The Student Room Group

What universities do you 'look down upon'?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by That_Hijabi
Whats the University Of Life?

University of Life is actually a real university in Bloomsbury. Situated near UCL and SOAS!

Used to be "Fictitious Polytechnic" until 1976...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't give a toss in all honesty. Uni is uni and people work damn hard to get there.

Anyone who genuinely wastes time looking down on or smash talking unis, really need to reevaluate their lives and find something constructive to do with their time

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't understand why people look down on other people because they are less intelligent. At the end of the day, I'd rather be friends with someone who had a lovely personality but went to the worst uni in the country, than someone who acted like a complete arse, but went to the best.
Reply 63
Putting 'bad' and 'good' labels on universities is an extreme generalization. What's bad for you might not necessarily be bad for another person so we shouldn't look down upon universities of other people's choosing. I'm not the brightest student in the world, I doubt I'd ever get into Oxford or Cambridge etc but even if I could, I would stick with the university I've already applied for. It couldn't rival in looks maybe but it's just right for me and what I want to do in life :h:
Original post by K_o_46
I don't look down on specific universities. Only courses with grade requirements that are lower than ABB and are easy to get into (e.g. more than 40% of applicants get offers). Therefore, I look down on London met as a whole and none of Oxbridge (I got into medicine cambridge where 18% get offers A*AA)

Absent the brute snobbery, this is doubly pathetic by virtue of appearing egotistically compelled to cite Cambridge entry. There is individual and social value in tertiary education for many students achieving below ABB; what exactly is there to look down upon?
I agree that categorizing universities into the 'good' ones and 'rubbish' ones is dangerous, but was wondering what people's attitudes are towards University of Bristol in terms of 'good'/ 'bad'.
I used to think Warwick was a bad university after watching that Inbetweeners episode where Will was talking about how he didn't want to go there, but after having done some research on it i have come to realise that it is a prestigious university :colonhash:
Original post by James222
Anything outside
Oxbridge
LSE
Warrick
Kings

You put kings and warwick above imperial lol?
Original post by James222
no I went to an ex poly and hated it
Kings is the best in the UK for medicine and careers in foreign office

I dont look down on any of the universities that people have been to because i know that the importance of different peoples achievements are relative to their individual situations.

But when you say something as dumb as that....just lol
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 69
LSE, because they rejected me. Although this was before I found out what kind of institution they are so I don't care that much any more LOL.
Original post by daisychain_
I used to think Warwick was a bad university after watching that Inbetweeners episode where Will was talking about how he didn't want to go there, but after having done some research on it i have come to realise that it is a prestigious university :colonhash:

Yes and it is one of the very best for mathematics in the country
Original post by Dani California
Oxford, purely because it produces people like David Cameron. Effing bigots.

Dave would not appreciate such hateful comments towards him and his University.
Original post by EatAndRevise
Dave would not appreciate such hateful comments towards him and his University.

Oh yeah, our Dave...:rolleyes: I don't appreciate his existence.
Oh yeah, our Dave...:rolleyes: I don't appreciate his existence.

Well that is not very nice, he is a charming person and rather amusing, IMO.
Well that is not very nice, he is a charming person and rather amusing, IMO.

Amusing? Are you talking about his hair?:mmm:
Amusing? Are you talking about his hair?:mmm:

There is nothing wrong with his hair.....

david-cameron-220_1774555f.jpg
There is nothing wrong with his hair.....

david-cameron-220_1774555f.jpg

C'moooon.
Original post by That_Hijabi
Just wondering

Anywhere that isn't Oxbridge. As much as people at other unis like to think they 'work hard', unless you've been there and got the t shirt you'll never really understand what that phrase means.
Reply 78
Original post by daisychain_

I thought he said he didn't like Lincoln lol
Reply 79
Original post by jenkinsear
Anywhere that isn't Oxbridge. As much as people at other unis like to think they 'work hard', unless you've been there and got the t shirt you'll never really understand what that phrase means.

My degree isnt done at oxbridge(dentistry) yet my academic record would make me a fair candidate for oxbridge degrees.
Also, a degree in dentistry is arguably just as rigorous as oxbridge degrees.
Bit of a generalistaion

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending