The Student Room Group

My uni experience...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Again, I got offers from other universities. My grades are fine. The grades required at my uni are the same as the others. This has nothing to do with it.

I think what they're trying to say is if you were a better applicant, you could have gotten into a more prestigious university where the grade requirements for other courses are higher than BBB and the other students work harder.

In reply to your OP though, I'd say there's nothing you can do apart from renting a house with fellow medics in your second year. Or you could try doing all your work in the library?
Remember that thread a couple of weeks ago about medicine/denistry students thinking they are gods gift to the world?
Perfect example.
Original post by Mindless Behavior
I think what they're trying to say is if you were a better applicant, you could have gotten into a more prestigious university where the grade requirements for other courses are higher than BBB and the other students work harder.

In reply to your OP though, I'd say there's nothing you can do apart from renting a house with fellow medics in your second year. Or you could try doing all your work in the library?

The quality of medical students are pretty much the same across the board.
Its not the same as say, a law degree.
Original post by Productoflabour
I'm guessing you go to Brighton and Sussex, right? You chose it, you went there, if you can't deal with the fact that you have to defend your choice of university to people who will laugh at you because of it then you shouldn't have gone there. You're doing medicine for crying out loud! Get over it! It's a big workload, sure, but that doesn't entitle you to police their University experience. Why weren't you studying with friends or at the library? I'm just saying I've haven't met many successful Medics that don't study in groups or in silence. How could you hope to do any work in halls? It halls!

This is a fair point - im pretty lazy and I like my own room but yes, I should use the library more. I dont go to Brighton.
I dont have to defend my university to anybody lol. Anyone whos studying medicine or knows anything about medicine knows its irrelevant.
Plus those who laugh at it probably wouldn't even have the grades to get in.
Go to the library.

I'm sympathetic that you're finding it hard to study, but you sound pretty immature with labelling all this grade crap. Like the more As you get the less noisy you are?
My sisters flatmates study engineering and stuff like that which needs higher grades than my sisters course I think, yet she is the one always complaining how noisy they are. I really hope you don't spew this entitlement **** in public.
This is a fair point - im pretty lazy and I like my own room but yes, I should use the library more. I dont go to Brighton.
I dont have to defend my university to anybody lol. Anyone whos studying medicine or knows anything about medicine knows its irrelevant.

Okay so Hull York, St Bart's, Keele, Leicester, UEA, Plymouth or Swansea? They're the generally lower requirement Unis. Tbh, screw it. You're a med student, you can be an aloof breed anyway. This is from someone engaged to a medic, who parents and sister are medics, living in a house of medics barring one other person. I love y'all but som'y'all just need to chill.
The quality of medical students are pretty much the same across the board.
Its not the same as say, a law degree.

Yes but you're not complaining about Medical students. You're complaining about other students who have gotten in with BBB or less. If you were a better applicant, you could/should/would have gone to a better university where non medical students are still quite hardworking.
what uni is it?
Reply 48

I'm laughing at you lol. I got 5A*s at A level.
Reply 49
Yes but you're not complaining about Medical students. You're complaining about other students who have gotten in with BBB or less. If you were a better applicant, you could/should/would have gone to a better university where non medical students are still quite hardworking.

I don't think you understand what he's trying to say. All medical schools are very similar, if he was good enough for one, he's good enough for most of them. This is not a case of should have studied harder.

Just because the university is generally crap does not mean the medical school is. Equally, medical schools attached to universities with stellar reputations (for example Oxbridge) are not tangibly superior to other medical schools.
(edited 9 years ago)

Every medical course is as hard to get in as the other pretty much.
As ive said 100000x times, I got offers from the other unis - i prefer my course and Im not talking about my course.
Original post by ilem
I don't think you understand what he's trying to say. All medical schools are very similar, if he was good enough for one, he's good enough for most of them. This is not a case of should have studied harder.

Just because the university is generally crap does not mean the medical school is. Equally, medical schools attached to universities with stellar reputations (for example Oxbridge) are not tangibly superior to other medical schools.

I know that there is no such thing as a bad medical school. But if OP was good enough, he could have applied and gone to a med school attached to better university where he could be surrounded by people he feels are his equals.
Im studying medicine at university and I got A*A*AA in my a levels like other medical students. The problem is that my university isn't the same as others. At my university medicine and dentistry are AAA and require very high academic grades and are both very difficult courses. The rest of the courses at my uni are not at the same level. At all. The average entry requirements at my uni are around BBB-BBC with many getting much lower and their degrees are not as difficult as mine at all(this wouldn't be the case at other unis)
Now, unfortunately for me, my flat didn't have any medical or dental students so I cant really relate to people from the academic standpoint. E.G someone in my flat is studying maths with BBB and asks ME to help them with their work.
In exam time I got in a big argument with a few of them about the amount of noise they were making and stress and anger got the best of me and said a few things I regret. I had a HUGE number of exams and they had like 2 exams and finished almost two weeks before me. Its been a problem throughout the year since my course is a lot more demanding than theirs by all accounts.
Its not only me with this problem, almost every medical/dental student at my uni has the same problem and they also have no idea what to do about it.
Any advice?

You've discovered the reality that 95% of people are less intelligent, less hard working and by and large going to have far inferior prospects to you. Your choice is to tolerate them or surround yourself with others doing similar courses and with similar levels of ambition. Why do you think most people in professional jobs have friends in similar types of jobs?
Original post by ilem
i don't think you understand what he's trying to say. All medical schools are very similar, if he was good enough for one, he's good enough for most of them. This is not a case of should have studied harder.

Just because the university is generally crap does not mean the medical school is. Equally, medical schools attached to universities with stellar reputations (for example oxbridge) are not tangibly superior to other medical schools.

thank you
Original post by nohomo

Well done, but what has that got to do with anything i've said?
Reply 55
I know that there is no such thing as a bad medical school. But if OP was good enough, he could have applied and gone to a med school attached to better university where he could be surrounded by people he feels are his equals.

But the academic requirements for 'better' and 'worse' medical schools are identical. Oxbridge gives out the exact same (or very similar) offers as HYMS does, and his A*A*A is more than enough for every med school in the UK. Clearly he chose his university for personal reasons and not for its overall academic achievements. It's not something that takes priority when picking a medical school: the location, curriculum and impressions from open days take precendence, and rightfully so.
(edited 9 years ago)
OP the solution is simple. Live with other medical students who are in the same year as you and therefore have the same exam timetable as you (or roughly the same) or live by yourself (e.g. a studio flat).
Original post by nohomo

:lol: :laugh: :rofl:
Original post by jay2013
OP the solution is simple. Live with other medical students who are in the same year as you and therefore have the same exam timetable as you (or roughly the same) or live by yourself (e.g. a studio flat).

Yes thank you, I've been speaking to a number of my medic/dental friends about getting a house for next year today :smile:
Reply 59
Original post by jay2013
:lol: :laugh: :rofl:

Why you laugh? :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending