The Student Room Group

I'm a muslim girl who's fasting. Ask me anything :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Why did you not use your main account?
Original post by Secretnerd123
Hey. I'm OP (this is my actual account)

Well, to answer your question, the whole point of fasting is

1. To prove our dedication to Allah and show we can do this for him.

2. To understand what it means to be poor

3. It also has many health benefits and teaches us to have more self control

During Ramadan we should also give more charity than usual

Cool.Us christians fast to draw near to God and deny ourselves of the worldly stuff and food etc.:smile:
Original post by Hijr
Why did you not use your main account?

It was banned lol
Thanks to whoever personal repped me
Original post by That_Hijabi
Because i believe it's the truth :smile:

What makes you believe it's the truth?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 85
Why do you fast? :smile:
Original post by Viniya
Why do you fast? :smile:

Read above posts. Many others asked the same question and i don't want to keep repeating myself :tongue:
Original post by SerLorasTyrell
What makes you believe it's the truth?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Beacause there's so much evidence that islam is the truth and I know in my heart it is. If it wasn't, I would've left a long time ago
Reply 88
If u could be a lemon with an emotion, what kind of emotional lemon would you be ? ;P
How are you going to celebrate Eid?
Original post by Bphil
If u could be a lemon with an emotion, what kind of emotional lemon would you be ? ;P

I'd be a happy lemon of course ;D

Original post by dreadpiraterach
How are you going to celebrate Eid?

Dunno. Probs with family as usual
Reply 91
Original post by hannahaf
I am Muslim and I'm also bored so I may as well attempt to answer. The whole concept of fasting isn't to starve ourselves. Its a religious cleanse in which us Muslims believe it cleanses our souls and makes us realise how great-full we really are for even the most smallest of things e.g water. Allah (swt- God) isn't a slaving us, those who suffer medical related issues musnt fast. Those who feel negative towards the fast shouldn't fast. Theres so many! It's not like we're forced to fast or that defeats the entire objective of being grate-full! (I have no idea if I'v answered anything I've just rambled on haha sorry chum!)

Well you did explain the whole choice thing which I didn't know existed in traditional fasting. (Like when it was first ever done)
Reply 92
Why is every Muslim country in a bad condition?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 93
Why did you decide to become Muslim and not a Teletubby?
Original post by That_Hijabi
No

Yeah but not many. I only have about 4 non-muslim friend/ (3 hindus and one christian). I had an atheist friend in college but we drifted apart and no longer in contact

I think i'm treated as an individual but it may just be the area i'm from. It's very multi cultural so nearly everyone is open minded

Why was it necessary for you to state their religions?
Hey. I'm OP (this is my actual account)

Well, to answer your question, the whole point of fasting is

1. To prove our dedication to Allah and show we can do this for him.

2. To understand what it means to be poor

3. It also has many health benefits and teaches us to have more self control

During Ramadan we should also give more charity than usual

1. Fair enough.

2. Why do so many Muslim binge at iftar time then, and end up eating much more than they would on a normal day.

3. Linked to the previous point. Binge eating fried food, which a lot of Muslims kind of negates the health benefits.
Original post by TSA
1. Fair enough.

2. Why do so many Muslim binge at iftar time then, and end up eating much more than they would on a normal day.

3. Linked to the previous point. Binge eating fried food, which a lot of Muslims kind of negates the health benefits.

2 and 3) well thats a very subjective question and a question you should ask individual muslims. In Islam, we're advised NOT to binge and there are many references where our prophet Muhammad (pbuh) used to break his fast with only milk and dates. Don't judge Islam by its followers :smile:
Original post by Kaneda
Why is every Muslim country in a bad condition?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not necesserily every muslim country. How about the gulf countries and KSA (saudi arabia) who seem to be doing really well for themselves and their country

Original post by A5ko
Why did you decide to become Muslim and not a Teletubby?

I'm a Muslim teletubby :wink:
do you feel bloated like me when you finally eat something? because that's how I feel :smile:
2 and 3) well thats a very subjective question and a question you should ask individual muslims. In Islam, we're advised NOT to binge and there are many references where our prophet Muhammad (pbuh) used to break his fast with only milk and dates. Don't judge Islam by its followers :smile:

And it's not a very subjective question, when so many do it, you can just look at the islam threads and ramadan threads on this forum and you will see many people parading about how much food they'll eat. In my experience literally every Muslim I've talked to have told me they binge eat, not directly but after description of their meal it's evident. I'm not asking about Islam I'm asking about Muslims. Why do they completely avoid the point of ramadan by doing this? What is the point of fasting if they're just going to have essentially the size of two meals in one at Iftar.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply