The Student Room Group

How long before "Black boxes" compulsory in every car?

I can see a time, in maybe 10 years, when having one of those Black boxes in your car is compulsory by law, if the insurance companies haven't all mandated it by then anyway.

Would anyone have any objections to this?

Furthermore, the police have been using and the courts have found that they can, use the data that these devices record - your speed, your location, your actions in the car - as evidence against you to prosecute a crime. What this means is that if you're involved in any kind of accident, your speed can be determined, if/when you braked, your position on the road and how long you'd been driving for and all used as evidence against you.

But should the police be informed automatically if the data being recorded indicates your breaking the law, i.e. if you break the speed limit on a road or have been driving without a break for an excessive length of time? And should the be allowed to use the information to find out your location at a certain time to exonerate or implicate you in a crime they're investigating?

I'm not saying I am in favour of this, but on the face of it, it would likely make for more responsible and safer driving, if drivers thought there was a strong a check as this on their driving, anywhere at anytime.
I can't imagine it catching on simply because of the privacy issue with them. The vast majority of people flaunt the rules in at least one way or another so I can imagine a device which informs the police and insurers of any violations wont be much appreciated by the public.
Reply 2
Original post by Darkphilosopher
I can't imagine it catching on simply because of the privacy issue with them. The vast majority of people flaunt the rules in at least one way or another so I can imagine a device which informs the police and insurers of any violations wont be much appreciated by the public.

I agree it wouldn't be much appreciated by the public, but that doesn't mean it won't become policy. Plenty of things the majority of the public would like done away with exist.

Think about number plates even. It's a bit of plastic you are forced to stick on the front and back of your private property so that you can be identified if someone thinks you've done something naughty in that car and wants you before the courts for something criminal or civil.
Original post by 122025278
I agree it wouldn't be much appreciated by the public, but that doesn't mean it won't become policy. Plenty of things the majority of the public would like done away with exist.

Think about number plates even. It's a bit of plastic you are forced to stick on the front and back of your private property so that you can be identified if someone thinks you've done something naughty in that car and wants you before the courts for something criminal or civil.

They're also handy for when your car gets stolen :wink:
"It's a silver Ford" wouldn't get you very far.
Original post by 122025278

I see where you're coming from but I believe that something like this would be too controversial for the big politcal parties to try and legislate, especially as everybody with a car would have to be told about it so they wouldn't be able to sneak it by without people noticing.

Number plates on the other hand have a number of practical uses that people use on a day to day basis.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending