The Student Room Group

Personal Statement boosters for History applicants/current uni History students

I've decided that I'm going to apply for Joint Honours in English and History; however, I've realised that, although I have read widely for English and have a lot to write about for English on my Personal Statement, I have not done much outside of my normal academic studies for History. Aside from reading a few books (Orwell mostly) which complement the course, I'm scraping around for stuff to include and am so going to do a lot over the summer. So, my questions are the following:

1. What books (both fiction and non-fiction) would you recommend reading that I could write about in my Personal Statement? What books did you include in your PS?

2. What kind of extra activities would an admissions tutor look favourably upon in relation to History? What kind of work experience would help?

I realise that some people would say that if you haven't done much outside of school so far then it's not something you'll enjoy studying at uni, but that's not the case.

Thank you! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by perflous
I've decided that I'm going to apply for Joint Honours in English and History; however, I've realised that, although I have read widely for English and have a lot to write about for English on my Personal Statement, I have not done much outside of my normal academic studies for History. Aside from reading a few books (Orwell mostly) which complement the course, I'm scraping around for stuff to include and am so going to do a lot over the summer. So, my questions are the following:

1. What books (both fiction and non-fiction) would you recommend reading that I could write about in my Personal Statement? What books did you include in your PS?

2. What kind of extra activities would an admissions tutor look favourably upon in relation to History? What kind of work experience would help?

I realise that some people would say that if you haven't done much outside of school so far then it's not something you'll enjoy studying at uni, but that's not the case.

Thank you! :smile:

It doesn't sound like you necessarily love history. What about it makes you want to study it? Is there a specific time period you're interested in? As for activities, you could volunteer at a museum or a historic site.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Coffeetime
It doesn't sound like you necessarily love history. What about it makes you want to study it? Is there a specific time period you're interested in? As for activities, you could volunteer at a museum or a historic site.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do enjoy History, it just so happens that most of my wider reading and current extracurricular activities are more relevant to English instead of History. I was really just wondering what current History students wrote on their personal statements and if there are any good books that would look impressive on a PS.
You could talk about the historical context of Orwell's novels e.g. 1984 and why this inspires you to study both history and English.

For extra Curricular activities I volunteered for two museums and stated why this supported me love of history. Also attend taster days and talk about what you learned. I attended taster day at Goldsmiths centered around the routes of modern antisemitism and it really made me reconsider my view.

Another thing I found useful is to look at current events in the news and compare it to past events. I compared the current crisis in the Middle East with the Prague Spring of the 60's.

I didn't actually mention any extra reading and even if you do it doesn't have to be purely a historical book. Like I mentioned before 1984 would be a good one to talk about.
Original post by perflous
I do enjoy History, it just so happens that most of my wider reading and current extracurricular activities are more relevant to English instead of History. I was really just wondering what current History students wrote on their personal statements and if there are any good books that would look impressive on a PS.

I'm applying this year for ancient history. I'm going to mention the historical sights I've visited and how they have helped me develop my interests.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending