The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Welcome pack? Information for new students?

I've accepted an unconditional offer from Sussex but have not really received any details on my placement and I was getting a bit worried about it. Does anyone know if Sussex sends out a welcome pack or anything with details of what to do when you start.

Does anyone know what happens at all? I'm doing a foundation year which takes place off campus so I'm not sure where I'm supposed to go and stuff.

Any help is appreciated.
Original post by McNuggetsAhoy
I've accepted an unconditional offer from Sussex but have not really received any details on my placement and I was getting a bit worried about it. Does anyone know if Sussex sends out a welcome pack or anything with details of what to do when you start.

Does anyone know what happens at all? I'm doing a foundation year which takes place off campus so I'm not sure where I'm supposed to go and stuff.

Any help is appreciated.

I have an unconditional offer too but from a different university and my uni has not posted anything at my address (except a confirmation update on its portal and a confirmation letter from ucas). I think that most of the universities will post letter/welcome packs after 14th August.
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Original post by universal_set
I have an unconditional offer too but from a different university and my uni has not posted anything at my address (except a confirmation update on its portal and a confirmation letter from ucas). I think that most of the universities will post letter/welcome packs after 14th August.

Yeah I guess you are right. If they don't send me anything I'll give them a call at the end of August and see what the situation is.
Reply 3

Any help is appreciated.

I'm not sure when the University generally send information out but I think it will be via email. In the Students' Union we don't send anything out until after A level students get their results on 14th August.

Jo
Original post by SussexJo
I'm not sure when the University generally send information out but I think it will be via email. In the Students' Union we don't send anything out until after A level students get their results on 14th August.

Jo

Thanks for the response. I've had a few emails but nothing describing where I am meant to go. I'm doing a degree with a foundation year which is off campus in Crawley and although I know the college I'm still without any information on rooms or where you are supposed to go on the first day.

I guess I expected a bit more information. I have an unconditional offer from Sussex so I don't need to wait for my exam results to see if I have got entry to the University so I just assumed I'd get some information a bit more quickly.
Reply 5
Thanks for the response. I've had a few emails but nothing describing where I am meant to go. I'm doing a degree with a foundation year which is off campus in Crawley and although I know the college I'm still without any information on rooms or where you are supposed to go on the first day.

I guess I expected a bit more information. I have an unconditional offer from Sussex so I don't need to wait for my exam results to see if I have got entry to the University so I just assumed I'd get some information a bit more quickly.

Just out of interest, what are you studying? I've just finished my foundation year in Crawley so if you have any questions or need help with anything, feel free to ask :smile:
Original post by JayDog
Just out of interest, what are you studying? I've just finished my foundation year in Crawley so if you have any questions or need help with anything, feel free to ask :smile:

Computer Science. What did you study?

I've got myself a flat in Crawley so that should be fine and live reasonably close so I know what the area is like but I've not received anything from the University to say what rooms you need to go to in the College. So I'm bit nervous about turning up and having no idea where to go.

I suppose you get something nearer the time with instructions? Still I'm pretty excited, I've wanted to study Computer Science for ages. Hopefully the course is good. I've only been able to see what modules it offers but not any detailed information on what the modules contain.
Reply 7
I did Computer Science too,

As far as I was aware, the CS foundation year had been moved on to Sussex Campus this year as the college had lost the contract. Sorry if that confuses you more, that's just what we've been told...

With us, the course coordinator sent us emails with the course handbook and what time we were supposed to be in on the first day. If you're quite familiar with the area then I'm sure you've seen the big tower block in the college, the course was on the top floor of that which is where you'll need to go on the first day but I'd just double check with reception to be sure.

The course is what you make of it really, the lecturers told us on numerous occasions that our year had the worst drop out rate they've seen as almost half of the people that started the year dropped out by the end. A few people did fail too, mainly from not attending lectures and being rather flippant with their work attitudes.

I think a few of the modules are changing too but be prepared for a LOT of maths. It starts out quite simple, stuff like adding fractions etc, just to get everyone onto an equal foundation but quickly gets more intense with things like differentiation, matrices and probability.

Again I'm a million percent sure that they told us the course is going to be held on campus this year, but that was about 4 or 5 weeks ago so things may have changed so sorry if I've confused you more!

Best thing to do would be to call the university direct and speak to someone in the school of Informatics (The school the course comes under). It'd be cool if you let me know the outcome as I'd be interested to hear if it has changed.

Any other questions you'd like me to answer just ask away :smile:
Computer Science. What did you study?

I've got myself a flat in Crawley so that should be fine and live reasonably close so I know what the area is like but I've not received anything from the University to say what rooms you need to go to in the College. So I'm bit nervous about turning up and having no idea where to go.

I suppose you get something nearer the time with instructions? Still I'm pretty excited, I've wanted to study Computer Science for ages. Hopefully the course is good. I've only been able to see what modules it offers but not any detailed information on what the modules contain.

I'd have to agree with the comment below yours too, as far as I've heard it's moved to the main campus. I'm also going to be doing the foundation year, CS. See you there!
Original post by Nathang712
I'd have to agree with the comment below yours too, as far as I've heard it's moved to the main campus. I'm also going to be doing the foundation year, CS. See you there!

Yeah you are both right. The thing that got me was the material I was sent in September / October when I first applied stated that it would be in Crawley but a letter that was sent in May when I was offered the place said it moved to the main campus. Thankfully I had the time to get it sorted out in time so everything is OK.

Looking forward to the course. Sounds quite good as I found the handbook for last years course. It has some decent material in it.
Reply 10
Yeah you are both right. The thing that got me was the material I was sent in September / October when I first applied stated that it would be in Crawley but a letter that was sent in May when I was offered the place said it moved to the main campus. Thankfully I had the time to get it sorted out in time so everything is OK.

Looking forward to the course. Sounds quite good as I found the handbook for last years course. It has some decent material in it.

Is foundation year computer science taught at the main campus in Sussex university this upcoming year 2016? I've firmed Sussex as a choice but I'm worried about being taught at Crawley Sussex college as it's quite far from the main campus. Travel expenses etc would be annoying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending