The Student Room Group

Britain - what do you love about it?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pussy Galore
lol abdul come on how can u not like it, maybe being a muslim i guess you can feel targeted, which I understand but you cant deny that you wouldn't wanna be living in some village in africa spending 2 hours a day getting water each day

:lol: In fact, my mum owns a very nice house in Zanzibar with a fully functioning water supply. I find Britain to be very dull, in all honesty. It's a good place to pursue a career, although I much prefer cities like Dubai which are up and coming.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
:lol: In fact, my mum owns a very nice house in Zanzibar with a fully functioning water supply. I find Britain to be very dull, in all honesty. It's a good place to pursue a career, although I much prefer cities like Dubai which are up and coming.

ok yeah dubai is nice, lucky you have a rich family, what is zanzibar like is it stable
Original post by tillytots
Tolerance, how we have decent opening hours compared to alot of places in Europe, music, literature, nightlife, how we're all pretty distant from each other but then something will come around like the Olympics and we create a little community,we have more opportunities than alot of other places...

Maybe because I have lived abroad and seen the other side of the coin but I do actually love living here.

While I loath the UK on the whole, however, I agree with this. I was in Zurich not too long ago and the stores open at 10AM, and it Stockholm sometimes not until 11AM, and close at 4PM/5PM. The reason is that there's not much demand by the population for commodities as there is in the UK because we are apart of such a large population of 'plain spoken man in the street' bigoted losers.

I would say that the UK education system isn't as rigorous as other countries, and by that I don't mean harder, I mean there is more opportunity and chance to study a wide range of qualifications.
(edited 9 years ago)
ok yeah dubai is nice, lucky you have a rich family, what is zanzibar like is it stable

I wish I had a rich family :lol: *CrawfordRolex dreams*. The cost of living in Zanzibar is just much cheaper - £100k will get you a mansion, essentially. It's like any other part of Africa, you have your nice built up rich areas (with universities/schools/hospitals) and then your slum type areas where it's not so pleasant. I was born there so I'm just used to the whole shazzam (believe my last holiday there I was walking around in the city centre barefoot) :lol:.
I wish I had a rich family :lol: *CrawfordRolex dreams*. The cost of living in Zanzibar is just much cheaper - £100k will get you a mansion, essentially. It's like any other part of Africa, you have your nice built up rich areas (with universities/schools/hospitals) and then your slum type areas where it's not so pleasant. I was born there so I'm just used to the whole shazzam (believe my last holiday there I was walking around in the city centre barefoot) :lol:.

lol your some tribal raff

Yes but that mansion will have iron bars on all its windows to prevent burglaries. Just look at the newly built modern houses in South Africa which look like small prisons.
Reply 26
Original post by Tabris
The countryside, living in the countryside. How friendly and tolerant people can be. I love that we actually get four seasons, rather than year long sun or whatever else.

That all said, I do hate how nobody is ever willing to stand up for things that they believe in and let the political elite do whatever they want and take advantage of the public, no matter how ridiculous it is because we're supposed to be reserved and polite. Not really a fan of people who live in cities either.

I also love how generally boring the north is. Nothing ever really happens, good or bad. It's just nice, save for the occasional shocker, but they're nearly always isolated incidents and don't give much worry. I'd hate for things to become more like the south, as much as I like travelling down there for a bit of a change of pace.

Haha so true! I am Durham born and bred, went to Newcastle Uni. Never want to leave this place. I went down south to London for work for a while but it was a bit too hectic for my liking.
lol your some tribal raff

Admittedly, that natural (carefree) feel to it is incredibly satisfying. I remember seeing British tourists and when I spoke English they were like wtf :lol:. They tried to offer me balloons when I was at the beach.

Original post by Friendly Liberal
Yes but that mansion will have iron bars on all its windows to prevent burglaries. Just look at the newly built modern houses in South Africa which look like small prisons.

Quite true. We (like many other similar houses) have a permiter with a security wall around it (I'm not sure what these are called). Currently we all live in the UK, so we have a gaurd (so to speak) who manages/takes care of the house.
Original post by Friendly Liberal
While I loath the UK on the whole, however, I agree with this. I was in Zurich not too long ago and the stores open at 10AM, and it Stockholm sometimes not until 11AM, and close at 4PM/5PM. The reason is that there's not much demand by the population for commodities as there is in the UK because we are apart of such a large population of 'plain spoken man in the street' bigoted losers.

I've just come back from living in Paris for the year and it frustrated me how such a big city which is one of the most visited places on earth could still have everything shut on Sundays, early closing hours and huge gaps of nothingness during the lunch period. I agree that it's because in the UK we demand things to be open, I don't think it's because we have a 'plain spoken man mentality' though, we're just a lot more accepting of peoples needs rather than abiding by silly 200 year old traditions.
Original post by tillytots
I've just come back from living in Paris for the year and it frustrated me how such a big city which is one of the most visited places on earth could still have everything shut on Sundays, early closing hours and huge gaps of nothingness during the lunch period. I agree that it's because in the UK we demand things to be open, I don't think it's because we have a 'plain spoken man mentality' though, we're just a lot more accepting of peoples needs rather than abiding by silly 200 year old traditions.

I'm not convinced shop opening times is due to tradition anymore. I think it's more likely to do with supply/demand. An economist probably worked out which opening hours are more profitable based on loads of variables.
I love the fact that Britain is a proud and fair/pleasant land, full of culture, tradition and history which has affected (positively) the traditions and mannerisms of other countries. I also love the fact that we are the centrepiece of Football, with the Great English club ASTON VILLA FC and those associated with it, most notably Mr William Mcgregor, pioneering the league system which is so succesfully used today :wink:
It is home :smile:
-Its climate (not too hot, not too cold)
-The fact that it understands more about autism (at the time) compared to my home country
-The better sounding accents compared to my home country (you can't "not" sound potty there...)

There's no point complaining about the political issues of this country... not when Spain, Greece and numerous 3rd world countries are in a worse position

Quick Reply

Latest