The Student Room Group

What's your favourite accent?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stinkum
I do not consider Birmingham a part of the UK. When you're in Birmingham, you're in a wretched, horrible part of the world. The defining elements of British society are completely missing from this city. It's a rat infested bin. That's literally what it is, just one huge garbage bin. The motorists are absolutely bonkers. The chavs are extremely dangerous. A few years ago, a car drove onto the pavement of a road near where I live and painted the tarmac with the insides of a pedestrian who was caught completely off guard as the car flattened him...on the pavement. A brutal way to die for a young kid, it can only happen in a place like Birmingham. This is a true story.

So because living in Birmingham means you flatten children while you are driving.

Mate, troll somewhere else. :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Original post by Secretnerd123
Then hop on a train and get out of there instead of complaining!

I can't, I have important things to do here. This is my life now. :frown: I'm a Brummie.
Original post by Stinkum
Let me tell you something. I absolutely HATE HATE HATE your accent. It's EXTREMELY annoying, it's literally the most annoying thing I've ever heard. Absolutely horrible. What a terrible way to speak! Why do you ruin the English language with your terrible accent? That's what I really hate about Brummies, that annoying accent. Part of the reason why Birmingham is one of the worst cities in the UK, truly a horrible place to live in. I have to put up with this annoying stupid accent every single day, I ****ing hate it. It's doing my head in. The way it rolls off the tongue is extremely unpleasant. Such a horrible accent, yuck.

Bad news, I'm afraid, it's the most purely English accent: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blackcountry/content/articles/2006/11/29/black_country_dialect_academic_feature.shtml

OP-Welsh and N Irish are sexy if mild. Mine's pretty dull, middle class but Northern, so hard vowels in words like bath but unclear whether I'm from Liverpool, Hull or Nottingham.
(edited 9 years ago)
Can't edit my post but I added an accent :redface:

Favourite British accent is this

[video="youtube;0cIXz2fHmCY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cIXz2fHmCY[/video]

P.S. I don't watch this channel, that's the first vid I found.
Original post by missfats
So because living in Birmingham means you flatten children while you are driving.

Mate, troll somewhere else. :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be fair, that is what we do. All day every day, :troll:
And for guys, I find the Canadian accent hilarious

[video="youtube;F-glHAzXi_M"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-glHAzXi_M[/video]
Irish accents woaah
Reply 47
Original post by Stinkum
I do not consider Birmingham a part of the UK. When you're in Birmingham, you're in a wretched, horrible part of the world. The defining elements of British society are completely missing from this city. It's a rat infested bin. That's literally what it is, just one huge garbage bin. The motorists are absolutely bonkers. The chavs are extremely dangerous. A few years ago, a car drove onto the pavement of a road near where I live and painted the tarmac with the insides of a pedestrian who was caught completely off guard as the car flattened him...on the pavement. A brutal way to die for a young kid, it can only happen in a place like Birmingham. This is a true story.

No one's actually taking this guy seriously, right...?
Original post by Stinkum
All I'm saying is that people have been KILLED on roads that I walk along every week. One kid was flattened by a car, and THREE more people were run over by a car in another road near where I live, in a separate incident which occurred at the time of the London riots a couple of years back. That's FOUR dead people in 5 years, right in my neighbourhood. I've never witnessed death on this scale anywhere else. People are literally getting killed, one by one.

Dude, last week I was walking down the side of the forum and toward China Town, and had three near death experiences with drunks in twenty minutes. If you, or any one else, can't handle a city, don't live in one. Doubt it's your scene, but b-town music at places like the Institute and Custard Factory are incredible. Drinking opportunities are awesome, the people are far from stuck up, they know how to take care of theirselves, are I'd say there is more diversity than anywhere in the UK bar London. For me, the cons are far outweighed. Clearly you're just not cut out for living there-it requires you to have a backbone.
Reply 49
Original post by Dani California
Dude, last week I was walking down the side of the forum and toward China Town, and had three near death experiences with drunks in twenty minutes. If you, or any one else, can't handle a city, don't live in one. Doubt it's your scene, but b-town music at places like the Institute and Custard Factory are incredible. Drinking opportunities are awesome, the people are far from stuck up, they know how to take care of theirselves, are I'd say there is more diversity than anywhere in the UK bar London. For me, the cons are far outweighed. Clearly you're just not cut out for living there-it requires you to have a backbone.

Do you live in birmingham?
Original post by Stinkum
Do you live in birmingham?

Yep.
The Irish accent is lovely :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
Original post by Dani California
Yep.

okay. anyway, even though i've been here for a while, i never really ventured outside very much to be honest, never dared to. I've never felt comfortable here, there's always a constant threat and a feeling of impending doom. And the whole city is just very impersonal. People are so busy going about their lives.
Original post by Stinkum
okay. anyway, even though i've been here for a while, i never really ventured outside very much to be honest, never dared to. I've never felt comfortable here, there's always a constant threat and a feeling of impending doom. And the whole city is just very impersonal. People are so busy going about their lives.

Never ventured outside...what kind of hermit are you? All cities are busy.
Original post by Maharaniii
When Orients speaks English :biggrin:
I also love non Jamaicans who can pull off good yardy slang. Ok so Caribbean London accent :smile:

haha have to agree orients speaking english dayumm
caribbean one too
we oddly have similar taste
Original post by marinajelly
I like just standard London accents, the ones that sound proper without being posh because that's the accent I would like.
Being bilingual I somehow have the ability to easily change my accent without controlling it... when I'm around my friends it's brummie, around my mum it's russian and around my dad it's irish... it also changes based on the other accents people have when I'm talking to them.
So the accent I like is the one I really want to adjust to haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

lets hear your irish accent then kiddo
Original post by trustmeimlying1
haha have to agree orients speaking english dayumm
caribbean one too
we oddly have similar taste

why odd? :s-smilie:
Original post by Maharaniii
why odd? :s-smilie:

from any posts Ive seen of yeh in the main ive disagreed
but accents :biggrin:
Original post by trustmeimlying1
from any posts Ive seen of yeh in the main ive disagreed
but accents :biggrin:

Why didn't you say anything then if you disagree?

Quick Reply

Latest