. It suggests you're African, forgive me if I get that wrong. But even on non-Africans it would be alright

big earrings... yeah, I think there could be a problem with that.

pink lipstick and handbags, most girls have that so don't worry about that

To conclude, you're no "Chav" but the big earrings could turn a few heads
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by shawn_o1
cornrows... looked that up. It suggests you're African, forgive me if I get that wrong. But even on non-Africans it would be alright

big earrings... yeah, I think there could be a problem with that.

pink lipstick and handbags, most girls have that so don't worry about that

To conclude, you're no "Chav" but the big earrings could turn a few heads

Thank you, I'm not African but I think they do look nice. I probably wouldn't wear the earrings to college because I would hate for them to get stuck in a busy hall way and get ripped out of my ears.:s-smilie:
hey it's your life... live it as you please.
Reply 4
Oh yeah, and I make myself quite tanned. I am anyway, but I often wear bronzer, fake tan etc. But it's not muddy or anything. I think that's what makes the pink lipstick look so BAM because my of my dark skin tone.
What the bleep is wrong with jewellery.
Reply 6
Original post by the bear
hey it's your life... live it as you please.

Thank you:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Maharaniii
What the bleep is wrong with jewellery.

Apparently, jewellery like big hoop earrings are the epitome of "chav".
Original post by Anonymous
Oh yeah, and I make myself quite tanned. I am anyway, but I often wear bronzer, fake tan etc. But it's not muddy or anything. I think that's what makes the pink lipstick look so BAM because my of my dark skin tone.

...I see...
well I dk how to apply this to the question, sorry.
Reply 9
It's your personal style. If you like it then you better wear it with pride, girlfriend!

Your style is completely opposite to mine but who's to say it's 'chavy', 'chaviness' is determined by the way you act, not necessarily what you choose to wear. I'm not a fan of earrings or jewellery if I'm honest but if you like something then wear it, sod what other people think.

Got that but I mean..are you going to a school full of garden gnomes? Who cares, wear what you want just do the work and don't fist pump in the middle of a lecture. :smile:
Most people complement white girls when they have cornrowed hair since it's hard to do.
I think you should just try to make yourself look less intimidating.
Don't ever wear trackies to college unless you want people to think you're a tough chav. Try to wear a normal sized handbag and don't let it hang in the middle of your arm. And don't wear high tops or any kind of shoes with laces. Do side cornrows only, and then leave the rest of your hair out.
All you need to do is tone things down by following this advice and people won't think you're a chav.

hmmm it's mainly anything featuring clownz.... so if your hoops had clownz attached that would put the matter beyond dispute.
Original post by saarah_
It's your personal style. If you like it then you better wear it with pride, girlfriend!

Your style is completely opposite to mine but who's to say it's 'chavy', 'chaviness' is determined by the way you act, not necessarily what you choose to wear. I'm not a fan of earrings or jewellery if I'm honest but if you like something then wear it, sod what other people think.

Thank you! Yeah, I'm definitely not a "chav" in terms of personality. :smile:
Original post by Maharaniii
Got that but I mean..are you going to a school full of garden gnomes? Who cares, wear what you want just do the work and don't fist pump in the middle of a lecture. :smile:

Thank you, I am just going to wear what I want:biggrin:
Original post by Petulia
Most people complement white girls when they have cornrowed hair since it's hard to do.
Don't ever wear trackies to college unless you want people to think you're a tough chav. Try to wear a normal sized handbag and don't let it hang in the middle of your arm. And don't wear high tops or any kind of shoes with laces. Do side cornrows only, and then leave the rest of your hair out.
All you need to do is tone things down by following this advice and people won't think you're a chav.

Thank you:smile: I don't think I look intimidating at all because I'm short and look quite young:colondollar: Why no high tops? Aren't Converse high tops?
Original post by Petulia

Serious? Who cares if they do. :rolleyes:
Thank you:smile: I don't think I look intimidating at all because I'm short and look quite young:colondollar: Why no high tops? Aren't Converse high tops?

Please don't listen. Imagine you could be first chav to graduate Uni or something :smile: lol
Original post by the bear
hmmm it's mainly anything featuring clownz.... so if your hoops had clownz attached that would put the matter beyond dispute.

Clowns? As in actual clowns? Not really my thing.:redface:

I always see chavs ruining a nice dress or skirt by wearing high tops :frown:
Anyway the main thing is that you're polite. When I first started college, I sat next to this girl who looked like a chav in my English class and I was actually intimidated, but then she started talking to me and I realised that she was actually really shy and polite and now I feel bad for judging her straight away.

Quick Reply

Latest