The Student Room Group

Civil Engineering??

I will be starting a Beng Civil Engineering degree in september. The problem is, i did not do A-Level maths and I am very afraid that I will really struggle taking the maths in. Is there any advice anyone can give me? and how did you find the course?
Reply 1
Original post by Brigante123
I will be starting a Beng Civil Engineering degree in september. The problem is, i did not do A-Level maths and I am very afraid that I will really struggle taking the maths in. Is there any advice anyone can give me? and how did you find the course?

What is your situation? From what you've described I am assuming you have completed an engineering foundation year since you did not have A-level Maths? If that is the case then as long you made the requirements then you'll be fine, just keep up with the work and don't fall behind! Nothing to worry about :smile:
Reply 2
meh like the first 6 months of maths was just repeating what I had already done at A level. And quite a lot afterwards too with little bits added on.
Reply 3
Original post by a10
What is your situation? From what you've described I am assuming you have completed an engineering foundation year since you did not have A-level Maths? If that is the case then as long you made the requirements then you'll be fine, just keep up with the work and don't fall behind! Nothing to worry about :smile:

I am gonna be a first year student in september. I have not done a foundation year. The uni let me onto the actual BEng course even though I didn't do A-Level Maths, so I will just be doing 3years or 4 with a year in industry.
Reply 4
I am gonna be a first year student in september. I have not done a foundation year. The uni let me onto the actual BEng course even though I didn't do A-Level Maths, so I will just be doing 3years or 4 with a year in industry.

If they let you on to the course knowing you didn't have the A-Level then unless they screwed something up you won't need A-Level maths
Reply 5
Original post by AdamCee
If they let you on to the course knowing you didn't have the A-Level then unless they screwed something up you won't need A-Level maths

I think I got a place due to numbers that applied for the course or someother reason. But the course will involve a lot of math.

Hey dude, I am also attending ljmu and I am also going to study civil engineering, I don't have an a level in maths so we'll be in the same boat. Howeve I done a Btec in civil engineering so hopefully I may know a fair bit already fingers crossed! I did do maths and further maths but I really really struggled, however the teacher was great and talked me through it and I was sound. What uni digs you in man?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7

hmm it's a bit strange, but i'm assuming they must have seen some competency in maths and hence allowed you onto the course so i guess you'll be fine, I would recommend getting "K.A Stroud Engineering Mathematics 6th Edition" :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Scottmac10
Hey dude, I am also attending ljmu and I am also going to study civil engineering, I don't have an a level in maths so we'll be in the same boat. Howeve I done a Btec in civil engineering so hopefully I may know a fair bit already fingers crossed! I did do maths and further maths but I really really struggled, however the teacher was great and talked me through it and I was sound. What uni digs you in man?

Finally met someone in the same situation as me. I'll be attending the University of Salford to study the course. How about you?
Reply 9
Original post by a10
hmm it's a bit strange, but i'm assuming they must have seen some competency in maths and hence allowed you onto the course so i guess you'll be fine, I would recommend getting "K.A Stroud Engineering Mathematics 6th Edition" :smile:

I studied BTEC Triple Science at sixth form and one of the 18 units we did involved maths. I think this is the reason I got a place.
Finally met someone in the same situation as me. I'll be attending the University of Salford to study the course. How about you?

Can only give it your best dude, just pester the hell out of your tutors, they will probably get sick of you but hey! Have they put you onto a foundation? When I applied at Salford they wanted me to go onto the foundation but I didn't fancy it haha so I chose john moores
Can only give it your best dude, just pester the hell out of your tutors, they will probably get sick of you but hey! Have they put you onto a foundation? When I applied at Salford they wanted me to go onto the foundation but I didn't fancy it haha so I chose john moores

Haha oh I will pester them and I applied for both the BEng and the foundation and In got accepted onto both so I thought I'd just do the BEng. Are you a current civil student?
Haha oh I will pester them and I applied for both the BEng and the foundation and In got accepted onto both so I thought I'd just do the BEng. Are you a current civil student?

Ah right that's cool, I done a 2 year civil engineering course in college but start my degree in September
Ah right that's cool, I done a 2 year civil engineering course in college but start my degree in September

Oh, good luck pal! What uni are you going to?

Quick Reply

Latest