The Student Room Group

Jihadists Ahoy !

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Old_Simon
Comparing the British Army who are sworn and committed to protecting the very freedoms which you enjoy with Jihadi terrorists is absolutely disgusting. You really are a wretched person. I would deport you too.

Bunch of Hooray Henrys and people that think running off to kill 'brown people' is 'banter' in my experience. And yes, I have had to spend time with squaddies on numerous occasions.
Original post by Limpopo
We are in agreement Sophia..American foreign policy has often bewildered me. The US is such a vast continent full of contrasts, space and many good things. The people are generally very conservative and traditional and yet every now and then, their leaders up on Capitol Hill decide that they wish certain parts of the world to share their traditional values and version of democracy with other peoples and nationals whether they want it or not.

And so they get involved in crazy situations like a reasonable chap in the street intervening between a drunken man and his wife street fighting on a saturday night and end up coming out of it worse and being blamed!

I cannot help but think it is either gross stupidity or naivety of the ways, lifestyles, cultures and religions of johnny foreigner which are so alien to US leaders and peoples that they cannot comprehend them.

Even worse, where the US goes, its lapdog must follow.

I say let middle eastern peoples, nations and leaders fix their own problems. If that means bloodshed then so be it. Eventually the dust will settle and some kind of leadership/ equilibrium will be restored. Contain it in their own territory,thats the important thing, dont let it spill over into our way of life. Support refugees if they flee as long as they dont flee here.

People need to know that for actions there are consequences.

Apparently despite American culture's professed love of the concept of letting individuals learn their own way through life, when it comes to foreign policy they seem to think everyone needs babying, which is a failure because America can't 'fix' anyone at the end of a cruise missile except their life/death status.

Plus you (fortunately) seem to not be aware that a lot of it is pure American self-interest, to keep it's military industry ticking along, to try and keep country A's government sweet and pliable, or keep country B's influence out of the area.

I think while the middle-east (especially the gulf) provides the US huge amounts of oil, the US will be involved, but it could stand to be a tad less interventionist, since that has proven to crate as many if not more problems than it solves.
There isn't much point in debating this issue anymore; those who cry "Islamophobia" have allowed this country to be pissed on and it's too late to do anything about it.

God only knows how many British-born terrorists live in the UK right now, never mind the 400-500 fighting for Isis. It's only a matter of time before attacks from within start slipping through the net, at which point we are done for.
Reply 23
#22 Clearly there are influences in American foreign policy which are to do with self interest and protecting the interests of American Government/Industry/peoples. It would be naive to think that all they wanted to do was spread the love..

A part of me does think that if someone as a free citizen of planet earth, chooses to support a particular cause and take up arms in its defence then what has it to do with the Government of the country of which that person has citizenship?

Are we only to sanction the killing of people whom the Government says its ok to fight/oppress/kill? Surely killing is an individual choice and not one bestowed or influenced by Government? Citizens of planet Earth are not chattels of the state.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by redferry
Bunch of Hooray Henrys and people that think running off to kill 'brown people' is 'banter' in my experience. And yes, I have had to spend time with squaddies on numerous occasions.

The majority of soldiers are working class and nothing like that. Just because you met a few annoying "rah" army boys at uni doesn't mean our entire armed forces are scum. Grow up.
Original post by #Ridwan
The majority of soldiers are working class and nothing like that. Just because you met a few annoying "rah" army boys at uni doesn't mean our entire armed forces are scum. Grow up.

They were the ones that like shooting 'brown people'. Saying they are normal working class people is an insult to the working class, they are in the main hyper masculine knobs with giganto egos, and dont even get me started on their behaviour towards women.
They were the ones that like shooting 'brown people'. Saying they are normal working class people is an insult to the working class, they are in the main hyper masculine knobs with giganto egos, and dont even get me started on their behaviour towards women.

It is absolute bonafide fact that the majority of soldiers are working class.

I repeat: a few dumb racist rahs you met at uni are certainly not representative of the armed forces in general.
Original post by Limpopo
#22 Clearly there are influences in American foreign policy which are to do with self interest and protecting the interests of American Government/Industry/peoples. It would be naive to think that all they wanted to do was spread the love..

A part of me does think that if someone as a free citizen of planet earth, chooses to support a particular cause and take up arms in its defence then what has it to do with the Government of the country of which that person has citizenship?

Are we only to sanction the killing of people whom the Government says its ok to fight/oppress/kill? Surely killing is an individual choice and not one bestowed or influenced by Government? Citizens of planet Earth are not chattels of the state.

Your argument falls apart when you acknowledge that these people are fighting against freedom, not for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by #Ridwan
It is absolute bonafide fact that the majority of soldiers are working class.

I repeat: a few dumb racist rahs you met at uni are certainly not representative of the armed forces in general.

Yes but the majority odpf working class people are not in the army was my point. So that is irrelevant.
Yes but the majority odpf working class people are not in the army was my point. So that is irrelevant.

Not everyone in the army is a scumbag.

And it's certainly not the case that most posh people join the army either.
Original post by #Ridwan
Not everyone in the army is a scumbag.

And it's certainly not the case that most posh people join the army either.

No, just the ones I've met clearly.

I never said it was in any way shape or form.
Original post by SophiaLDN
People can find this information for themselves so easily but sadly choose not to. This will go in one ear and out the other..

Indeed, selective hearing.. whats worse is, they'll probably go back to reading the Daily Mail and using that as their fact checker
Original post by Limpopo
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-28116575

There has been a lot of media coverage about men from Britain swanning off to Syria to get involved in a war which really has nothing to do with them.

(This also happened in the Iraq and Afghan conflicts, but they were called the British army and so were sanctioned by the Crown to go and kill people..but i digress)

This only illustrates what some ethnic communities are all about. They are simply ghettos and closed communities which refuse to integrate and think they can operate in isolation to their host country.

If that is their choice then fine.

If it were up to me, i would be running free planes to Syria from Britain and letting all wannabee Jihadists fly for reduced rates. I would be photographing and finger printing them as they left the country and i would make sure that they never re-enter this country again.

They are the enemy within and its about time we took off the kid gloves and purged this country of these troublesome people.

This is obviously an issue that's going to be a strong news story for many months to come - I would like to be informed about it. I didn't know what Jihad was until this morning. I would like to pose one question though - why are these British men turning to Jihad? Is something provoking them? If so, surely we need to be dealing with the cause of the provocation. These men are being mislead, rather than dealing with the men themselves, we need to deal with their mentalities which I would imagine could spread like wildfire.

But would you not say that a fair proportion of jobs in the army which require manual labour, i.e. mechanical and technical practices (such as weapon handling, transportation services, maintenance) to name a few are what fits the criteria of a "blue-collar" worker and by association, working class?
Reply 34
Original post by katinthehat
This is obviously an issue that's going to be a strong news story for many months to come - I would like to be informed about it. I didn't know what Jihad was until this morning. I would like to pose one question though - why are these British men turning to Jihad? Is something provoking them? If so, surely we need to be dealing with the cause of the provocation. These men are being mislead, rather than dealing with the men themselves, we need to deal with their mentalities which I would imagine could spread like wildfire.

I guess it gives them a sense of belonging. But then, why do they not get that from the local mosque and/or their local community? Maybe they see that as old hat and boring whereas a festive Summer of Jihad is more exciting. Of course they may have inconveniently forgotten that

a) they may get bits blown off themselves
b)If that happens, whats the health service like in that part of the world?
c)Will they expect to come back to the UK with war injuries and get a lifetimes DLA and benefits?
d) The only wars they are allowed to fight in are those sponsored by HM Government.
Why in our right minds would we allow these nutters back into the country?

Quick Reply

Latest