The Student Room Group

I'm a muslim girl who's fasting. Ask me anything :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
1. Do you think it's healthy?
2. What do you eat when the Sun goes down/before it comes up?
3. Are you allowed to drink water?
Reply 41
Original post by That_Hijabi
We fast from dawn till sunset.

I don't think it's pointless at all. Millions starve for days around the world. It teaches you gratitude and self discipline. I love the fact that i'm doing it for my Lord so it's worth it. But each to their own opinions of course :smile:

Once again each to their own but why does the fact others starve make it a thing you should do. They starve and suffer because they have to. You're just joining in despite the fact you don't need to. It's not like they want to starve.

Question number 2: Why does doing it for your "Lord" make it worth it. The way I see it is like someone from a higher power is telling you what to do. From my perspective it's like a slave being told to starve their master and being forced to enjoy it. Sound overly harsh but it's what's going through my head right now.

Question number 3: Would your God rather not prefer you to be grateful for what you have and not refuse to take it for a certain amount of hours just because sufferers don't.

Once again sorry for being so blunt. I'm curious and I guess it's the way I am
Reply 42
Salaam :smile: What ethno-cultural background are you and your family from? :beard:
Original post by Steezy

1) some may say it's not but i think ramadan has some health benefits. Depending on what your "normal" diet is like, Ramadan could be a time to cut down on fats, which can help lower your cholesterol. For that to work, you will have to skip eating high-fat meals in the evening and instead go for healthier lean proteins and non-fried dishes. Because you're fasting for so many hours, you will also be eating less sodium, which could help you reduce your blood pressure.

2) when the sun goes down, I eat a lot of samosas and pancakes. And rice with chicken and mango smoothie. I also love eating baklawa (arab sweets) and dates.

3) no, we can't drink water :smile:
Original post by Hijr
Salaam :smile: What ethno-cultural background are you and your family from? :beard:

I'm somali but some tend to confuse me with arab sometimes :tongue:

You?
Original post by Steezy

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Healthyra...andhealth.aspx
Reply 46
1) some may say it's not but i think ramadan has some health benefits. Depending on what your "normal" diet is like, Ramadan could be a time to cut down on fats, which can help lower your cholesterol. For that to work, you will have to skip eating high-fat meals in the evening and instead go for healthier lean proteins and non-fried dishes. Because you're fasting for so many hours, you will also be eating less sodium, which could help you reduce your blood pressure.

2) when the sun goes down, I eat a lot of samosas and pancakes. And rice with chicken and mango smoothie. I also love eating baklawa (arab sweets) and dates.

3) no, we can't drink water :smile:

That's just really not healthy...

Dehydrating yourself through the day, not giving yourself the vitmains, minerals & nutrients you need during the day and then not a very good diet at night.

You're pretty much starving your body, both of calories and of nutrients..

Leads me to my final question - why would Allah want you to risk your health in such a fundamental way?
Original post by TheKian
Once again each to their own but why does the fact others starve make it a thing you should do. They starve and suffer because they have to. You're just joining in despite the fact you don't need to. It's not like they want to starve.

Question number 2: Why does doing it for your "Lord" make it worth it. The way I see it is like someone from a higher power is telling you what to do. From my perspective it's like a slave being told to starve their master and being forced to enjoy it. Sound overly harsh but it's what's going through my head right now.

Question number 3: Would your God rather not prefer you to be grateful for what you have and not refuse to take it for a certain amount of hours just because sufferers don't.

Fasting helps you physically and spiritually.
Some examples:
Physically

Spiritually

During Ramadan you are starving and are thirsty but you do not give in because you are doing it for Allah so even though you become physically weak your heart grows stronger in love for Allah.
During Ramadan you give up halal things like food so after Ramadan it is easier for you to give up haram things which also brings you closer to Allah. And we want to please Allah because he is our creator.

Also by not having food for a certain number of hours makes you more grateful for when you do have it
Reply 48
Original post by ThatMadClown
Fasting has it's benefits.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not as many benefits as a healthy, balanced diet and lots of water.
Reply 49
Original post by Fahmida98
Fasting helps you physically and spiritually.
Some examples:
Physically

Spiritually

During Ramadan you are starving and are thirsty but you do not give in because you are doing it for Allah so even though you become physically weak your heart grows stronger in love for Allah.
During Ramadan you give up halal things like food so after Ramadan it is easier for you to give up haram things which also brings you closer to Allah. And we want to please Allah because he is our creator.

Also by not having food for a certain number of hours makes you more grateful for when you do have it

Sorry but that makes no sense to me. Could you explain it a little simpler please
When will you slow down?
Reply 51
I'm somali but some tend to confuse me with arab sometimes :tongue:

You?

Ahhh cool, ngl, I thought you looked Arab :colondollar:

I'm Indian :u:
Original post by IWantSomeMushu
When will you slow down?

Sorry, what are you talking about?
Reply 53
Hello! I am Muslim too, gosh these 17 hour fasts are so difficult but so rewarding! How do you keep yourself occupied? My sixth form has broken up for summer and being at home ALL day is boring and time goes by so slowly. So help! How do I occupy myself! (directed to all!)
Thank you :h:

how is your arabic? can you understand the quran? other classical texts? can you understand spoken MSA?
Why are you Muslim?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Harrie Lyons
how is your arabic? can you understand the quran? other classical texts? can you understand spoken MSA?

My arabic is ok but not perfect. My read and writing are quite good though. I can understand surats up to surat Inshirah and i can also understand many verses of surt Baqarah. I'll be studying arabic part time from september so i'm sure my arabic will improve greatly :smile:
Original post by hannahaf
Hello! I am Muslim too, gosh these 17 hour fasts are so difficult but so rewarding! How do you keep yourself occupied? My sixth form has broken up for summer and being at home ALL day is boring and time goes by so slowly. So help! How do I occupy myself! (directed to all!)

Watching islamic talks on youtube, reading articles, tsr and reading quran :smile:

What a-levels do u do and how did your exams go?
Original post by SerLorasTyrell
Why are you Muslim?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because i believe it's the truth :smile:
Reply 59
Original post by TheKian

I am Muslim and I'm also bored so I may as well attempt to answer. The whole concept of fasting isn't to starve ourselves. Its a religious cleanse in which us Muslims believe it cleanses our souls and makes us realise how great-full we really are for even the most smallest of things e.g water. Allah (swt- God) isn't a slaving us, those who suffer medical related issues musnt fast. Those who feel negative towards the fast shouldn't fast. Theres so many! It's not like we're forced to fast or that defeats the entire objective of being grate-full! (I have no idea if I'v answered anything I've just rambled on haha sorry chum!)

Quick Reply

Latest