The Student Room Group

IGCSE Advise

Hi Folks

I would be really grateful is someone could help me out :smile:

I have just completed one IGCSE in ICT, I have to do another (at least 3) I was thinking English, Math, and Business studies. can anyone recommend the best way of studying them independently and any resources i might use. also possibly a 5th subject that may suite along those lines. (or do you think 4 would be enough for a college)

Thanks
Appreciate it!
James
Original post by JamesDavidKnight
Hi Folks

I would be really grateful is someone could help me out :smile:

I have just completed one IGCSE in ICT, I have to do another (at least 3) I was thinking English, Math, and Business studies. can anyone recommend the best way of studying them independently and any resources i might use. also possibly a 5th subject that may suite along those lines. (or do you think 4 would be enough for a college)

Thanks
Appreciate it!
James

Hi! I've just finished my igcses and I would definitely recommend doing a 5th igcse as some jobs and colleges need 5 gcse (or igcse) passes at A*-C. Maths and English Language are compulsory, a good 5th subject might be a humanities like geography or history. You could also do a science igcse or a double award science if you want. Also a another igcse subject would widen your choices for a level. I would recommend getting the exam board book for that subject and learning out of that, for example, I have an Edexcel igcse geography book because I was doing my geography igcse with the Edexcel board. Always refer closely to the syllabus in case the book has missed something out. Use the internet for resources, I used it to get better case studies for geography (I don't why I keep using geography as my main example lol :tongue:).
Hope this helps!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Well which board are your IGCSEs?
Im not really sure yet, I haven't selected a board yet, It will most likely be Edexcel, they seem most popular.
Thank-You! that is really helpful. The college I am considering is Cambridge regional college studying the 1 year diploma, along side an external candidate A level Business studies and ICT. the entry requirements for Cambs is 4 GCSE's grade a*-c (at least) I also have 5 years of references from working as an IT Consultant, I have a industry recognised qualification that governs IT professions (CompTIA A+) im also taking various modules with Microsoft training. I think with maybe 1 extra GCSE (I hope and pray) my application will be strong enough because it is a respected college. I think I would struggle with history or geography is there anything relating to perhaps sound engineering? something along those lines?

Thanks
James

Original post by AppleBlossoms
Hi! I've just finished my igcses and I would definitely recommend doing a 5th igcse as some jobs and colleges need 5 gcse (or igcse) passes at A*-C. Maths and English Language are compulsory, a good 5th subject might be a humanities like geography or history. You could also do a science igcse or a double award science if you want. Also a another igcse subject would widen your choices for a level. I would recommend getting the exam board book for that subject and learning out of that, for example, I have an Edexcel igcse geography book because I was doing my geography igcse with the Edexcel board. Always refer closely to the syllabus in case the book has missed something out. Use the internet for resources, I used it to get better case studies for geography (I don't why I keep using geography as my main example lol :tongue:).
Hope this helps!
Thank-You! that is really helpful. The college I am considering is Cambridge regional college studying the 1 year diploma, along side an external candidate A level Business studies and ICT. the entry requirements for Cambs is 4 GCSE's grade a*-c (at least) I also have 5 years of references from working as an IT Consultant, I have a industry recognised qualification that governs IT professions (CompTIA A+) im also taking various modules with Microsoft training. I think with maybe 1 extra GCSE (I hope and pray) my application will be strong enough because it is a respected college. I think I would struggle with history or geography is there anything relating to perhaps sound engineering? something along those lines?

Thanks
James

Oh maybe physics igcse will be more your area? You could always try a language if you're good at them. I don't know if there are any igcses related to sound engineering, the closest I can think of is physics... I know there's an electronics gcse, not sure if it's available for igcse, perhaps you could look at all the subjects your exam board offers and decide from there.

Thanks
James

I would go for physics too. :smile: I did Edexcel IGCSE separate science and CIE maths. I would also recommend the CGP revision guides. I found them more helpful than some of the teachers and all I did for revision was literally memorising them. :biggrin: The exams went well in general I think(waiting for results to come out), so it was at least workable lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey :smile:

Thanks for the advise, It sounds great but I think id find it a struggle, I'm not the brightest when it comes to English and Math so I'm going to find that a battle, what do you think the easies course is ?

Thanks
James

Original post by WinterWind
I would go for physics too. :smile: I did Edexcel IGCSE separate science and CIE maths. I would also recommend the CGP revision guides. I found them more helpful than some of the teachers and all I did for revision was literally memorising them. :biggrin: The exams went well in general I think(waiting for results to come out), so it was at least workable lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey :smile:

Thanks for the advise, It sounds great but I think id find it a struggle, I'm not the brightest when it comes to English and Math so I'm going to find that a battle, what do you think the easies course is ?

Thanks
James

The easiest course for me was maths, but the easiest exam I had was chemistry:biggrin: I think at this stage maths is really just about practice, you can find loads of past papers and mark schemes on the internet:smile: Probably get a workbook as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I definitely need to hunt down some resources, I have found a text book for IGCSE math but can't seem to find one for English, were did you study or was it mostly text books ?

James
I definitely need to hunt down some resources, I have found a text book for IGCSE math but can't seem to find one for English, were did you study or was it mostly text books ?

James

I didn't have a textbook for maths:tongue: Actually I rarely used them - I found revision guides more useful because they are much, much more concise (especially good for people like me who count on last minute revision :wink:).
Is this the English textbook you are looking for? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-International-English-Student-ActiveBook/dp/0435991264/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1404531288&sr=8-2&keywords=igcse+english+first+language+edexcel
(edited 9 years ago)
You were up seriously early! ha.

That link looks perfect, Your methods sound a lot like mine, I don't like to cramming text books, but prefer to be comfortable with what I (am pretty sure) will appear on the exam, I recently took an IGCSE for ICT, I didn't do any revision what so ever, just took a past paper, got good grades on that and went for it and I feel it went okay the questions were pretty much the same from the past paper!

So you would recommend using revision guides and how long do you think it could take me to be ready for the 3 ?

Thanks for your help :smile:

James
You were up seriously early! ha.

That link looks perfect, Your methods sound a lot like mine, I don't like to cramming text books, but prefer to be comfortable with what I (am pretty sure) will appear on the exam, I recently took an IGCSE for ICT, I didn't do any revision what so ever, just took a past paper, got good grades on that and went for it and I feel it went okay the questions were pretty much the same from the past paper!

So you would recommend using revision guides and how long do you think it could take me to be ready for the 3 ?

Thanks for your help :smile:

James

The 3 you mean maths, English and physics? I don't think it will take very long, at my school they finish 8-10 IGCSEs in one year ( for GCSEs it takes two years). So for only 3 subjects maybe a couple of months? It depends on what grades you are aiming for:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
The 3 you mean maths, English and physics? I don't think it will take very long, at my school they finish 8-10 IGCSEs in one year ( for GCSEs it takes two years). So for only 3 subjects maybe a couple of months? It depends on what grades you are aiming for:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

And also I wouldn't recommend sitting the Edexcel IGCSE exams in January unless you feel fairly confident about them. Many people retake their IGCSEs at this time of the year so the grade boundaries are usually higher. But if you feel confident then that's not a problem:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Well actually i guess 4, it would be English, Math, Business studies and Physics I have until June next year to be ready and only around an hour a day to study do you think thats achievable ?

James
Oh thats cool I didnt even know that you could take your exams January :smile:
I was thinking of going for the June summer exams.

And also I wouldn't recommend sitting exams in January unless you are 100% confident. Many people retake their IGCSEs at this time of the year so the grade boundaries are usually higher. But if you feel confident then that's not a problem:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well actually i guess 4, it would be English, Math, Business studies and Physics I have until June next year to be ready and only around an hour a day to study do you think thats achievable ?

James

I didn't do business but someone who did told me it was quite straightforward, so probably won't take so long to prepare. One hour a day is probably a bit insufficient, but it all depends on what kind of foundation you already have. If you didn't find most topics totally unfamiliar it could be achievable, just spend more time on your weaker subjects:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would love to do more but (because I work) I'm probably going to find it near impossible, I considered going for a distance learning corse to structure my hours a little more but to be honest I think I'll find it difficult, I have abit of foundation for business a did a past paper and was 3 marks off a C , Math was pretty poor I got 22/100 , I Havnt done an English paper yet. I'm pretty determined so can put a lot of effort and time into revising (I can take my revision notes to work).

What do you think to the distance learning centres ?

I didn't do business but someone who did told me it was quite straightforward, so probably won't take so long to prepare. One hour a day is probably a bit insufficient, but it all depends on what kind of foundation you already have. If you didn't find most topics totally unfamiliar it could be achievable, just spend more time on your weaker subjects:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would love to do more but (because I work) I'm probably going to find it near impossible, I considered going for a distance learning corse to structure my hours a little more but to be honest I think I'll find it difficult, I have abit of foundation for business a did a past paper and was 3 marks off a C , Math was pretty poor I got 22/100 , I Havnt done an English paper yet. I'm pretty determined so can put a lot of effort and time into revising (I can take my revision notes to work).

What do you think to the distance learning centres ?

I don't know much about distance learning:redface: It sounds a good idea. Just keep working hard, I'm sure you will get whatever grades you've aimed for next year:smile: As for maths remember it's all about practice, practice, practice!

Quick Reply

Latest