The Student Room Group

What should I choose for my fourth A-level?

I had a meeting today at school about my A-level options and there are some problems with timetable clashes. I originally chose to do chem, history, English lit/lang and Spanish. As you can see in the table, those subjects clash - so now I need to decide what to do instead. (SCROLL DOWN THERE IS A MASSIVE GAP FOR SOME REASON)
A
B
C
C
Art
Chemistry
Politics
English Language
Geography
History
English Lit/Lang
Business Studies
ICT
Media Studies
Graphics
Performing Arts
English Lit
P.E.
Health & Social Care
Biology
Maths
Psychology
Media Studies
English Language
R.S.
Travel & Tourism
Physics
R.S.

Psychology
Computing

Spanish
Applied Science

I was thinking of changing English Lit/Lang to just English Lit in block A - but I don't really enjoy poetry and am wondering if there will be too much in the course. So that's block A done. Now, I'd rather do history than chem in block B (I want to do a languages degree). So in block C I'd have Spanish. This leaves me with nothing in block D - what do you think would compliment English Lit, History and Spanish for a languages degree? Or would it be best to do a science - e.g. Biology?
That must be so frustrating for you :redface: personally, I'd go for either biology or R.S, but I'd advise you to choose the subject you'd enjoy most. Which do you think that is? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Changing Skies
That must be so frustrating for you :redface: personally, I'd go for either biology or R.S, but I'd advise you to choose the subject you'd enjoy most. Which do you think that is? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is really annoying but I can't do much about it because I really want to go to this sixth form (the one connected to my secondary school) and not the massive one down the road! Well I found biology quite boring this year - but I much prefer it to RS. I was so bad at RS in year 11 - I didn't try at all though and barely scraped a C!
Original post by nelizabeth_
It is really annoying but I can't do much about it because I really want to go to this sixth form (the one connected to my secondary school) and not the massive one down the road! Well I found biology quite boring this year - but I much prefer it to RS. I was so bad at RS in year 11 - I didn't try at all though and barely scraped a C!

Ahhh unlucky :redface: never mind, I'm sure it'll work out for you :smile: if I'm honest, I didn't really love GCSE Biology very much but took it because I wanted to be a vet; I ended up adoring it at A level and will be studying it at university! Do you know what exam board you'd be with? I'd advise looking at the specification and looking at what topics you'll be studying to see whether or not they appeal to you. Biology is content heavy and if you won't enjoy it, you'll struggle to find any motivation. I'd think seriously about it before rushing into deciding :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
what does anyone think about business?
Reply 5
that's so bad! I'm sorry you can't do what you wanted to :frown:

I do English Lit, Spanish and History as well as Chemistry (trust me, you're not missing out at all on chemistry!) and I also want to pursue a degree in languages and a science doesn't particularly mix well with it. While you're demonstrating that you have a mixture of skills by taking a science, universities don't really care when it comes to it - they only care if you're going to get the grades to get in regardless of the subject. So I would suggest maybe English Language for block D? I don't take it so I'm not fully sure what it entails but it is quite useful for a languages degree. But really it should be whatever you enjoy because you're not going to do well in the subject if you don't enjoy it!

You do have to do poetry in English Lit but it really isn't that bad! I didn't like poetry either before but now I have no problem with it :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by charhey
that's so bad! I'm sorry you can't do what you wanted to :frown:

I do English Lit, Spanish and History as well as Chemistry (trust me, you're not missing out at all on chemistry!) and I also want to pursue a degree in languages and a science doesn't particularly mix well with it. While you're demonstrating that you have a mixture of skills by taking a science, universities don't really care when it comes to it - they only care if you're going to get the grades to get in regardless of the subject. So I would suggest maybe English Language for block D? I don't take it so I'm not fully sure what it entails but it is quite useful for a languages degree. But really it should be whatever you enjoy because you're not going to do well in the subject if you don't enjoy it!

You do have to do poetry in English Lit but it really isn't that bad! I didn't like poetry either before but now I have no problem with it :smile:

Thanks so much -I didn't think about English Language but will consider it now:biggrin:
Reply 7
I was told by my school that some universities in England don't accept English Language and English Literature studied together at A Level. (I live in Northern Ireland and not many schools offer A Level English Language.) Is that true? I ended up doing Politics over English Language at A Level, along with History, English Lit, and RE. If you want to do a language degree at uni, don't waste time on a science.

Quick Reply

Latest