The Student Room Group

Will people take me seriously? "Chav?"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fullofsurprises
As you are short and young-looking, then will want some things that stand out and mark out your unique qualities, so don't worry about having some unusual apparel so long as it isn't too way out. This is college we're talking about, where the unusual can often be the norm. :biggrin:

Thank you! I like to look unique so that's good:smile:
Original post by Petulia
Huge messy teased hair, big hoop earrings, small handbag and high tops (this is how she usually looks) but she's actually really shy. If she hadn't spoken to me though I'd still think she's a chav just because of how she presents herself.

At least you got to know her and wasn't rude like some people could have been:smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Okay, I'm going to college soon and I'm worried that people aren't going to take me seriously. I love wearing barbie pink lips, handbags, cornrows, big earrings etc. I'm doing history, law etc and I just think people might judge and stereotype me..I shouldn't care but urgh.:s-smilie:

I'm worried that my teachers are going to get a bad first impression of me, even though I'm a kind and hard working person. Perhaps thinking "what is she doing here?". :confused: I'm not going to change myself, I just want to brace myself. I don't wear tube tops, mini skirts, heels or anything like that. (nothing wrong with that though).

They will I'm afraid but as long as you are strong and stick to your guns then you can power through, you'll just have it a bit tougher than others.
Original post by Dani California
Not gonna lie, don't like the way you dress, but I'll be willing to bet my life people think the same about me. I curl my bleach blond hair and wear a full smokey eye everyday, have tattoos, wear combat boots 24/7, wear mostly black and love leather and fringes. I'm guessing a girl like you will think that's weird as ****e, but I like it. Wear whatever the hell you want to, and when you get stereotyped, prove them wrong and STILL dress the way you want to.

Thank you, I actually love the sound of how you dress. I literally love so many different styles:biggrin:
Original post by AnharM
If it's any consolation, I used to dress like a chav during my first few months at college. My hair was also pretty awful to say the least. I used to wear this huge purple bomber jacket that wouldn't fit me, and jeans that are loose...thank **** I changed my look over time. Now I think I have one of the best fashion sense.

My mate in college didn't like chavs at all, so it was really weird how we just hit it off. We had a common interest in football and the love for maths, so we used to hang all the time. He changed my fashion sense over time, my haircut as well got much better, and I generally changed into a much better person after that one single year.

If you're happy with how you're now then that's great:smile: I do like the sound of the purple bomber jacket though:biggrin:
Original post by redferry
They will I'm afraid but as long as you are strong and stick to your guns then you can power through, you'll just have it a bit tougher than others.

Thank you, I'll embrace it!:colondollar:
Reply 46
If you're happy with how you're now then that's great:smile: I do like the sound of the purple bomber jacket though:biggrin:

Btw, I was also the top student in my Chemistry/Maths classes. Seriously, my first Chemistry lesson was horrible. I came in late because I got lost, and when I came in, everyone was just staring at me with those mean eyes, probably because of my hair and my clothes LOL. I had to sit on the front desk alone, while everyone else made friends already, and my teacher looked at me like I came to the Chemistry class by accident. I could tell.

My best mate in college also told me he thought I chose A-Level Chemistry by accident when he first saw me in my Chemistry lesson LOOOL
:biggrin:
Original post by AnharM
Btw, I was also the top student in my Chemistry/Maths classes. Seriously, my first Chemistry lesson was horrible. I came in late because I got lost, and when I came in, everyone was just staring at me with those mean eyes, probably because of my hair and my clothes LOL. I had to sit on the front desk alone, while everyone else made friends already, and my teacher looked at me like I came to the Chemistry class by accident. I could tell.

My best mate in college also told me he thought I chose A-Level Chemistry by accident when he first saw me in my Chemistry lesson LOOOL

Just shows that (obviously) there is no correlation with dress sense and intelligence:biggrin:
Oh god get a life!! No one cares. If you're that self conscious then change.
Original post by ldsbabe
Oh god get a life!! No one cares. If you're that self conscious then change.

Well you're a bundle of joy..:smile:
I don't think it's that big of a deal. There are people at college who think that having your trousers half-way down your arse is a good look.
As long as you act like a hard working citizen, people will treat you as such, regardless of what you are wearing.

I'm on the verge of being called a goth, but it hasn't affected people's perceptions of me. Actually... you might find that most intelligent people won't care at all.
Okay, I'm going to college soon and I'm worried that people aren't going to take me seriously. I love wearing barbie pink lips, handbags, cornrows, big earrings etc. I'm doing history, law etc and I just think people might judge and stereotype me..I shouldn't care but urgh.:s-smilie:

I'm worried that my teachers are going to get a bad first impression of me, even though I'm a kind and hard working person. Perhaps thinking "what is she doing here?". :confused: I'm not going to change myself, I just want to brace myself. I don't wear tube tops, mini skirts, heels or anything like that. (nothing wrong with that though).

Walk in with your head held high. If people judge you for you clothing etc.....you know what..... If your teachers buckle to take such view then really why they hell do they teach? Esp at college where young people are trying new things etc etc.

Be proud of yourself and always keep your head up! :smile:

All the best!

Wear what you want i guess. I don't see anything wrong with wearing pink lipstick or cornrows. Lot's of people wear handbags- you want a bag big and strong enough to fit your folders though. Big earrings...like the loopy earrings? It can look nice if worn with a nice outfit. For example, if you wore big loop earrings with a tracksuit...that screams chav to me.
You don't sound or seem to dress like a 'chav' to me. Your hair must be amazing!

Besides, after a while, you probably won't care what you wear. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by iheartplums
I don't think it's that big of a deal. There are people at college who think that having your trousers half-way down your arse is a good look.

Each to their own.:redface:
Original post by Another
As long as you act like a hard working citizen, people will treat you as such, regardless of what you are wearing.

I'm on the verge of being called a goth, but it hasn't affected people's perceptions of me. Actually... you might find that most intelligent people won't care at all.

That's true, thank you.:smile:
Original post by I Procrastinate
Wear what you want i guess. I don't see anything wrong with wearing pink lipstick or cornrows. Lot's of people wear handbags- you want a bag big and strong enough to fit your folders though. Big earrings...like the loopy earrings? It can look nice if worn with a nice outfit. For example, if you wore big loop earrings with a tracksuit...that screams chav to me.
You don't sound or seem to dress like a 'chav' to me. Your hair must be amazing!

Besides, after a while, you probably won't care what you wear. :smile:

Thank you:biggrin: by loop, do you mean like circle hoop earrings?

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130120154146/celebrity/images/1/15/Woman_wearing_hoop_earrings.jpg
Original post by NightOwl1985
Walk in with your head held high. If people judge you for you clothing etc.....you know what..... If your teachers buckle to take such view then really why they hell do they teach? Esp at college where young people are trying new things etc etc.

Be proud of yourself and always keep your head up! :smile:

All the best!

Thank you!:colondollar:

Y to the motheruking O L O and teachers will like you regardless of how you look, for them it's more about how hard you work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending