The Student Room Group

What universities do you 'look down upon'?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MichelBraga
And seriously? Mentioning your expected/requested grades? KCL for instance requires high grades, even if the course in question is completely average. Required grades don't mean nothing.

You're point wasnt the course being average though and neither was mine, your point was the perceived intellectual capacity of the student.
Original post by teen1234
You're point wasnt the course being average though and neither was mine, your point was the perceived intellectual capacity of the student.

You have a point, I had intended to express that students from those unis are more likely to be exposed and estimulated by the very best, therefore becoming more cultuated in their respective subjects. Intellectual capacity was a bad choice of words. My apologies.
You have a point, I had intended to express that students from those unis are more likely to be exposed and estimulated by the very best, therefore becoming more cultuated in their respective subjects. Intellectual capacity was a bad choice of words. My apologies.

Dont worry about it lol.
I think I do look down on any uni's with met or Trent or any uni's that aren't the main universities of the area e.g Uni of Sheffield v. Sheffield Hallam or Uni of Nottingham v. Nottingham Trent so any uni's that have to have something else added to it to distinguish from the more recognised universities i.e Oxford and Oxford Brookes. However I don't think I look down on people that go these universities although I probably don't hold the universities in high regard but other people might, just like how some Oxbridge people don't really have a high regard for some of the uni's I applied to, it doesn't really bother me because if I feel a uni is for me and that it is good enough for me then it doesn't matter. I know people who have gone to less reputable uni's, came out with 3rds but managed to go straight into good graduate positions. The uni you go to doesn't define you, so while I might look down at the uni, I don't look down on the person that goes there because that might well be the best uni for what they want to do or the most realistic uni they can get into with their grades but that doesn't make them stupid or any less talented at what they do or want to do.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Arieisit
Why do people always forget Durham?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Coz its not a top tier uni
Its more Russell group, maybe 50 years ago it was top dog but modern british economy is all about health and finance
Original post by James222
Coz its not a top tier uni
Its more Russell group, maybe 50 years ago it was top dog but modern british economy is all about health and finance

*******s, after Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE and UCL, Durham is one of the best, rivalling with St. Andrews, Edinburgh and Warwick. Maybe not really career focused as the others, but most Durham students tend to do pretty well in their respective areas.
*******s, after Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE and UCL, Durham is one of the best, rivalling with St. Andrews, Edinburgh and Warwick. Maybe not really career focused as the others, but most Durham students tend to do pretty well in their respective areas.

Imperial is a joke
Original post by Yasmin25
I'm surprised no one has said The Open Uni yet. I don't look down on it but its usually a uni you hear a lot of people mock or here they regard it as an uni for 'thick' people or that its just not a uni at all :/

I don't look down on any uni. Yes, some are better than others but its not a competition. To me, as long as people are learning and will get something out of their course is all that matters rather than how prestigious a uni is.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Unfortunately, as an Open University student (now postgrad), this is something I hear all the time. Let me assure you, it is NOT a Uni for thick people, it IS a real Uni offering REAL degrees for people many if whom, like me, have circumstances which do not allow them to attend a brick Uni. In my case I am receiving treatment for cancer and I also have a young family, making it impossible for me to attend Brick Uni. I have worked damned hard for my successes in my OU degree modules; this degree being much harder work than my first BA (Hons) which I got through a Brick Uni, due to the lack of student peer communication and self-discipline to actually study and revise for exams. To have people say it is a place for "thick" people is really offensive.

In my opinion, no university should be "looked down on" - how sad that people actually consider the acquisition of knowledge in such a snobbish way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 108
Original post by teen1234
They'd be just as good dental/medical students at the other unis - AAA minimum at every uni apart from like 4 schools where its A*AA.
Just annoys me when you have people doing a geography degree at say UCL thinking they're 'better' than people at 'lower' unis.

Yeah i know what you mean and imperial!!! :angry: imperial seem to think they are at the hardest uni ever when they basically just walked into offers. Noone understands the dental/medical school scenario like a dental/medical applicant one of the most streasfill things ever haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Imperial is a joke

Aren't you the guy who thinks Kings is best for medicine?
None at all. There are very clever people at every university, including the London Met.
Reply 111
Original post by Caedus
None at all. There are very clever people at every university, including the London Met.

Errrrrr..... no
Original post by K_o_46
Errrrrr..... no

There are 22,000 students attending LMU, I'd therefore find it quite easy to believe that, if given a better school education, a chunk of them would fit right into a good RG or Oxbridge. I think you're confusing upbringing and education with raw intellect.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lady_Glencora
Unfortunately, as an Open University student (now postgrad), this is something I hear all the time. Let me assure you, it is NOT a Uni for thick people, it IS a real Uni offering REAL degrees for people many if whom, like me, have circumstances which do not allow them to attend a brick Uni. In my case I am receiving treatment for cancer and I also have a young family, making it impossible for me to attend Brick Uni. I have worked damned hard for my successes in my OU degree modules; this degree being much harder work than my first BA (Hons) which I got through a Brick Uni, due to the lack of student peer communication and self-discipline to actually study and revise for exams. To have people say it is a place for "thick" people is really offensive.

In my opinion, no university should be "looked down on" - how sad that people actually consider the acquisition of knowledge in such a snobbish way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I totally agree with you. I'm doing Bsc (hons) Natural Sciences with OU and I'm forever being looked down upon by those who don't deem it as real and things like that. Its certainly not an easy way to a degree as people seem to think. I would say its harder tbh as the motivation you need to stick to the work is very high. Its so easy to slip back and if you miss one day of work with OU, it feels like you have missed a weeks worth! I also chose OU due to health reasons and even though I'm better now, I still wouldn't want to go to a brick uni to do my degree, might go to a brick uni for my masters but I'm just taking it a course at a time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by maryamzahid
funny story (not really funny but yeah), last year I went to a Higher Education fair and saw Open University and the first thing I asked them was "is open university a real university?" and the guy behind the desk flipped out. I wasn't being mean I just didn't know if it was real or not.

Anyway, I don't look down on universities, though some are considered more prestigious than others. I wouldn't want to go to a university that doesn't teach my course well, other than that, I don't mind where I go just as long as I get a degree.

Aww the guy shouldn't have flipped out at you. Its ok to ask if its actually a real uni. To not actually know if it is a real uni is fine. Its those who do know its a real uni offering real degrees but refuse to see it as a real uni or refuse to see the degrees as worthwhile as a degree from a brick uni that are annoying and offensive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Le Nombre
All the ones on the coast are generally quite low.

And Cherwell Poly, natch.

My local university is Bucks New University. I spent many years looking down on it. It's at the bottom of a hill.
Original post by GrahamRodney
Aren't you the guy who thinks Kings is best for medicine?

If I had a million pounds to fund some sort of research I would never pick imperial
Its just 2nd in alot of things
anything with the word met in it , but courses vary at different unis so the uni isnt the only thing that matters
Original post by Caedus

I agree, a number of my friends got 'bad' a level grades aka BBB and below but they're just as intelligent as me. They got straight A*s/As at GCSE but just didnt try in their a levels.
On paper I may look more intelligent because I got A*A*A and Im studying dentistry- but in reality this isn't the case.
Imperial is a joke

I'm trying to guess where do you study based on your smugness... it can't be KCL, it would be funny, but your infant mental age combines with it tho.

Maybe LSE or UCL... Am I right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending