The Student Room Group

Invited to a Party, but Don't really know anyone there.

Hi guys,
I am invited to acquaintances birthday party. Looking at the invite list on fb, I've seen that most of the people going are people I know about and have never spoken to or are acquaintances and not friends. I am considering if I should go or not because I am not the most confident and social person and am worried that I will be a loner standing alone there as I would be too shy to interact with others.
But I am trying to push myself and so will try to go.

So I was looking for some advice about how to act and be less socially awkward.

Thanks! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump =)
Reply 2
Just go to it. I've been to a party where I only knew the person hosting it, and I chatted to so many different people and had a lot of fun (better than parties where I knew people tbh) so give it a shot.
Reply 3
Original post by Joshale
Just go to it. I've been to a party where I only knew the person hosting it, and I chatted to so many different people and had a lot of fun (better than parties where I knew people tbh) so give it a shot.

The thing I am most worried about I starting up conversations? Do I just walk up to people or...?
What do you suggest?

If you only ever spoke to people you knew, you wouldnt know anybody. Consult confidence advice with Captain Morgan or Mr J. Daniels. Both on them have given me so much more confidence than I wouldve had otherwise, I attribute my first time pass in driving to the confidence and courage that they provided
They are better than going to parties with people you know because you get to meet new people.

What I do is come a little early, then as people come just say hiiiiiiiii and start talking to them lol, then when their friends arrive they will intro you to their friends.. if they don't, introduce yourself ^_^

Just don't cling onto people, it's ok to be alone for a few mins here and there
This may not entirely be relevant but how are parties enjoyable? Stuck in a house with people you barely know does not sound like an enjoyable experience to me.
Reply 7
Original post by ΘTheta
The thing I am most worried about I starting up conversations? Do I just walk up to people or...?
What do you suggest?

I first spoked to some guy who was going to the party when we were waiting for someone to take us to the house (didn't know where it was) and when we got there I spoked to my mate and then gradually spoked to others through being drunk, and some people coming up to me and that

just go, it'll be fun
Reply 8
Stay inside. It's safer :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by nohomo
Stay inside. It's safer :smile:

Pardon? What do you mean? Stay inside where?:confused:
Reply 10
Original post by ΘTheta
Pardon? What do you mean? Stay inside where?:confused:

Wherever you are now :smile:
Tbh, if I didn't really know anyone well, I wouldn't go.

If you do go, drinking alcohol will probably help. :p:
Reply 12
Original post by letsbehonest
They are better than going to parties with people you know because you get to meet new people.

What I do is come a little early, then as people come just say hiiiiiiiii and start talking to them lol, then when their friends arrive they will intro you to their friends.. if they don't, introduce yourself ^_^

Just don't cling onto people, it's ok to be alone for a few mins here and there

Most of the people there are acquaintances and people I've seen around. Will this apply to this situation too?
Thanks! :biggrin:
Original post by ΘTheta
Bump =)

everyone at parties tend to be in a really happy mood (especially if they're drunk) so it's a lot easier to introduce yourself without it being awkward // or you could ask your friends to take you around and introduce you to everyone at the beginning so people will be more likely to approach you throughout maybe?
Original post by EatAndRevise
This may not entirely be relevant but how are parties enjoyable? Stuck in a house with people you barely know does not sound like an enjoyable experience to me.

OP they are the best kinds , be confident , engage in small talk , drink copious amounts of alcohol and make new friends.

:confused:

What ? I suppose your not the type of person who likes enjoying good music and sharing good vibes with people , that's essentially what a party is . How is that not enjoyable ? Letting go of your stresses and loosing yourself in a gathering of good willed friends or new people you can get to know ; that is what I live for.

What do you do for fun ?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ΘTheta
Most of the people there are acquaintances and people I've seen around. Will this apply to this situation too?
Thanks! :biggrin:

Then this is your opportunity to solidify those relationships and make friends , have fun !
Original post by Jaegon Targaryen
OP they are the best kinds , be confident , engage in small talk , drink copious amounts of alcohol and make new friends.

:confused:

What ? I suppose your not the type of person who likes enjoying good music and sharing good vibes with people , that's essentially what a party is . How is that not enjoyable ? Letting go of your stresses and loosing yourself in a gathering of good willed friends or new people you can get to know ; that is what I live for.

What do you do for fun ?

I just do not understand how listening to loud, crappy music whilst standing around drunk people being loud is enjoyable. I play sport, listen to good music, go out with friends and watch films/tv programmes.
Original post by ΘTheta
What do you suggest?

Do you have a talent, like magic or something that's pretty interactive? If not, one of my tricks is to half-learn a simple but impressive magic trick (google 'disappearing cigarette') and then use that as my 'thing'. I know it's not easy being self conscious and socially shy at these kind of events, so having a trick like that is a cool icebreaker, especially if you don't always get it right because then you seem more funny and sociable than a show-off, though if you do get it right you can normally just make jokes about how it's one of very few tricks you can do or something!

Also, who ever answers 'no' to 'wanna see a magic trick?' at a party? 'Cept maybe Batman...
I just do not understand how listening to loud, crappy music whilst standing around drunk people being loud is enjoyable. I play sport, listen to good music, go out with friends and watch films/tv programmes.

Thats the thing though , if your throwing the party yourself or are friends with the person throwing it , its likely the music will be to your taste . Posh people have parties , poor people have parties , hipsters have parties etc Its something seen to be universally wholesome and enjoyable for everyone alike .

I suppose some people find it fun to get drunk (my self included) , although there is always the one who takes it too far and collapses etc most people can handle their drink , alcohol helps put everyone in a good mood and acts as a social bridge.

I do most of that stuff to but variety is the spice so dont see anything wrong with going to a party every now and then .

Good luck , hopefully when you get invited to one you will change your views.

And mate, music is subjective, so it genuinely is down to the listener as to what constitutes 'good'. Case in point: I like One Direction. I like the way they look, the way they sound... I've never met them, but I'm certain I'd like the way they smell!

I don't think I'd like how you smell. You sound like you'd smell miserable!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending