The Student Room Group

Uni isn't for me...

So I went to a uni open day and decided if I go to do psychology at uni I would start to dislike it because the course is so vigorous and that I would rather do it as a hobby than as a job so I was thinking about an apprenticeship, I'm not sure what apprenticeship I would do yet but I was thinking about estate agency or hotel work, I've currently finished AS and am moving onto A2 next year, would I be able to get a decent job without a degree because I've heard about employers employing people 'because they have a degree' rather than people who have been in the business for 20/30 years which I think is ridiculous

I did really like the uni I went to visit today though as it is a really small uni, bishop grossteste in lincoln and last year in psychology they had 37 students which is ideal for me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Possibly take a gap year, see what you can get in the job market. If you can get in with an apprenticeship scheme then I reckon they set you up quite well. The biggest problem is getting an apprenticeship because they don't seem overly abundant.

It just depends what you want to do, ultimately. Most employers will value experience, so if you're established in a field then you're a safe bet for them to employ. That said, getting into something can be difficult because you neither have a degree nor the experience. I think for estate agents and hospitality you don't need a degree behind you, as the industries have their own qualifications. If you can get an apprenticeship they will usually help you to get the qualifications as you go along.

You don't have to commit to university yet - you can apply and basically deal with it later. If you get something lined up for the end of your A-levels then you can just withdraw the UCAS application.
Reply 2
Thanks, if I did go to uni then I would have had a gap year anyway to try and decide but I was thinking of ringing up or posting letters through the doors of local estate agents if they would allow me to observe them for a week or two just to see what the job actually entails, then if it's not what I expected do the same with another business because I have a 10 week summer holiday but thanks for the help! Do you think it would be worth doing the letters and would they allow a teenager in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
As an over 18, employing you as an apprentice will cost employers more. It's not as simple as saying "I'll just get an apprenticeship". Do you have any paid work experience? For the jobs you are considering, paid experience working with members of the public will look great on your CV- could you organise a summer job or weekend job this year? Unpaid experience is good too, but most employers will value paid experience more, even if it's not so directly related to the job.

Most employers do value experience, but it doesn't sound like you have any, right now. For some levels of work, you will be expected to have a degree, so you may have to start off lower down the ladder than you would like. It depends what you class as a "decent job", many people can't get well paying work even with a degree, or years of experience or both.

However, it might be worth spending a year or so exploring your options after sixth form, and if things don't work out, you can always go to uni later. I do think if you want a "career" rather than a job, going to university will probably help. If you don't like psychology, what about something else e.g. business related or marketing?
Reply 4
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
As an over 18, employing you as an apprentice will cost employers more. It's not as simple as saying "I'll just get an apprenticeship". Do you have any paid work experience? For the jobs you are considering, paid experience working with members of the public will look great on your CV- could you organise a summer job or weekend job this year? Unpaid experience is good too, but most employers will value paid experience more, even if it's not so directly related to the job.

Most employers do value experience, but it doesn't sound like you have any, right now. For some levels of work, you will be expected to have a degree, so you may have to start off lower down the ladder than you would like. It depends what you class as a "decent job", many people can't get well paying work even with a degree, or years of experience or both.

However, it might be worth spending a year or so exploring your options after sixth form, and if things don't work out, you can always go to uni later. I do think if you want a "career" rather than a job, going to university will probably help. If you don't like psychology, what about something else e.g. business related or marketing?

I had a paper round when I was 13-16, I volunteered in a charity shop for nearly 2 years, I had a summer job as a cleaner at my school after I finished my exams for 6 weeks now I have a weekend job at the shop cotton traders which I have been doing for nearly 3 months so I've had a fair few jobs and experience in different fields

And I just think I would find a business like subject incredibly boring considering I did AS economics and nearly died of boredom

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending