The Student Room Group

Britain - what do you love about it?

I truly believe I live in the most beautiful country in the world. I don't care if other places have more beautiful scenery, or if they have flashier buildings. For me, Britain is home. Can honestly say that having traveled to every continent in the world, there is no place like home.

I love all the little composite parts of British culture. The literature. the dark and even humble sense of humour, we can have a good laugh at ourselves. Football (the real football). Rugby. Music. Our countryside. I love how we all abide by the religion of the queue.

And the people, yes, I find we have many of the most progressive, open minded and creative people in the world. I don't care if other countries may hate us or look down on our people, or look down on our idea of a multicultural and multiethnic society. You will find that far from our image of being imperialist tyrants, in modern day Britain the majority of our citizens including our minorities feel proud to be Brits and feel appreciated as Britons. Unlike other countries I feel that Britain, because of its experiences around the world in Empire, has matured in a mental sense in regards to other cultures and ethnicities. We are not stuck with 18th century beliefs like many countries. We do not feel the need to put the right to bear arms (guns guns guns) as part of our constitution. We do not still to this day throw deep seated racial stereotypes around about minorities in everyday mainstream society. We see them as people, not stereotypes.

In short, I bloody love this country. Nowhere like it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What I like about it is that, in a minute, someone will come along here and argue against every single one of your points, saying that Britain is in fact the opposite of everything you've just said.
Original post by Drewski
What I like about it is that, in a minute, someone will come along here and argue against every single one of your points, saying that Britain is in fact the opposite of everything you've just said.

and thats a bad thing
Reply 3
Original post by Drewski

The grass is always greener on the other side ha. :rolleyes:
Nothing.
I love that we're an island; no matter where you live you're never too far from the sea.

I love the countryside, and how green our landscapes are.

I even love our weather! I'd get bored if it was the same all the time.

I REALLY love the NHS. It's not perfect, but we're incredibly lucky to have free healthcare at such a high standard.

The range of accents is fantastic.

The music, the comedy, the multiculturalism, the chippy teas :smile:
How good we are at sport (srs)
I love London, the sense of humour and the tolerance.

I loathe the food and the weather.
The music. Everything else is kinda... meh.
Humour
reservedness (almost definitely not a word)
culture - books, sporting events (i.e. Wimbledon), the BBC
I really like central London, its nice to just walk around looking at all the nice buildings. I also like the mix of girls that you get in London in terms of ethnicity etc, but I don't really like when areas have their whole culture replaced by a culture from abroad. Anyways back to what I like, I like the transport system, the amount of stuff available to do and the prestige of living in a city like London. Yeah I love London.

South-west is nice, scots are very cool, welsh are meh, northen irish have ****ty accents, midlands doensn't exist, northerners are ok but tend to be really uncouth, like gravy on chips what even is that, also their weather sucks compared to the south.
Reply 11
Original post by manchesterunited15
How good we are at sport (srs)

And we know how to throw an opening ceremony. Best part of an olympic opening ceremony ​ever imo, always brings me to tears. Underworld ftw :colone:. :

I like how liberal it is.
Original post by C.Almasy
And we know how to throw an opening ceremony. Best part of an olympic opening ceremony ​ever imo, always brings me to tears. Underworld ftw :colone:. :

]commentators voice was **** hated it

also it had a political bias, who the **** where the 'daughters' of the suffragettes, modern feminists are nothing like them
Reply 14
Original post by Pussy Galore
]commentators voice was **** hated it

also it had a political bias, who the **** where the 'daughters' of the suffragettes, modern feminists are nothing like them

Yeah, really liked the poppies bit though and the moment of silence. Very classy human touch. Very well placed.
Original post by C.Almasy
Yeah, really liked the poppies bit though and the moment of silence. Very classy human touch. Very well placed.

boring i wanted guns and that going off maybe kill a few sheep or deer or some **** let the blood flow you know what i mean. I want to see roman gladiator fights with limbs hacked off, just get my blood pumping I WANT A SPECTACLE not some boring ass dancing and singing, people had it right back in 200 AD, we've lost it mate.
Not much, to be honest. We have decent occupational mobility maybe.
Tolerance, how we have decent opening hours compared to alot of places in Europe, music, literature, nightlife, how we're all pretty distant from each other but then something will come around like the Olympics and we create a little community,we have more opportunities than alot of other places...

Maybe because I have lived abroad and seen the other side of the coin but I do actually love living here.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Not much, to be honest. We have decent occupational mobility maybe.

lol abdul come on how can u not like it, maybe being a muslim i guess you can feel targeted, which I understand but you cant deny that you wouldn't wanna be living in some village in africa spending 2 hours a day getting water each day
Reply 19
The countryside, living in the countryside. How friendly and tolerant people can be. I love that we actually get four seasons, rather than year long sun or whatever else.

That all said, I do hate how nobody is ever willing to stand up for things that they believe in and let the political elite do whatever they want and take advantage of the public, no matter how ridiculous it is because we're supposed to be reserved and polite. Not really a fan of people who live in cities either.

I also love how generally boring the north is. Nothing ever really happens, good or bad. It's just nice, save for the occasional shocker, but they're nearly always isolated incidents and don't give much worry. I'd hate for things to become more like the south, as much as I like travelling down there for a bit of a change of pace.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest