The Student Room Group

Would you take a cleaners job?

Say you're at uni, [in the north, manchester, so no london pay expectations!] and there's an available job for 2 hours a week or so cash in hand, involving cleaning, washing up, washing, dusting, changing the beds, vacuuming, blabla.

1. Would you be interested?
2. How much pay would you be happy with?

Scroll to see replies

I already did when I was younger. Got stuck in the lift and had to be rescued by firemen.

It was awesome :moon:
Reply 2
Original post by Viva Emptiness
I already did when I was younger. Got stuck in the lift and had to be rescued by firemen.

It was awesome :moon:

I can just see it :p:

'why do you have to leave uni early samba?'
'my cleaner is stuck in the lift'
'did your dog eat your homework too????'
Reply 3
It depends who I'm cleaning up after. If its a sterotypical student that lives like an animal then **** no.
I'd take it, though I'd be wary that it might be dodgy, if it were a man having me come round to his flat I'd be wary of his intentions :/

But yeah cleaning is fairly easy, and if it was legit then would be an easy source of extra income :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
No I wouldn't
Reply 6
Original post by Odd socks
I'd take it, though I'd be wary that it might be dodgy, if it were a man having me come round to his flat I'd be wary of his intentions :/

But yeah cleaning is fairly easy, and if it was legit then would be an easy source of extra income :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why? Not all men are rapists. :/ And what sort of pay would you expect?
Original post by samba
Say you're at uni, [in the north, manchester, so no london pay expectations!] and there's an available job for 2 hours a week or so cash in hand, involving cleaning, washing up, washing, dusting, changing the beds, vacuuming, blabla.

1. Would you be interested?
2. How much pay would you be happy with?

I live too far away I'd pay more to get to Manchester than I would earn and I'd probably have to live there to have the job. If it came up where I live I'd take it :colone:
Reply 8
Original post by Tilly-Elizabeth
I live too far away I'd pay more to get to Manchester than I would earn and I'd probably have to live there to have the job. If it came up where I live I'd take it :colone:

Lol thanks. I'm not asking specific people though or making a job offer, just trying to get an idea of what wage I should offer to make it fair, and whether it'd be safe to leave somebody with a set of my keys :p:
Original post by samba
Why? Not all men are rapists. :/ And what sort of pay would you expect?

Never said they were, but I'm not going to blindly assume it's safe to go to alone to a stranger's home. Now if I knew them or was fairly sure they weren't a creep that'd be fine.

Hmm, I've not got much experience in it, but I'd probably do it pretty cheap. Like minimum wage?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Erm yes. Some people at my school work as the school's cleaners (but tbh i think it's only mopping and hoovering, so nothing too grimey).
Original post by samba
Lol thanks. I'm not asking specific people though or making a job offer, just trying to get an idea of what wage I should offer to make it fair, and whether it'd be safe to leave somebody with a set of my keys :p:

Oh I see. Take someone on - pay them minimum wage for their age. Only give them a set of keys when you know you can trust them maybe. :smile:
I wouldn't for cash in hand...
Reply 13
Original post by Odd socks
Never said they were, but I'm not going to blindly assume it's safe to go to alone to a stranger's home. Now if I knew them or was fairly sure they weren't a creep that'd be fine.

Hmm, I've not got much experience in it, but I'd probably do it pretty cheap. Like minimum wage?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sad state of affairs but fair enough I suppose lol.

I was thinking more like £8-10 an hour or something as they'd need to travel there and stuff. Maybe a bit more if they could feed the fish and stuff too when I'm away or out the country.
Desperate time call for desperate measures :s-smilie:
Reply 15
Original post by Tilly-Elizabeth
Oh I see. Take someone on - pay them minimum wage for their age. Only give them a set of keys when you know you can trust them maybe. :smile:

You don't think minimum wage is taking the piss a bit when it's only 2 hours a week and they have to travel and stuff, and do washing up etc?

Just seems a little exploitative to pay the absolute minimum when you can afford a little more ;/
Yes. Although I would like more hours. 6-10 would be okay to juggle around uni work and social life while supplementing your income.

Minimum Wage.
Original post by samba
You don't think minimum wage is taking the piss a bit when it's only 2 hours a week and they have to travel and stuff, and do washing up etc?

Just seems a little exploitative to pay the absolute minimum when you can afford a little more ;/

If you take someone on who is local so they don't have travel fees it would be easier. Very few people would be willing to travel for just 2 hours - so a local person would be more likely to take on the job.

As for washing I don't think it's a reason not to pay minimum wage. But if you can afford more then pay more. :h:
Original post by samba
Sad state of affairs but fair enough I suppose lol.

I was thinking more like £8-10 an hour or something as they'd need to travel there and stuff. Maybe a bit more if they could feed the fish and stuff too when I'm away or out the country.

Yeah, it's just a precaution that I would take, better safe than sorry :yep:

Ah yeah i don't think anyone would complain about that, if you can afford it, giving decent pay like that is likely to make you seem more legit and attract someone to take you up on the offer :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samba
Would you take a cleaners job?

No, but UKIP told me that Romanians and Eastern Europeans are taking them all

Quick Reply

Latest