The Student Room Group

Should I re-do my A-levels?

Hello! My name is Hannah, and I am not sure if i should re-do my A-levels. I'm currently doing law, psychology, ict, and general studies. I'm thinking about doing either speech and language therapy or occupational therapy in uni but i need to know the easiest way to get there! Can I do a Btec Extended Diploma?! Help me fellow earthlings!!
Original post by hannahaf
Hello! My name is Hannah, and I am not sure if i should re-do my A-levels. I'm currently doing law, psychology, ict, and general studies. I'm thinking about doing either speech and language therapy or occupational therapy in uni but i need to know the easiest way to get there! Can I do a Btec Extended Diploma?! Help me fellow earthlings!!

Hi. It is completely up to you. Really it doesn't matter what subjects you do as it is more about experience. Try to get some experience shadowing a speech and language therapist or occupational therapist. You can do this by volunteering in hospitals or going into special needs schools. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by sophieleannexo
Hi. It is completely up to you. Really it doesn't matter what subjects you do as it is more about experience. Try to get some experience shadowing a speech and language therapist or occupational therapist. You can do this by volunteering in hospitals or going into special needs schools. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, its just so hard to decide! What are you currently doing?
Thanks, its just so hard to decide! What are you currently doing?

I've done both my A Levels and a BTEC Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care. I'm going to do Social Work in September at university. I considered both of those careers (occupational therapy and speech and language therapy) before I decided on Social Work. I got experience working with a GP and work experience in a special needs school where I shadowed speech therapists. Both are great careers! I would recommend the health and social care extended diploma as you can gain experience through placements and volunteering through the course as it is compulsory that you do that! It really is up to you. What subjects would you do if you re did your a levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
What are your grades? I really need to know that to make a suggestion
Reply 5
I've done both my A Levels and a BTEC Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care. I'm going to do Social Work in September at university. I considered both of those careers (occupational therapy and speech and language therapy) before I decided on Social Work. I got experience working with a GP and work experience in a special needs school where I shadowed speech therapists. Both are great careers! I would recommend the health and social care extended diploma as you can gain experience through placements and volunteering through the course as it is compulsory that you do that! It really is up to you. What subjects would you do if you re did your a levels? Posted from TSR Mobile

Psychology, sociology, law, ict, something like that! im just trying to find out as much info as possible, what info do you know about speech and language therapy and occupational therapy?
Reply 6
Original post by Dan.dont
What are your grades? I really need to know that to make a suggestion

Well because of medical reasons I didnt complete my full year this year, so this year has been written off for me!
Reply 7
Well because of medical reasons I didnt complete my full year this year, so this year has been written off for me!

Oh ok I suppose you need to think how did you find your A levels before all the medical stuff. If you where really struggling then do a btec. But if you do your a levels again I suppose you're at an advantage as you know what your going to learn already you've already got that idea. Another factor that can help make your decisions is your GCSE results if they were good then I'd suggest A levels.

However, I've heard of loads of people REALLY struggling in A levels and doing great in a btec :smile: I probably didnt answer your question haha but I'm just weighing out your options

Oh and I hope everything is ok for you medically wise and that you make the right decision for a great future :smile:
Psychology, sociology, law, ict, something like that! im just trying to find out as much info as possible, what info do you know about speech and language therapy and occupational therapy?

If that's the case I'd go and do the BTEC. And look on Google. :smile: I know lots.

The NHS careers website is great for looking at both these careers as is a website called Prospects and the National Careers Website. If you type one of the careers into Google there will be a host of information. What exactly do you want to know about the careers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Dan.dont
Oh ok I suppose you need to think how did you find your A levels before all the medical stuff. If you where really struggling then do a btec. But if you do your a levels again I suppose you're at an advantage as you know what your going to learn already you've already got that idea. Another factor that can help make your decisions is your GCSE results if they were good then I'd suggest A levels.

However, I've heard of loads of people REALLY struggling in A levels and doing great in a btec :smile: I probably didnt answer your question haha but I'm just weighing out your options

Oh and I hope everything is ok for you medically wise and that you make the right decision for a great future :smile:

Thank you so much! I really appreciate help!
Reply 11
The NHS careers website is great for looking at both these careers as is a website called Prospects and the National Careers Website. If you type one of the careers into Google there will be a host of information. What exactly do you want to know about the careers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh goody! I shall look into these, I just wanted to expand my knowledge a little more in these professions. Thanks!
oh goody! I shall look into these, I just wanted to expand my knowledge a little more in these professions. Thanks!

No problem.

Quick Reply

Latest