Probably stronger than me

Posted from TSR Mobile
3/7/13

Absolute piss-about session cos I'm going on holiday on Saturday

Dumbbell Flat Bench - 30kg (5,5,6) good for 5x5 on this I reckon
Squats - 32.5kg (1x40) lol
Dumbbell rows - 25kg (8,8)
Deadlifts - 82.5kg (1x10)

30kg dumbbell press for reps = good for 75kg x 1 with barbell?

75kg is my bodyweight...do I have an opinion? Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reps4Jesus
3/7/13

Absolute piss-about session cos I'm going on holiday on Saturday

Dumbbell Flat Bench - 30kg (5,5,6) good for 5x5 on this I reckon
Squats - 32.5kg (1x40) lol
Dumbbell rows - 25kg (8,8)
Deadlifts - 82.5kg (1x10)

30kg dumbbell press for reps = good for 75kg x 1 with barbell?

75kg is my bodyweight...do I have an opinion? Lol

You should have that easy. But no opinion until you have done it :tongue:

Technically I've not benched my BW yet either :biggrin:
Lol won't have an opinion til I start uni and use the gym there then :frown:((

Neither you have haha, you seem intelligent enough on fitness matters to have an opinion I suppose :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol won't have an opinion til I start uni and use the gym there then :frown:((

Neither you have haha, you seem intelligent enough on fitness matters to have an opinion I suppose :P

I have a lot of spare time atm, so I read around it. I'm the sort of guy who gets really into things and do my research.

I'm sure I could bench my BW for 1 but don't see the point in messing up my progression just to get a 1RM.
It's weird (and very rewarding) being able to throw about weights that you previously found extremely challenging...

Tried 25kg dumbbells on flat bench 2 months ago and couldn't even get a rep..

Did 13 reps with them last week lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's weird (and very rewarding) being able to throw about weights that you previously found extremely challenging...

Tried 25kg dumbbells on flat bench 2 months ago and couldn't even get a rep..

Did 13 reps with them last week lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Know that feel. A few weeks ago I was DB pressing 24 for sets of 5. Today I managed 3x5 on the 28s :biggrin:

<3 dem noob gains
Original post by illusionz
Know that feel. A few weeks ago I was DB pressing 24 for sets of 5. Today I managed 3x5 on the 28s :biggrin:

<3 dem noob gains

That is unbelievable pressing gains... i need to work up to 4 sets of 8 reps of particular dumbbell weights before I can do 5x5 of the next weight up

Posted from TSR Mobile
*for the dumbbell shoulder press...dumbbell flat bench is easier to progress for me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Loving the progress, keep at it

Need a job so I can re-fund the gym and bulk the **** up with protein
That is unbelievable pressing gains... i need to work up to 4 sets of 8 reps of particular dumbbell weights before I can do 5x5 of the next weight up

Once I have 5x5 I try the next weight up. I'll probably only manage 1 or 2 sets of 5 with them at the first attempt, then drop down to the previous weight to complete 5 working sets.

Working up to 4x8 takes too long when you can just try and progress quicker.

eg
A few workouts ago I was like 26 2x5, 24 3x5
Then got 26 5x5
then 28 1x5, 1x4+f, 26 4x5
Then today 28 3x5, 4+f, 26x5

I think you're better off trying to up the weight and only managing a set or two than increasing the volume massively before trying. Perhaps do one session where you try and get 6 reps out after the 5x5 but no more. You're just making it take longer.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Joshale
Loving the progress, keep at it

Need a job so I can re-fund the gym and bulk the **** up with protein

Thanks man :smile: slow but steady

Posted from TSR Mobile
Once I have 5x5 I try the next weight up. I'll probably only manage 1 or 2 sets of 5 with them at the first attempt, then drop down to the previous weight to complete 5 working sets.

eg
Then got 26 5x5

I think you're better off trying to up the weight and only managing a set or two than increasing the volume massively before trying. Perhaps do one session where you try and get 6 reps out after the 5x5 but no more. You're just making it take longer.

Good idea...I shall try that...onto the 22.5kg dumbbells next time then lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good idea...I shall try that...onto the 22.5kg dumbbells next time then lol

Good lad. You'll probably get a set or two out no problems.
Good lad. You'll probably get a set or two out no problems.

Got 20kg for 4 sets of 7 reps last time so 22.5kg should be fine for 5x5 BUT I'm away on holiday for two weeks on Saturday so gains = lost lol

Back to where I started then (8kg dumbbells) :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got bodyweight bench for reps fast. After that my progress slowed. From 75 to 95 has taken me ages in comparison. Enjoy the newb games...unless you are happy to add blubber, squats and bench progress slowly.

Actually I've been lifting 2 years but spent about 9 months not barbell benching (because it was progressing too fast relatively) so come at me bro :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by silent ninja
I got bodyweight bench for reps fast. After that my progress slowed. From 75 to 95 has taken me ages in comparison. Enjoy the newb games...unless you are happy to add blubber, squats and bench progress slowly.

Actually I've been lifting 2 years but spent about 9 months not barbell benching (because it was progressing too fast relatively) so come at me bro :tongue:

Not bothered about adding a wee bit of blubber..just as long as I don't look fat with clothes on haha

Plan on bulking until February/May 2015 then eating 200/300 under maintenance for a few months

Posted from TSR Mobile

eg
Then got 26 5x5

I like how I advised someone this this ages ago (I think it was you but my memory fails me) and now you're advising it

Coach cucumber strikes again :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Angry cucumber
I like how I advised someone this this ages ago (I think it was you but my memory fails me) and now you're advising it

Coach cucumber strikes again :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think it was me. I've been doing it since day 1 when I was pressing like 30kg and couldn't move up to the 35kg barbell (we have light set weight ones) for 5x5 so alternated sets between the two until I could do 5x5 with 35. Then same again with the 40.

It just seemed logical to me. Can't do 5x5 but do as much as you can.

Quick Reply

Latest