The Student Room Group

What universities do you 'look down upon'?

Just wondering

Scroll to see replies

London Met
Nottingham Trent
Arrogance is a disgusting trait. It's so unfortunate that elitism exists.
Oxford, purely because it produces people like David Cameron. Effing bigots.
None, all universities are quality institutions of learning
Reply 6
Original post by Omni Vanitas
London Met

Most people say this one. Is it that bad?
Lol all of them
Honestly, I don't look down on any. People are entitled to go where the heck they like and it isn't my place to judge. Some people work hard to get into a university that some would consider bad and it upsets me to see them put down for their achievements. Also, some apparently 'bad' universities are excellent for certain areas so completely dismissing them is ridiculous. Basically, if it doesn't affect you and your education, it's absolutely none of your business.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Define 'look down upon'. For example, I'm not impressed with King's at the moment because of the way they're treating staff (http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/comment/opinion/no-logic-in-kings-college-job-cuts/2014249.article ). It's making me look down on the university, since how a place is run, rather than some arbitrary concept of 'prestige', is more important, in my opinion.

Original post by Dani California
Oxford, purely because it produces people like David Cameron. Effing bigots.

I love being here but this is one of the things I hate (and didn't expect): being judged negatively for going to Oxford (or Cambridge) sucks. I'm a totally normal person, and I never thought I'd be made to feel embarrassed about something as inconsequential as where I go to uni. And I think the same should apply to all universities, regardless of where they place on the league tables.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Arrogance is a disgusting trait. It's so unfortunate that elitism exists.

I second this.
Original post by That_Hijabi
Most people say this one. Is it that bad?

No, those who claim so are ignorant elitist followers. A university is an institution that provides higher education. Different approaches may be taken to suit people of different academic capabilities/interests/learning styles.

Props to anyone who goes to university and is willing to invest time in furthering their education.
Original post by llacerta
Define 'look down upon'. For example, I'm not impressed with King's at the moment because of the way they're treating staff (http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/comment/opinion/no-logic-in-kings-college-job-cuts/2014249.article ). It's making me look down on the university, since how a place is run, rather than some arbitrary concept of 'prestige', is more important, in my opinion.

I love being here but this is one of the things I hate (and didn't expect): being judged negatively for going to Oxford (or Cambridge) sucks. I'm a totally normal person, and I never thought I'd be made to feel embarrassed about something as inconsequential as where I go to uni. And I think the same should apply to all universities, regardless of where they place on the league tables.

Don't you go Royal holloway?
Sorry if i'm mistaken but i saw someone with the same avatar and similar name post on the RH threads :tongue:
Original post by llacerta

This was more comment on my hatred of politicians rather than the whole population of Oxford.
Besides, why does it embarrass you? If you're not the *******, I've got no problem with you, regardless of where you're from.
All the ones on the coast are generally quite low.

And Cherwell Poly, natch.
None.
I judge a university's prestige based on its ranking in league tables, such as the Guardian's rankings that they publish each year. So Oxbridge is obviously the most prestigious, by far. I don't think it's elitist to suggest those institutions at the top or close to the top of the rankings are far more prestigious than those at the bottom.
'The University of Life'. Seriously, who came up with this crappy phrase?
Original post by Omni Vanitas
London Met

I knew this would be like the first post here...

Original post by InsertWittyName
'The University of Life'. Seriously, who came up with this crappy phrase?

Would agree with that one. A lot of the time, people who say that, TEND to be ********s. Not always the case, but UOL kinda people tend not to be very nice
Original post by That_Hijabi
Don't you go Royal holloway?
Sorry if i'm mistaken but i saw someone with the same avatar and similar name post on the RH threads :tongue:

I did, but I graduated last summer and now I'm doing a Master's and subsequent PhD at Oxford- which makes it even weirder, going from a university no-one has heard of to one that, well, everyone has!

Original post by Dani California
This was more comment on my hatred of politicians rather than the whole population of Oxford.
Besides, why does it embarrass you? If you're not the *******, I've got no problem with you, regardless of where you're from.

Fair enough. But what you said is a very common view of Oxford, all those snobbos and posh people, etc. etc., and whilst I completely understand why people say it, it can get quite frustrating. I find it embarrassing because when I talk to people who may not have gone to uni themselves, they immediately assume that because I'm here, I must be 'one of those people'- despite the fact that my own parents didn't go to uni...It's just difficult experiencing that sort of immediate, often harsh, judgement. But there are plenty of benefits of being here so I won't complain too much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending