The Student Room Group

Thoughts on this watch?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Maharaniii
"LOL" I'm right here you know. And I know leather wrinkles and dries okay. But gold band is higher quality :smile:

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

"higher quality"...... No.
And many do find it attractive :biggrin:

Yes, people who think flashy means money.
Original post by EatAndRevise
LOL, I don't think she knows that that "wrinkly leather" is very high-end, high-quality leather.

"LOL" I'm right here you know. And I know leather wrinkles and dries okay. But gold band is higher quality :smile:

Oh dear.
Original post by the-black-lotus
Back to OP, get the watch if you really like it but it is obviously more than you need to pay for a decent watch that will do the job (obviously not on the same level as the watches being argued about in the posts above though...)

But yes, OP should go to some watch stores and just ask what they recommend.
Original post by benzos
DONT make the mistake of buying a "fashion" watch like I did. I wasted a lot of money on them and really regret it... Go to a forum like watchuseek and get a watch that's actually decent - proper movement, proper make, history/heritage. Avoid all brands like Tommy H, Hugo Boss, Armani, Fossil etc. They're all a big scam, crappy movement and cheap worthless garbage that is worth nothing after purchase.

100% true.

A watch is an important male fashion accessory but more than that, it is an addiction (very expensive :biggrin: ). Spend some time on watchuseek. Buy a second hand or bnwt or just like new Swiss watch because after some time if you want to sell it then you won't suffer a huge loss. Tag Heuer F1 is a good start :wink:
Original post by 3309will
Oh dear.

Brb, about to go tell a Patek Philippe showroom that their leather is wrinkly.

"Just...uh...wanted to tell you that the strap over *here* is old and wrinkly. You need to put a gold one on it.

Oh and also cover the mother ****er in diamonds. All the good ****."

Stop looking for friends. How did this become about high quality. It began with tastes. You're the one who actually attacked me saying hideous this and hideous that when everyone knows gold is high quality. Now you're about high quality? Lol whatever. Now I should buy this Philippe thing that is ugly but it's high quality? Now who's showing off lol The gold are you saying is lower quality? Great, styling within budget. :smile:
Yes, people who think flashy means money.

How dare you think I like gold watch just because it makes me pretentious? I like gold watch because I like the effect the colour has on my eyes. My eyes chose it to be nice. You go with ugly simple watch because it is leather and a brand name? Yet you judge me for wanting to show off? Please go back to your basement and I will continue with loving my gold :smile:
"Just...uh...wanted to tell you that the strap over *here* is old and wrinkly. You need to put a gold one on it.

I'm sorry, am I supposed to be paying attention to you as well? :smile:
How dare you think I like gold watch just because it makes me pretentious? I like gold watch because I like the effect the colour has on my eyes. My eyes chose it to be nice. You go with ugly simple watch because it is leather and a brand name? Yet you judge me for wanting to show off? Please go back to your basement and I will continue with loving my gold :smile:

"I like gold watch because I like the effect the colour has on my eyes. My eyes chose it to be nice." I have never read as much nonsense as this, in my entire life.

"You go with ugly simple watch because it is leather and a brand name?" Simple watch? Patek's are not simple, no no no... In addition, you cannot call me out for going for a 'brand name' when you seem to be attracted to Rolex watches.

"Eh, whilst you are at it you might as well just engrave 'rolex' onto it. Then just cover me in diamonds."

haha, bravo sir, bravo.
(edited 9 years ago)
Many people who are against expensive Swiss watches, have no clue about watches. I agree that the primary goal of watch is to tell accurate time but these days mostly people prefer mobile phones to check time. A watch is not just a fashion accessory. It is an addiction & taste. And you don't need to dress formally to wear a Swiss watch. For example, Hublot F1 comes with a rubber strap and it suits well with jeans :smile:
"I like gold watch because I like the effect the colour has on my eyes. My eyes chose it to be nice." I have never read as much nonsense as this, in my entire life.

"You go with ugly simple watch because it is leather and a brand name?" Simple watch? Patek's are not simple, no no no... In addition, you cannot call me out for going for a 'brand name' when you seem to be attracted to Rolex watches.

MY English is not perfect but the message makes sense. I am saying I am attracted to gold, the colour, and silver is boring to me. Also, one was rolex the other was bezel so it actually is not a brand I am attracted to it is a style. There are cheap watches that are are all gold, it's just the gold band I like. And Patek's are simple because they look simple. Stop getting riled up because some guy is making jokes and focus on what I am saying: grey, small and a plain leather strap are simple. I have never seen someone so resentful of luxury or a colour in my life lmao. Have your fun here without me now. Disagree with you. :smile:
Original post by benzos
DONT make the mistake of buying a "fashion" watch like I did. I wasted a lot of money on them and really regret it... Go to a forum like watchuseek and get a watch that's actually decent - proper movement, proper make, history/heritage. Avoid all brands like Tommy H, Hugo Boss, Armani, Fossil etc. They're all a big scam, crappy movement and cheap worthless garbage that is worth nothing after purchase.

Now hear this,, this chap speaks sense. I have a small selection of watches. I have an el cheapo casio plastic watch for work as its durable and i dont risk electrocution with as metal banded watch.

My favourite watch is a citizen Ecodrive like this one
http://www.thewatchhut.co.uk/Citizen-Gents-Titanium-Watch-CA4016+51L.html

So called designer watches are mostly cheap crap with a name stuck on
MY English is not perfect but the message makes sense. I am saying I am attracted to gold, the colour, and silver is boring to me. Also, one was rolex the other was bezel so it actually is not a brand I am attracted to it is a style. There are cheap watches that are are all gold, it's just the gold band I like. And Patek's are simple because they look simple. Stop getting riled up because some guy is making jokes and focus on what I am saying: grey, small and a plain leather strap are simple. I have never seen someone so resentful of luxury or a colour in my life lmao. Have your fun here without me now. Disagree with you. :smile:

Actually, both watches were of the "Rolex" brand. Actually, not all Patek's look like the one which you saw, thus, you might find some of them not boring. Au reviour
I'm sorry, am I supposed to be paying attention to you as well? :smile:

You are talking about 'luxury' when you seem to have no idea about watches, really. Just because it is gold does not mean it is the best watch ever to have been made.

Pateks are in a different league to Rolexes, not that I'd have to point that out if you had any idea what I was talking about.

:yep::yep::yep::yep::yep:

Patek Philippe is not a simple watch heheh it has a very complicated movement. It may look dull to some people because of its simple look as many PP models are non chronograph. PP is still among top brands.

Edited note: my AP

Audemars Piguet - Jalan Bukit Bintang Limited Edi…: http://youtu.be/WiLPb57p54g

is more expensive than my two tone gold-diamond Rolex

Rolex Twotone Submariner 116613: http://youtu.be/wADfiK73Icw

:tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
You are talking about 'luxury' when you seem to have no idea about watches, really. Just because it is gold does not mean it is the best watch ever to have been made.

Pateks are in a different league to Rolexes, not that I'd have to point that out if you had any idea what I was talking about.

:yep::yep::yep::yep::yep:

You can agree with him all day, I am not discouraged. This was never about being made well, this is about what I like. This all started when I said I like a gold watch and your ol chum here said it was hideous. Conversation never started because he said it's not well made? It started because he said it's ugly. This was never about quality :rolleyes: And I know nothing about watches and couldn't care less, I just mention a random watch I think is nice. I never said it's the best made, highest quality, better than Phillippe, I said gold is sexy and grey is not. :smile:
Now keep making jokes with your new friends I still like my gold okay?
Original post by universal_set
Patek Philippe is not a simple watch heheh it has a very complicated movement. It may look dull to some people because of its simple look as many PP models are non chronograph. PP is still among top brands.

Edited note: my AP

Audemars Piguet - Jalan Bukit Bintang Limited Edi…: http://youtu.be/WiLPb57p54g

is more expensive than my two tone gold-diamond Rolex

Rolex Twotone Submariner 116613: http://youtu.be/wADfiK73Icw

:tongue:

I don't need a history on watches

I am not talking about quality or how it is made

I am talking about what I find nice to look at

stop creating diversions ":tongue:"

If I like gold watch and not boring grey watch

soo

what.