The Student Room Group

My uni experience...

Scroll to see replies

Should have gone to a better uni.. stop complaining.

Yes all medicine courses require similar grades but you should have chosen an overall more prestigious/better uni.
Original post by nohomo
Why you laugh? :frown:

Because in the work world nobody honestly cares what grades you got at A level :smug:
Reply 62
Original post by jay2013
Because in the work world nobody honestly cares what grades you got at A level :smug:

I know.

But the guy said something like "I doubt most of the people laughing at my university could even have got the grades to get into my degree", so I was just showing that I did get those grades and was laughing.
Original post by letsbehonest

Yes all medicine courses require similar grades but you should have chosen an overall more prestigious/better uni.

No, I shouldn't have gone to one of the more 'prestigious' universities. I prefer my course and its facilities a lot more.
Original post by nohomo
I know.

But the guy said something like "I doubt most of the people laughing at my university could even have got the grades to get into my degree", so I was just showing that I did get those grades and was laughing.

Do you know what most means?
Original post by Anonymous
No, I shouldn't have gone to one of the more 'prestigious' universities. I prefer my course and its facilities a lot more.

So you go to a crap uni but you don't want to be surrounded by dumb people..

Lololol

Whatever
Reply 66

Because more prestige equals better quality teaching, as we all know :smile:

edit: @ OP. You're being a crybaby. It's not the unis fault you can't find suitable friends now is it?
(edited 9 years ago)
Im studying medicine at university and I got A*A*AA in my a levels like other medical students. The problem is that my university isn't the same as others. At my university medicine and dentistry are AAA and require very high academic grades and are both very difficult courses. The rest of the courses at my uni are not at the same level. At all. The average entry requirements at my uni are around BBB-BBC with many getting much lower and their degrees are not as difficult as mine at all(this wouldn't be the case at other unis)
Now, unfortunately for me, my flat didn't have any medical or dental students so I cant really relate to people from the academic standpoint. E.G someone in my flat is studying maths with BBB and asks ME to help them with their work.
In exam time I got in a big argument with a few of them about the amount of noise they were making and stress and anger got the best of me and said a few things I regret. I had a HUGE number of exams and they had like 2 exams and finished almost two weeks before me. Its been a problem throughout the year since my course is a lot more demanding than theirs by all accounts.
Its not only me with this problem, almost every medical/dental student at my uni has the same problem and they also have no idea what to do about it.
Any advice?

Live with other medical students.
Grats on gaining your a* from mostly memorisation:rolleyes:
Original post by Joshale
Grats on gaining your a* from mostly memorisation:rolleyes:

Right, an A* in further maths is from memorisation. No application at all.
So you go to a crap uni but you don't want to be surrounded by dumb people..

Lololol

Whatever

I dont care about the rest of my uni, my course and the dentistry course is full of intelligent people - even people who are on other courses who may not have got as high grades are also just as intelligent.
Reply 71
Im studying medicine at university and I got A*A*AA in my a levels like other medical students. The problem is that my university isn't the same as others. At my university medicine and dentistry are AAA and require very high academic grades and are both very difficult courses. The rest of the courses at my uni are not at the same level. At all. The average entry requirements at my uni are around BBB-BBC with many getting much lower and their degrees are not as difficult as mine at all(this wouldn't be the case at other unis)
Now, unfortunately for me, my flat didn't have any medical or dental students so I cant really relate to people from the academic standpoint. E.G someone in my flat is studying maths with BBB and asks ME to help them with their work.
In exam time I got in a big argument with a few of them about the amount of noise they were making and stress and anger got the best of me and said a few things I regret. I had a HUGE number of exams and they had like 2 exams and finished almost two weeks before me. Its been a problem throughout the year since my course is a lot more demanding than theirs by all accounts.
Its not only me with this problem, almost every medical/dental student at my uni has the same problem and they also have no idea what to do about it.
Any advice?

OP I would firstly love to know where you go to uni?
I would recommend you consider the fact that doctors are expected to be able to relate, work with, and spend time with people from all walks of life, many far more different than the gap between A*A*AA and BBB! Perhaps you should apply that when making friends.
Also it is comments like yours which give medical dentistry students such a bad reputation! There is no need to look down on other people and be so rude. You've finished first year so can now live with more like minded people! I would have expected someone with your grades to be able to reach that conclusion quickly by yourself.
I agree I would be pretty angry if I had exams and my flat mates were being inconsiderate but that's to do with their manners not their academic ability. You get smart pricks just as much as thick ones if not more so!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 72
Original post by Mindless Behavior
I know that there is no such thing as a bad medical school. But if OP was good enough, he could have applied and gone to a med school attached to better university where he could be surrounded by people he feels are his equals.

That's not really how it works when you're applying to a course which is more competitive at every uni than basically any Oxbridge course! At 16 applicants per place and upward in many cases.
Also all.medical schools have very very different selection criteria many even use different entrance exams. Therefore you have to apply to schools who's application system best favours your profile and this is somewhat luck of the draw.
Course then becomes the next issue as they are taught in significantly different ways to one another so you must pick which you prefer.
And once you've done all of that you're probably left with a hand full of suitable unis and therefore don't have masses of choice. You only get 4 choices on ucas afterall.
If you want to be a doctor you suck eggs and take what you can get seeing as 65% of applicants won't get a single offer despite being predicted A*AA/AAA at the very least and almost all far higher.
Many of the better medical schools arent attached to the most prestigious unis! Eg oxford, cambridge, st andrews have significantly fewer or on par applicants to Sheffield, Leeds and even keele is a top school. I would not say keele is otherwise especially prestigious. Infact it's traditionally a clearance uni I believe!
The end goal is more important than the ride for most medics I've spoken to.
All that said rhe OP comes across as a self important idiot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by em.d_4
That's not really how it works when you're applying to a course which is more competitive at every uni than basically any Oxbridge course! At 16 applicants per place and upward in many cases.
Also all.medical schools have very very different selection criteria many even use different entrance exams. Therefore you have to apply to schools who's application system best favours your profile and this is somewhat luck of the draw.
Course then becomes the next issue as they are taught in significantly different ways to one another so you must pick which you prefer.
And once you've done all of that you're probably left with a hand full of suitable unis and therefore don't have masses of choice. You only get 4 choices on ucas afterall.
If you want to be a doctor you suck eggs and take what you can get seeing as 65% of applicants won't get a single offer despite being predicted A*AA/AAA at the very least and almost all far higher.
Many of the better medical schools arent attached to the most prestigious unis! Eg oxford, cambridge, st andrews have significantly fewer or on par applicants to Sheffield, Leeds and even keele is a top school. I would not say keele is otherwise especially prestigious. Infact it's traditionally a clearance uni I believe!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im really not, but thanks for clearing up my point about the way medicine/dentistry schools are.
If I was a 'self important idiot' would you not think I would have taken up offers at the more 'prestigious' universities?
Right, an A* in further maths is from memorisation. No application at all.

Yes, of course it is.
Reply 75
Im really not, but thanks for clearing up my point about the way medicine/dentistry schools are.
If I was a 'self important idiot' would you not think I would have taken up offers at the more 'prestigious' universities?

Perhaps you took up the less prestigious offer so you could be "cleverer" than your peers and they'd respect you, then it backfired :tongue:
Reply 76

Welcome. But no because I genuinely believe that course is the most important thing for most medics and other factors always take a back seat and perhaps only become an issue/consideration later eg when you're there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nohomo
Perhaps you took up the less prestigious offer so you could be "cleverer" than your peers and they'd respect you, then it backfired :tongue:

Im not smarter than my peers, Im middle of the pact at my medical school. As I've said before, my decision was purely upon the course structure, location and facilities of the Uni.
If the uni I went to made an ounce of difference in terms of my future in medicine then I wouldn't have gone there - but it doesn't.
Original post by em.d_4

Posted from TSR Mobile

I completely understand. I have a lot of friends who are applying for/have gotten into medicine and they constantly talk(ed) about this. And I'm helping my friend figure out which UKCAT unis which use PBL she should apply to based on her grades/ECs etc. I know that all medical schools are good and when applying, you just focus on your strengths/preferences. But seeing as being surrounded by inferior students is stressing OP out so much, he should have used his exceptional grades to go to medical school attached to a better uni. I'm sure there's at least one uni which is more prestigious that OP would have liked.
Im not smarter than my peers, Im middle of the pact at my medical school. As I've said before, my decision was purely upon the course structure, location and facilities of the Uni.
If the uni I went to made an ounce of difference in terms of my future in medicine then I wouldn't have gone there - but it doesn't.

Just don't let all the stress you're under as a result of choosing a less prestigious uni affect your grades

Quick Reply

Latest