The Student Room Group

BTEC people? Are you going to University?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kavv
Definitely. I hope to get a D*D*D* and go to a top 10 university. Although I'm worried about how much work I'll get compared to a BTEC

What course are you planning on doing? Because the vast majority won't accept a BTEC on it's own if you wanted to attend a university within the top 10.
Reply 41
Original post by David B
What course are you planning on doing? Because the vast majority won't accept a BTEC on it's own if you wanted to attend a university within the top 10.

Management or Marketing. Maybe a combination between the two. I've looked at all the websites and there's a few that accept the BTEC qualification. Although, they rely quite heavily on how well your GCSEs went. I contacted the admissions team of some universities and they seem OK with it.
Original post by MDunkley1995
I currently study a BTEC Diploma in Systems Support & Networking, then hopefully going to Glyndwr University to study BSc (Hons) Computer Network Management and Security

And alongside this attend a CISCO Network Academy, which they offer :biggrin:

Just some heads up, because I live in wrexham. Wrexham is a god awful place, I wouldn't wish it upon anyone. I understand glyndwr is quite a decent university for engineering/computer sciences, but Wrexham is a just, terrible. I've been wanting to move away for several years now, and next year I finally get the chance (y)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just finished by BTEC Extended Diploma in IT with D*D*D* and going to study engineering at Portsmouth University (with foundation year) :biggrin:
Original post by Kavv
Management or Marketing. Maybe a combination between the two. I've looked at all the websites and there's a few that accept the BTEC qualification. Although, they rely quite heavily on how well your GCSEs went. I contacted the admissions team of some universities and they seem OK with it.

That's great, which of the top 10 you planning on applying for?
Reply 45
Original post by David B
That's great, which of the top 10 you planning on applying for?

It depends what you consider 'top 10'. But Durham, Bath, Surrey & Leeds. :smile:
Original post by Kavv
It depends what you consider 'top 10'. But Durham, Bath, Surrey & Leeds. :smile:

Top 10 generally mean the top 10 universities in the university table rankings.
Reply 47
Original post by David B
Top 10 generally mean the top 10 universities in the university table rankings.

Then yes, Bath & Durham are both top 10. There's just different rankings across different websites :smile:. You going to uni?
Original post by Kavv
Then yes, Bath & Durham are both top 10. There's just different rankings across different websites :smile:. You going to uni?

Yeah. I'm off to Hull University to study Computer Science. :smile:
Original post by charleynetwork
Just finished by BTEC Extended Diploma in IT with D*D*D* and going to study engineering at Portsmouth University (with foundation year) :biggrin:

I'm going to Portsmouth as well! Although I'm doing Pharmacology :biggrin:

Congrats on the D*D*D* :biggrin:
Original post by ThisIsYourFace
I'm going to Portsmouth as well! Although I'm doing Pharmacology :biggrin:

Congrats on the D*D*D* :biggrin:

Do you have to get D's in all your units to get D*
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
When did you guys get your results?
And have your offers become unconditional yet?
Original post by NStar95

I have got my unofficial results, however it's likely the offers won't become unconditional until the end of this month.
Finished my BTEC in Animal Management with D*D*D* and I'm off to plymouth uni in September to do Animal Behaviour and welfare! :biggrin:
Reply 54
Original post by Binary Freak
I have got my unofficial results, however it's likely the offers won't become unconditional until the end of this month.

Oh I see, thanks :smile:
Original post by Sandra1
Do you have to get D's in all your units to get D*
Posted from TSR Mobile

You get D*'s depending on the amount of points you earn from each unit, which accumulate to your final 3 grades at the end of the 2 years. If you get the majority of your Units in your BTEC as Distinctions, then at the end of the 2 years you will have enough points to get D*'s as your final 3 grades.

If you want D*D*D*, you have to get at least 16 Distinctions in your 18 units.

Sounds a little confusing but if you need to chat feel free to PM me :smile:
I've just finished college with a DM in health and social care and a D* in applied science. I'm just wondering can the grades change ones they've been marked again? Thanks :smile:
Reply 57
Original post by ThisIsYourFace
You get D*'s depending on the amount of points you earn from each unit, which accumulate to your final 3 grades at the end of the 2 years. If you get the majority of your Units in your BTEC as Distinctions, then at the end of the 2 years you will have enough points to get D*'s as your final 3 grades.

If you want D*D*D*, you have to get at least 16 Distinctions in your 18 units.

Sounds a little confusing but if you need to chat feel free to PM me :smile:

or 15 + 3 merits, you need 1590/1620 points
Original post by xyzxyz
I want to do Biomedicine too. What is/was your grade?

Ah awesome, well I was asked for at least DMM and I was predicted DDM but actually got DDD in the end. :smile: I struggled in year one due to mental health problems and managed to get MM so DDD was the highest I could get in year two even though I got a distinction in all nine units this year. xD
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by NStar95

My offer became unconditional last night, earlier than I expected. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest