The Student Room Group

Motorbike Society- IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Motorbiker
No? Just going to stick for cars for a while then?

I have just bought my first place and after 3 days of being in, my bike gets nicked. It is in a lovely area but it does leave a certain sour taste and i'm wondering if I should wait till I can afford a place with a garage.

Or...look for a garage to rent I guess.
Original post by gbduo
I have just bought my first place and after 3 days of being in, my bike gets nicked. It is in a lovely area but it does leave a certain sour taste and i'm wondering if I should wait till I can afford a place with a garage.

Is Southampton that bad? My bike lives on the street in Brighton which is supposed to be bad for bike thefts but "tough wood" mine is fine and has been for 4 years here.

Yea, look for a garage to rent. My bro used to do that and they can be cheap.
Original post by Motorbiker
Is Southampton that bad? My bike lives on the street in Brighton which is supposed to be bad for bike thefts but "tough wood" mine is fine and has been for 4 years here.

Yea, look for a garage to rent. My bro used to do that and they can be cheap.

No Southampton is meant to be pretty good, espcially this area. Its just unlucky.
Original post by 345rty
They offered to do house to house enquiries but I've already spoken to all the neighbours and nobody saw anything beyond that already reported so what is there for them to do?

oh bummer

find some bikers and set up our own sting operation!

Original post by gbduo

street triples do have a habit of going missing, almost as quickly as sport bikes, it the main worry im going to have when i finally do get me one.
you probably would be fine with something a little less desirable
Original post by Boristhethird
oh bummer

find some bikers and set up our own sting operation!

street triples do have a habit of going missing, almost as quickly as sport bikes, it the main worry im going to have when i finally do get me one.
you probably would be fine with something a little less desirable

A little less desireable? You mean boring? Lol
Original post by gbduo

not at all, the street triple is an exceptional bike, but you an still have oodles of fun on a bike thats not going to keep you worried about being stolen.
the older hornets are a great example, brilliant handling, fast, fun, cheap, and not so likely to be stolen.
Reply 1966
not at all, the street triple is an exceptional bike, but you an still have oodles of fun on a bike thats not going to keep you worried about being stolen.
the older hornets are a great example, brilliant handling, fast, fun, cheap, and not so likely to be stolen.

Why don't you get a hornet then?! You'll probably even find one on your drive!

Posted from TSR Mobile
And thats confirmation through that the police are closing the case.

A hornet is fun I hear, might look at those...
Original post by gbduo

Tbh you could get one 95% as fun that's like 10% of the theft risk.

Depends if you want the theives to win. :wink:

Original post by 345rty

That's annoying that they didn't even try following up that lead for you but they must have finite time/resources etc.
eh? so the police are not doing anything?xxzv

oh bugger!
I didn't even get my go!

:console:

I thought you were in Wales the week before

Nope, this weekend im in xford watching bit on the side get 3ft of hair cut off for charity

Original post by Lantana
Oh no :frown:

Without me?

oli hasn't told me if he is coming or not yet. last i heard he'd let me know.

Original post by gbduo

That was why i've ended up in a bad area, but i do have a garage, that said the garage got broken in to but they only took the two rock hoppers not the motorbikes. I couldn't risk 2/3 bikes outside the front of a house, it'd be too much temptation
Original post by Juno
Why don't you get a hornet then?! You'll probably even find one on your drive!

Posted from TSR Mobile

if i sold phyllis its one of the bike id want

Original post by 345rty

A hornet is fun I hear, might look at those...

that sucks.

on the plus side, hornets are great fun

Original post by Bathwiggle
Nope, this weekend im in xford watching bit on the side get 3ft of hair cut off for charity

oli hasn't told me if he is coming or not yet. last i heard he'd let me know.

That was why i've ended up in a bad area, but i do have a garage, that said the garage got broken in to but they only took the two rock hoppers not the motorbikes. I couldn't risk 2/3 bikes outside the front of a house, it'd be too much temptation

so are we in wales at the same time? :teeth:
Hi all
Im not a biker but I have this one bizarre question and you may think im daft but im not sure how everythin works... lol
How does the licence scheme work for a bike??

A friend of mine had a really nice honda 250 and used to take me everywhere on it he got stopped by the police and had it impounded on the basis that his licence expired.... he hasnt got a full licence however he said that he had a full bike licence and that it 'ran out'.... I know that you have to do a cbt when you have a bike and with the L plates you are not allowed a passenger on the back so has he got confused or is there such thing as a full bike licence like the equivalence of full car licence and that the bike licence simply 'ran out'?!?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Eah0691
Hi all
Im not a biker but I have this one bizarre question and you may think im daft but im not sure how everythin works... lol
How does the licence scheme work for a bike??

A friend of mine had a really nice honda 250 and used to take me everywhere on it he got stopped by the police and had it impounded on the basis that his licence expired.... he hasnt got a full licence however he said that he had a full bike licence and that it 'ran out'.... I know that you have to do a cbt when you have a bike and with the L plates you are not allowed a passenger on the back so has he got confused or is there such thing as a full bike licence like the equivalence of full car licence and that the bike licence simply 'ran out'?!?

Posted from TSR Mobile

the full licences only expire after 10 years (same as a car) when you just need a new photo.

once you have passed your bike test, you have the licence for life, sounds to me like he was riding it on just a CBT.
Reply 1973
the full licences only expire after 10 years (same as a car) when you just need a new photo.

once you have passed your bike test, you have the licence for life, sounds to me like he was riding it on just a CBT.

Yeah sounds the same to me. There is a full bike test just like a full car test. You can only ride 125cc on a cbt, cannot take passengers and are not allowed on motorways. A cbt will expire after 2 years if a full test isn't done by then.
Hhhmmm interestin.... oh dear lol thanks guys :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Who needs to go to the gym, just push your bike 500m up hill!
Who needs to go to the gym, just push your bike 500m up hill!

Have pushed bike 1km uphill before after going to the gym that day. Was dead.
I'm taking an MT-09 and MT-07 on a test ride on tuesday! :biggrin:

anyone want to come and keep me company (in Hemel Hempstead)
I'm taking an MT-09 and MT-07 on a test ride on tuesday! :biggrin:

anyone want to come and keep me company (in Hemel Hempstead)

I would, but i'm at work, and just realised teh sv has no mot and the front brake doesn't seem to make the light work...
I would, but i'm at work, and just realised teh sv has no mot and the front brake doesn't seem to make the light work...

bah, excuses excuses! :tongue:

its going to be a good week for me, MT-07, MT-09, street triple R and another triumph (possible daytona) in one week :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest