The Student Room Group

Uni halls vs private halls London First Year

Hi all,

Have been looking at private halls for accommodation as a first year (starting uni in september)... I would prefer living in a studio (private halls) as opposed to ensuite (uni halls) because I want my own space. Also I'm more of an early morning person than a late night worker - don't know if this would change when I go to uni.

I would hope to spend some free time at uni halls - particularly in the first few months to get to know people - so I wouldn't be missing out on the social aspects. Also, at the end of the day I would prefer to sort out what kind of room I'm getting as early as possible - rather than be told about my second/third choice accommodation in uni halls, a few weeks before term starts.

so my question is: Are there many first years in private halls? What's the experience like for them? or am I totally missing something here, and private halls are not for first years?
I lived in private halls for my first year (WAAAAAAAAAY expensive)...

Anyway, I would actually advise against it unless you are one of these outgoing people who actively seek others out or go partying on a regular basis or have friends over (however close).
It can get incredibly depressing if you have nothing to do, your mates are revising or simply can't come over for whatever reason. At least you have flat mates there.

I wouldn't go for a private hall again if I could help it...
Am now living with 2 mates starting next year (September this year) and couldn't be happier (and the rent is half what I was paying in my first year). =D
Original post by SolsterManzzi
Hi all,

Have been looking at private halls for accommodation as a first year (starting uni in september)... I would prefer living in a studio (private halls) as opposed to ensuite (uni halls) because I want my own space. Also I'm more of an early morning person than a late night worker - don't know if this would change when I go to uni.

I would hope to spend some free time at uni halls - particularly in the first few months to get to know people - so I wouldn't be missing out on the social aspects. Also, at the end of the day I would prefer to sort out what kind of room I'm getting as early as possible - rather than be told about my second/third choice accommodation in uni halls, a few weeks before term starts.

so my question is: Are there many first years in private halls? What's the experience like for them? or am I totally missing something here, and private halls are not for first years?

It's true most first years go into university owned halls or intercollegiate halls if they go to UoL, largely because they are directed to apply for them. Whilst there may be some first year students in private halls (largely those who didnt get a place in uni owned halls) they tend to be favoured more by 2nd years+ and international students, especially in London where the cost is beyond the reach of most British undergrads. They don't tend to be massively sociable and living in a studio you might never see your flatmates, its really hit or miss. You will need to have some sort of income besides your student loan as it won't cover the cost of a studio.

Your plan to spend some free time in uni halls is great but you have to know people and get invited back to theirs first, you can't just wonder in.
Original post by Scienceisgood
I lived in private halls for my first year (WAAAAAAAAAY expensive)...

Anyway, I would actually advise against it unless you are one of these outgoing people who actively seek others out or go partying on a regular basis or have friends over (however close).
It can get incredibly depressing if you have nothing to do, your mates are revising or simply can't come over for whatever reason. At least you have flat mates there.

I wouldn't go for a private hall again if I could help it...
Am now living with 2 mates starting next year (September this year) and couldn't be happier (and the rent is half what I was paying in my first year). =D

Hey,

Hope you don’t mind jumping in here! I just wanted to let you know about our exciting new student accommodation Spring Mews located in Vauxhall (London Zone 1) opening this September called Spring Mews. On top of our great location we also have a swimming pool, gym, cinema and music room with great social spaces and a roof terrace to hang out and meet your new neighbours!

We have a choice of a more social en suite room in a shared flat or a studio. We do have a lot of 1 years as well as 2nd/3rd and postgrads so there is a real mix of students. You can give our accommodation manager Katie a call and she can let you know the percentage of 1st years etc if that helps give you a better idea of who will be living at the building. We also plan a lot of social activities throughout the year to help everyone in the building get to know each other!

Access to all the facilities and all bills are included with free WiFi. Give us a call on 07557 644 460 and we can give you any info you might need and book you in for a viewing! Or take a look at our website for more details and more of London buildings - http://freshstudentliving.co.uk/locations/london/

Many thanks
Katie @ Fresh
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Hi all,

I lived in private halls in my first year and loved it (i also stayed in a studio for the same reason as you!). I was worried about how it might effect my social life too but didn't find it a problem at all. I made friends on my course, by joining societes and just generally around uni but also got the added bonus of making friends in my accommodation who didn't go to my uni.

I stayed in a place called liberty house which is a great location and everyone there is so friendly including the staff! My friends from uni were actually jelous haha.

Anyway, hope this helps!
Original post by EmmaL14
I lived in private halls in my first year and loved it (i also stayed in a studio for the same reason as you!). I was worried about how it might effect my social life too but didn't find it a problem at all. I made friends on my course, by joining societes and just generally around uni but also got the added bonus of making friends in my accommodation who didn't go to my uni.

I stayed in a place called liberty house which is a great location and everyone there is so friendly including the staff! My friends from uni were actually jelous haha.

Anyway, hope this helps!

Thank you - glad to hear it worked out well for someone!
Reply 6
Thank you - glad to hear it worked out well for someone!

No problem! - I would really recommend where I lived.
Don´t live at Spring Mews (Vauxhall). It´s the worst place and you just have to deal with problems every day. 9 month living here was the worst decision I could make and if I can prevent anybody from making the same mistake than I did (moving in here) than I am happy. They promise you so many things, and all them are just lies. Invest your money in a cheaper and better accommodation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending